Bike / Stand / Cart set up for Laguna Atascosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike / Stand / Cart set up for Laguna Atascosa

Anyone have pics of their set up for this hunt? This will be my first year and ready to start putting a bike together. What kind of bike is best? Im planning to go deep. Any particular model, tires, speed , etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who reply.

I just have a mountain bike with a bow rack on the handle bars

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      I just have a mountain bike with a bow rack on the handle bars
      Man, if thats all i really need...that will be awesome. Im all about traveling light. I was thinking that hunters had bikes that looked like tanks....all rigged up....and pulling a cart.

Comment

Replace the tubes on your bike with the solid inserts.

Comment

This is my setup... It's worked pretty good in the past, hopefully I can put it to good use on this years hunt as well.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
            This is my setup... It's worked pretty good in the past, hopefully I can put it to good use on this years hunt as well.

That looks like it will work right there! What exactly do you use the bike for? Do you use it from the hunt check station....all the way in? Or, can you drive your vehicle in the refuge on the "service road" as shown on the map....and then use your bike to get in the brush?

Comment

You use the service road and bike or walk in from there. I'm not really in shape to ride a bike in after last year. I prefer walking in and so that way I'm able to spot and stalk if I wanted and not have to worry about walking all the way back to get my bike.

This is how I got my nilgai out. It was so much easier to walk than ride a bike. But to each their own.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344538566.071105.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	24101842

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                You use the service road and bike or walk in from there. I'm not really in shape to ride a bike in after last year. I prefer walking in and so that way I'm able to spot and stalk if I wanted and not have to worry about walking all the way back to get my bike.

This is how I got my nilgai out. It was so much easier to walk than ride a bike. But to each their own.
                [ATTACH]374064[/ATTACH]
                So in this pic, you are on the service road, next to your truck, right? You just have to drag your game back to the service road? You can drive your vehicle all the way to the back / section 5...and then walk or bike in? If this is correct, awesome! I was thinking that that service road was only to be used by bikes.

Comment

Yes you can drive along the fence of the adjoining ranch to the east but you park on the side and walk/bike in to the left/west to your spot. You can drive to the bottom of 5 and that's as far as your driving.

Comment

In the pic I was about 3/4 mile from my truck. We had to drag it to one of the roads and load it up on the wagon. That wagon had to be the easiest way I had ever gotten an animal that size out.

Comment

in 2007 or 2008 not sure which i killed two cows on different days. we got them to the two track road and the refuge people opened the locked gate and let us drive to them, has this changed?

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                        In the pic I was about 3/4 mile from my truck. We had to drag it to one of the roads and load it up on the wagon. That wagon had to be the easiest way I had ever gotten an animal that size out.
                        That looks like it worked out good. A friend shot one last year with a muzzle loader and it split his deer cart in half! Hey, what type of shot placement did you rely on to bring that beast down? Same vitals as a deer...double lung'em?

Comment

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
                          in 2007 or 2008 not sure which i killed two cows on different days. we got them to the two track road and the refuge people opened the locked gate and let us drive to them, has this changed?
                          Hope someone knows the answer to that. Sounds like it helps. Where is this two track road with the locked gate anyway?

Comment

I use my bike to get away from the crowds. I usually take a small ice chest big enough for a couple of waters, snacks, sandwich etc. This lets me stay out all day and HUNT!

As for the park staff helping, it really depends on how busy they are and what mood they are in. A few years back they loaded up a doe I had shot way in the back of 8. I've heard others say they wouldn't help with a bull nilgai they had shot.

Comment

I plan on getting a good pack b4 my hunt and putting everything I need on my back and riding in as long as it isn't wet. Ill worry about a wagon once I arrow a nilgai. I'll be hunting in jan. if he has to lay there a few hours it will be ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X