8x12 Bunk Hut/Cabin Project (w/ pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8x12 Bunk Hut/Cabin Project (w/ pics)

I will preface this by saying we are down to the wire of having somewhere to sleep on a new small lease we just got on a month ago. So I am throwing together this little hut, it isn't a Swiss watch lol by any means.

I searched for cheap campers (under $1000) but didn't have much luck. I had about 60 2x4x16s left from our home builder and thought why not just build a small bunk hut to keep us warm and dry, run power off a generator, and build a lean to porch off of it.

This bunk hut will have two twin bunk beds on either side, shelf In between the bunk beds for coffee maker, microwave, and power strip for all the above and to charge phones. Also going to equip it with a small AC window unit.

It will be tight in there but it's for sleeping not hanging out.

Past few days I have the front wall, back wall, and floor frames done. Gonna put it on two 4x6x12 treated skids for portability. Outside will be painted wood siding. It will be lean to style roof with a 3 inch drop and corrugated metal roof.

Following....Can always had another room down the line. Good luck and hurry up with pics/progress. :-)

Comment

Great Idea, We stay in a 8 x 16' on our Splendora lease and have been in the same building for ~18 years.
      Try making a Travel trailer last that long in the East Texas humid funk.

Luckily we have camp restroom and shower to use separate from out bunk house.

We did bunks on one end and a wall to wall stainless counter with sink and microwave on the other. Table in the middle with chairs and TV.

You might want to consider adding insulation between the studs, ours was like heating and cooling a tent until we did that.
      Last edited by DaveC; 09-24-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Sure beats sleeping in your truck! Happy hunting....

Comment

Dont feel bad I started one in June thats not done yet. I could sleep in it if I wanted but theres no lectricity to it. Hope to get that near comleted this weekend between hunts.

Comment

I'm in

Comment

We rolled in an 8x8 for years. Three bunks on one wall. Another on an adjacent wall with one shelf. It sucked when it was raining with four dudes in there huddled up but you sure didn't have to reach far for a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post
                We rolled in an 8x8 for years. Three bunks on one wall. Another on an adjacent wall with one shelf. It sucked when it was raining with four dudes in there huddled up but you sure didn't have to reach far for a beer.

Haha that's awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post

Comment

I build this one along the same lines 10 years ago and it works like a champ. I actually think I have more room inside than a similar sized camper. This one is 8x16 with 4 bunks but really sleeps 2 very comfortably. We do have electricity so its wired with A/C and heat. It fit nicely on at tandem 16' trailer. Over the years, the porch has grown but that is about the only additions. Like you said, it is really used to sleep in as we hang out outside by the campfire until its bedtime.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That's awesome what did you use for siding? Any pics of the inside?

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                        That's awesome what did you use for siding? Any pics of the inside?
                        I will see if I can find any inside pics. The siding is the 4x8 sheets of primed siding from Home depot. On the inside its finished with OSB. I did not use insulation in the walls or floor but kid of wished I had. I can heat and cool it just fine under normal conditions but on those rare occasions where it gets 20or below, I can only raise the temp about 30 degrees with my space heater. I did seal every layer with caulk which I think helps as well as keeps it bug proof!

Comment

I don't seem to have any interior pics on my work computer. I will try and look tonight at home. Basically I build bunks on both ends. A small counter on the back wall which holds a coffee pot and microwave. The front wall has a small table and bench seats

Comment

That's a really nice set up.

Comment

A few years ago I had it for sale just because I wanted to build a new one, bigger and better! Anyway, the posting had several interior pics so you can see on this this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X