Snakes in Pop-up placed on ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snakes in Pop-up placed on ground

cant decide what to do. Part of me does not want to elevate but the other part is worried about finding a snake in my blind.
    Suggestions?
    Who has found a snake in the blind?
    or
    Should I not even worry?

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've left mine out year round and never found a snake in mine.

Comment

I don't worry about it, but won't go so far as to say I haven't thought about it, especially in south Texas. I just shine my light around real good in the mornings before I get in, then check the floor every once in while during the hunt. I also don't reach down to pick anything up off the ground that I have laying by me without looking around real good first.

Comment

I had a copper head crawl in. Came in under the chair and between my feet from behind. I beat him and the blind to death with the chair.

Comment

I have been in west tx for awhile now, so far no problems but i am beginning to think the odds are stacking up against me. I built some short elevated stands about 3' off the ground and put plywood with tie downs for the popup. They are a *&^%$ to move when you want another setup, but it feels a little better being off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by finfeather98 View Post
            cant decide what to do. Part of me does not want to elevate but the other part is worried about finding a snake in my blind.
            Suggestions?
            Who has found a snake in the blind?
            or
            Should I not even worry?
            I always scan the ground inside the blind with a flashlight before getting in. However, one cool morning after sitting there for about and hour I saw a copperhead hidden in the leaves in the corner of the blind. Ever since then I started pitching the blind on top of a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. That makes it much easier to see if anything has taken up residence.

Comment

I used to hunt out of double bull pop ups. Snakes, scorpions and spiders were just part of the deal. The mice would get in it and the snakes would follow. I switched to Krivoman blinds and have not had anything get in since. We tried snake away and everything else we could think of with the pop ups. We leave ours in place most of the year because we also hunt exotics and hogs. Wish I had video of fighting a copperhead with an arrow in my popup.
              Last edited by speck1; 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I have always worried about this because I always put mine on the ground. I was told that if you put rocks or something on the flaps on the bottom that I wouldn't have to worry about snakes getting in. Don't know if it works but I always try to put as much on the flaps as possible.

Comment

No snakes but always check it out good before I settle in. Always have spiders though so I left some of the Windows (flaps) open last time I was there hoping that more light in it would help keep from attracting them. Did leave the webbing up though. This is a big concern but I don't think you can beat a pop up for bowhunting.

Comment

I always worried about it too. So far I've been lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found a rattle snake in my blind, after the rats took it over. We took a couple pallets for each blind and two sheets of plywood and made a small base, cheap and so far has kept the rats out of the blinds. They are probably under the pallet, but they ain't in the blind so I don't care.

Comment

I personally have been very lucky as far as snakes go, but have had my share of scorpions out west. They like those little pockets sewn into the sides for small item storage and they get into the nylon pockets were the carbon rods are in the corners.

A buddy of mine put his out near the Trinity River a couple years ago, crawled in it next morning. It was cool, not old. As daylight began to break where he could see the ground, he found 2 baby copperheads and a juvenile moccasin in the leaves beside his feet. He text'd me a pic and told me he found a copperhead in his blind. It sent him a text back and told him, "man you need to learn to identify your snakes better that's a juvenile moccasin! Later on, I looked at the pic a little closer and zoomed in on it and there WAS a copperhead AND a moccasin! He had not seen the moccasin until I text'd him back!! He killed all three by stabbing them with an arra. I told him he was braver than me! I'd have blown up the whole blind getting out of there and likely got bit. I HATE SNAKES, especially the ones I cannot see and i know that they are there.

Comment

I'm always worried about snakes and other creatures coming into my popups so I always build a small stand to place them on. I usually build them 2-3' high with extra materials I have lying around.

Comment

No snakes or wasps, but I have a few toads that get in the blind sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                              I have always worried about this because I always put mine on the ground. I was told that if you put rocks or something on the flaps on the bottom that I wouldn't have to worry about snakes getting in. Don't know if it works but I always try to put as much on the flaps as possible.
                              Before we bought our Krivoman a couple years ago we used pop-ups and never had an issue with snakes. We had indoor/outdoor carpet on the ground and then did like you said and piled dirt/sand all around the bottom edge of the blind.

Comment

Working...
                              X