2008 Silverado 5.3L V8 Oil Sending Unit replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 Silverado 5.3L V8 Oil Sending Unit replacement

My oil pressure on my truck dropped and alarm/warning sounded.
    I let the truck sit for about five minutes and the oil pressure went back up.
    I have searched all over the place looking for videos on how to replace it.
    Cannot find any. Shop manual tells me where the part is located and not much help on how to replace it.

Anybody out there replaced this part before?
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sure its not just the sensor? My 03 did that.

Comment

Everything is pointing to the sending unit. The filter inside could be gummed up.
      It was even suggested to replace oil filter and see if the new one seals better. I just had the oil changed in December, but I might replace the filter as well.

Comment

I have the same exact truck and mine did the same exact thing . All the dash alarms were going off so I shut it down after about 10 mins I decided to try and get home started it and the alarms were still going off and oil pressure was 0 but the engine sounded fine not rattling so bought a sensor $60 bones replaced it and all is fine now .. I pulled out the little filter below the sensor and chunked it don't need it its just something else to him up .. The sensor is on the fire wall on the back of the motor dead center .. Takes a 1 1/4" socket use a swivel and a extension takes about 10 min once you find the sensor ..

Comment

Thanks Grulla

Comment

Just searched you question. U-Tube has videos on the subject.

Comment

Just look for the biggest PITA place to get to. Seems like thats where the things that need to be replaced often are going to be.

Comment

My 05 did the same thing. Had to pull the engine to replace a $100 part. Started on it myself, ended up having my Mechanic do it instead. Good luck

Comment

My 2004 did the same thing. Dealer recommended using an oil filter with a check valve. Solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex1986 View Post
                    My 2004 did the same thing. Dealer recommended using an oil filter with a check valve. Solved the problem.

did you do that?

Comment

I have a 2006 5.3l suburban. That the "O" ring on the oil pump at the oil pick up in the oil pan was bad. It had about 190,000 miles on it and I think this is a common problem on these chevy engines with high miles. The oil pump was sucking air and making my oil pressure drop.

Hopefully on your its just the sensor, from what I read your gauge shows low pressure but you don't actually have low oil pressure in the motor.

On mine the lifters started knocking when you cranked it up and I had to kill it and restart for it to stop before I got it fixed.

Comment

Good to know I have an 08.

Comment

yes start with the oil pressure sensor and make sure you replace the screen under it, those trucks have also had issues with the oil pump. Like the others have said if the engine is not ticking then it is the sensor, usually not even the sensor just the screen getting clogged, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                            did you do that?
                            The dealer did it for me. It was just a different filter than what I had been using in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex1986 View Post
                              The dealer did it for me. It was just a different filter than what I had been using in the past.
                              does that require you to get oil changes at the dealer ship?

Comment

Working...
                              X