Sandhill crane recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandhill crane recipe

Looking for a good sandhill recipe. Ive heard it's some mighty fine eating. I only have one so I can't do any experimenting, want it done right the first time.

Cook it the same as you would bald eagle, hawk, whooping crane, pelican or red cockaded woodpecker.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
      Cook it the same as you would bald eagle, hawk, whooping crane, pelican or red cockaded woodpecker.

Comment

Funny.

Comment

Unfortunately I have never had any but I heard it is great. Ribeye in the sky. I would say you could start off by marinating and grilling it medium rare...don't overcook it.

Comment

here one i like, Start with:
            1-2 Lb = two Sandhill cranes breasts, thinly sliced Sandhill crane breast
            10 TBS Kikkoman Soy Sauce
            4 TBS Brown Sugar
            4 Tsp Minced Garlic
            1 1/4 TSP Cayenne Pepper

Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic & cayenne pepper. Marinate crane breast meat in marinade for anywhere from six hours to over night in the refrigerator depending on how spicy you like it. Remove from marinade and place on plate you need to let the meat warm just a bit before placing on hot coals, once warmed to room tempter it's time to cook. Grill on BBQ using a flat screen style tray, other wise the thinly sliced crane will fall on to coals. Cook crane until nicely browned just as with all waterfowl do not over cook as meat is thin it will cook very quickly depending on how hot your coals are. This pre meal entree goes very well with a fine bottle of your favorite beer

Comment

I'd like to know as well - there must be a good way to cook them but I have not found it. I tried to cook them a couple of times - cooked them like I would a goose - but they were inedible - a bite or two and into the trash they went. I hate wasting game so I've never shot another one.

Comment

Bacon, bacon, bacon.....

I like to cube up the breast, wrap in bacon, and grill to medium rare/medium. Over cook it and it will taste like liver or boot leather... Jason Slocum

Comment

I like the ideas guys, thanks.

Comment

I love to Chicken fry it. we used to have a lease they would fly over and we would bring at least 6 home every weekend. Just soak them in salt water for a few min to draw out some of the blood.

Comment

Grill them just like a big ol' ribeye steak. Hot fire, medium rare! Also eat them as fajita meat sometimes. Fiesta Steak Seasoning is the only prep I use for them.

Comment

cut in cubes marinate in melted butter wrap with bacon and grill. they are good

Comment

We have made them like backstraps before. We cut slits into the meat and pack them with cream cheese, wrap with a ton of bacon and cook it till the bacon is done. They really are awesome, they are the ribeye of the sky. Anyone that says throw them away they arent any good has obviously never tried them or cooked them right. One time we but onions in with the cream cheese and they turned out amazing. Good luck and post some pics!

Comment

Rib Eye Of The Sky

Take each half of breast and butterfly it open. Wrap a good quality spicey sausage inside (can be precooked type) yet a good boudin is hard to beat.

Wrap this whole new big sausage looking thing in bacon and put it on the grill. Slow cook it until done to medium / med rare. Don't overcook it. Slice the piece in 1 to 1-1/2 inch medallions. With some wild rice done in some good liquid stock, mushrooms, and other fixins you'll be wishing you had more.

Comment

Had some marinated and grilled medium this weekend and it was tender and tasted good. Taste a little like dove and has a similar consistency but overall i would eat it again

Comment

Working...
                              X