No announcement yet.

TPWD drawing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took me 7 years to get drawn for GDE.

Comment

I applied for around 12 and got selected on two. One at Richland Creek and a 2nd draw at Pedernales annex. Couldn't make the Richland Creek, but made the falls. This was the first time in 8 or so years of applying that I was picked. Now I have to build those point up again.

Comment

I'm going to apply for several this year but it seems like the success rate is higher on youth hunts. Maybe our family will get lucky.

Comment

0 for 30. 10pp in ADE.

Comment

Going to hate me again this year.

Won 4 hunts this year with the typically yearly averaging two hunts a year not counting stand-bys or youth hunts.

Hunts for this year were:
            Richland Creek Archery
            Gus Engleng Management
            Shreiner Kirville
            Garner Exotic

Only put in for one site per category in the past. With the new system I put in for a couple more but not many. Just watch the odds and statistics and you should win every year. I did not enter the postcard hunts or as many categories as I used to due to being on a deer lease now. I was pretty successful over at Nannie Stringfellow and the duck hunts at Richland Creek in the post card category. It runs me about $50-$70 a year in cost depending on if I put a friend or not on the app.

Comment

So if I have 6 preference points in a category and my partner has 0 will and attach him to mine will it increase his chances to draw or decrease mine?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                So if I have 6 preference points in a category and my partner has 0 will and attach him to mine will it increase his chances to draw or decrease mine?
                Yes, but if I'm not mistaken it will put you both at 3pts in that category.

Comment

I'm 0-fer over the last 3 years.

Comment

It took me 6yrs of putting in for 7 hunts each year to finally get drawn for 1 hunt. Then I ended up having to leave in the middle of the hunt, due to a family emergency.

Comment

I've been putting in for hunts for 10 years and haven't been drawn yet. I have 10 preference points for gun deer ES and exotic. 9 PP for gun mule deer. It's getting kinda old !!! I did get to hunt exotics at Caprock canyons on a standby hunt. My kids put in 5 years each for the youth hunts up here in the Panhandle and a few hunts down south. they were never drawn either. I'm not sure I really believe in the PP point thing. There were 2 youth hunts up here that had a 80% draw and with 5 PP my son wasn't drawn. My buddy that volunteered on the hunt said almost all the kids drawn had 1 or no PP. I'm not talking about a lot of entrants. 10 entrants for 8 spots. Poor kids have luck like their old man.

Comment

We entered for 18 hunts, got drawn for 1 which happened to be GDE at Chaparral.
                        Preference points in the Texas draw really don't mean much.
                        There is no guarantee that a certain number of points will equal a hunt.
                        We were drawn for Chaparral GDE with 3pts the first time. This time we had 7pts.
                        We have 14pts for GD anterless/spike and Private Lands either sex, never been drawn.
                        We have 12pts for Private Lands antlerless/spike, never been drawn.
                        We were drawn for GDA at Chaparral with 2pts and haven't been drawn in 6 years since then.
                        Preference points are a crap-shoot with the Texas draw system.
                        People are drawn their first time while others aren't drawn in 20+ years.

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                        Yes to both questions.
                        It averages the points between the applicants.
                        Your 6pts + partner's 0pts = 6 divided by 2 hunters = 3pts for the group application.

Comment

7 entered, 0 drawn.

Daughter got drawn for SHNF antlerless permit, which she was never able to use.

Comment

I've never been drawn for GDE in 10 years of applying.
                            It took me and my mom (she is 79 now) 8 years to draw our first doe hunt. I botched the application in 2014, but we drew standby, then drew with one point this year.

Son has applied 3 years in every possible category ( and multiples this year) to be selected once for a Management hunt at the daughtry (2nd draw). He also did a standby doe hunt at the chap. Long way for a doe, but awesome place to hunt. I wish they would limit the youth to one selection. I know some got drawn for several hunts, while most didn't get drawn. Since they are free- you can put in for everything. Folks with multi draws that don't go on them (or don't decline) prevent other kids from going because there isn't standby (or don't open the space for second draw)

I like the new draw system because it's easy to apply and you can pay online

The hunts I've been on have been well managed and enjoyable. It's also a hoot to hunt with an elderly woman that shoots deer with an old 257 Roberts.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                              I've never been drawn for GDE in 10 years of applying.
                              It took me and my mom (she is 79 now) 8 years to draw our first doe hunt. I botched the application in 2014, but we drew standby, then drew with one point this year.

Son has applied 3 years in every possible category ( and multiples this year) to be selected once for a Management hunt at the daughtry (2nd draw). He also did a standby doe hunt at the chap. Long way for a doe, but awesome place to hunt. I wish they would limit the youth to one selection. I know some got drawn for several hunts, while most didn't get drawn. Since they are free- you can put in for everything. Folks with multi draws that don't go on them (or don't decline) prevent other kids from going because there isn't standby (or don't open the space for second draw)

I like the new draw system because it's easy to apply and you can pay online

The hunts I've been on have been well managed and enjoyable. It's also a hoot to hunt with an elderly woman that shoots deer with an old 257 Roberts.
                              Gotta love Mom. Nice to see someone hunting with their mom.

Comment

Working...
                              X