Caprock Canyons State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caprock Canyons State Park

We were selected for the 1/7 - 1/9 Exotics hunt at Caprock. Has anyone ever hunted Caprock? Tips/Advice? Thanks.....
    Last edited by Farmhand; 09-16-2014, 03:38 PM.

Lucky dog, that is going to be a fun hunt. I do not have anything to add but will be following.

Comment

I got a ram two years ago on the hunt. Hunt all day long no going in for lunch. To short of a hunt. It gets cold that time of year. We camped and it was in the teens and windy. Bring good binoculars and glass all day. It really depends on the compartment you get. The real rugged cliffs will hold aoudad all day long. The open compartments will having aoudad passing thru. Out of 6 groups one group wounded a big ram and another shot two small ones. We saw probably twenty different aoudad no real big rams but they are there. It is supper steep in some parts and shots can be far if you cant close the distance. Don't forget your hunter orange. Good luck

Comment

We hunted there about ten years ago and took an old barren ewe and a hog. Our area was the northwest corner area. The first day we made the climb to the top, but the second day we had them drop us off on the county road on the backside. It was only about a 100 yd climb from the road to the top.

Its a fun hunt.

Comment

Beautiful scenery and a fun hunt! I didn't see any but I'd hunt there again in a heartbeat!

Comment

Thank you all for the information. It will be a good time!

Comment

My kids got drawn for the Mule Deer hunt. We will be there Jan 2-4th. Will let you know if we see any Aoudad.

BH

Comment

Starting out with morning orientation at 22 degrees! My Dad and I will be giving some live updates "redoak77"

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Good luck. Hope you get one!!!!

Comment

Started out this morning after orientation at about 10:30 and started the hunt, walk in to our unit about 2,300 acres. As you can imagine this is part of Palo Duo Canyon it is all up and down, it is a good looking area to hunt. We have seen a lot of signs and game trails, but no Auodad today. However Farmhand did take hog and we are cooking the back strap as I write. Pics to follow

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

That's a lot of pork. Congrats!

Which pasture are y'all hunting?

Comment

Nice hog! Sounds like a fun hunt.

Comment

We are hunting in unit one, which is north east of the station and just west of the county road. One of the rangers said her son has seen a lot of Auodad there, hopefully we will some today.

Comment

Working...
                              X