Finally got my lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got my lathe

I'm pretty excited guys, I finally managed to get a lathe. Found it for sale on Facebook and drove to Brownwood to pick it up yesterday. It's a 2000 model Enco 12x36 model 2079, which is essentially the same machine as the Grizzly g4003. It looks brand new, runs super quiet and everything works. He also included a 7 reamers and a ton of tooling for it. Pics later today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nice! Congrats. You are gonna love it.

Comment

What are you going to build? Rifles?

I had an old Craftsman/Atlas lathe for a while, but sold it before I ever used it.

Comment

I forgot about this thread! Yesterday was a long one.

Yes, I plan to build some bolt guns in time. Baby steps though. While I feel like I'll be fine and I've read enough and watched enough videos, I'm going to be starting with small and simple projects until I'm comfortable with my skills. If I mess up on a piece of bar stock, I'll just cut it off and try again. Do that on a $350-$800 barrel, or an action and I'd be hosed.

Still, I think the machine will pay for itself just in me not sending my guns out to have muzzles threaded and being able to rebarrel on my own. One rebarrel alone runs $300+.

Comment

Here's the only picture I have so far, I'll get a better one tomorrow once it's off the tailer and set up.

Comment

Congrats. I have been teaching myself machine work with the help of my father in law. He is a machinist. I hope to one day start doing my own gun work. I was actually looking at the G4003 for the house.

Comment

Looks like a good one to have out in the garage. Not too big, not too little. Just right. If I was closer I could come help you if a problem comes up. Been runnin lathes for 41 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                Looks like a good one to have out in the garage. Not too big, not too little. Just right. If I was closer I could come help you if a problem comes up. Been runnin lathes for 41 years.
                If you ever feel like turning something and doing some teaching, I've got one in my shop in Addison that needs the dust blown off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                  If you ever feel like turning something and doing some teaching, I've got one in my shop in Addison that needs the dust blown off of it.
                  How about after deer season we get together and go blow the cob webs off of it and see what ya got?

Comment

Congrats. Welcome to a new addiction.

Comment

you have touched the tip of the iceburg! be prepared to spend twice as much on tooling as you did on the machine. i have more invested in reamers than what my lathe costs new!!!

Comment

I picked up the grizzly version of that lathe's little cousin, the g602 for my kid to work on instead of monopolizing my time on the Pacemaker and Haas and holy crap...that little lathe kicks ***. Actually able to hold tenths on certain dimensions when I'm being careful. Threads and cuts like a dream so I'd imagine yours will be even better with the size increase.

Enjoy it!

Comment

Oooh yeah, I've been looking at tooling costs, but at least I can do that a little at a time. Lucky for me, the machine came with lots of insert tooling and extra inserts, so I can at least get started on some small learner projects. I'm thinking of making shot glasses to start out. It also cane with a handful of reamers for chambers like 6mmPPC, 6BR, 6X250 Savage, 223AI etc, but those will be tossed in the tool box and not come out of their protective sleeves for quite a while.

The real expense is in fixtures like the cats head to hold an action square and true, the arbor to verify that is running true on the bore centerline, range rods with enough bushings to fit all the barrels so I can get them running true, floating reamer holders and so on. But again, asst least I can buy that stuff a little at a time.

Comment

Nice, congrats

Comment

Very cool. Gotta love a long term project/hobby. Looking forward to seeing what you produce Luke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X