Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Ranchers..Listen, Shut Up and Learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Ranchers..Listen, Shut Up and Learn!

We have had our share of Bee problems at our lease near Robert Lee. Me and my TBH son have put up several posts over the last year seeking help to remove hives and rid ourselves of the "Stingers."

The ONLY response that proved to solve our problem came from a Face Book post we made on the Robert Lee bulletin board. This has been a very serious problem as I am allergic and have to carry a "Epi-Pen" with me everywhere I go.

Long story short....Lifetime rancher in our area is also a bee keeper. Good ole' Lonnie took out TWO hives and "educated" us on when they swarm (Spring Time) and are looking for a new place to set up another hive. We learned about "scavenger bees...when the queen has been removed and other hives are robbing the old hive, what to look for and does the keeper capture or have to kill?" Do "African Bees exist, yep...according to Lonnie"

This man has a BIG ranch in the area, raises cattle, land has been in his family since the late 1800's and is a WEALTH of knowledge and information. He's in his late 70's, but a SALT of the Earth....good ole' Lonnie!

He came by our site this morning, about 7+/-am....we talked, learned and he gave us some "home made jars" of honey from our bees he took care of. He also gave us perspective of rutting times, more information that we could ever find on the net. AND YES...he leases "some" of his many acres to hunters.

Moral of this story....take some time to listen to the "old guys" who have BEEN there...DONE that before some of you were even born! The stories may get too long....like this post....but after all, for Lonnie anyway....he's got thousands of acres that he still runs in his 70's....worth listening and learning from!

Blessed....enjoy nature and go get that Wall Hanger....

I enjoy a long post...if it’s informative. Yours wasn’t a long post, but I enjoyed the read.

Comment

I may or may not be old. I may or may not have stories. And I may or may not tell the truth... lol

Comment

Wisdom!

Comment

Yep, good people are all over, we just have to listen.

Comment

Too bad you will have to rename the town though...

Comment

I'm a middle aged bee keeper and I learn A LOT from my older mentor.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                Too bad you will have to rename the town though...
                Lol!

Comment

I'm 63 and been a rancher all my life. Don't ask me about bees. Anything about cattle I will give my best guess answer! I learn new stuff all the time. Dart gun giving antiobotics in the pasture has been my best go to the past 3 months. No penning, chasing, roping etc. Get within 20 yards and dart him.
                  Last edited by doghouse; 10-22-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                    I'm 63 and been a rancher all my life. Don't ask me about bees. Anything about cattle I will give my best guess answer! I learn new stuff all the time. Dart gun giving antiobotics in the pasture has been my best go to the past 3 months. No penning, chasing, roping etc. Get within 20 yards and dart him.
                    That sounds like fun Mark!

Comment

I learn a lot from my dad every day but also learned a lot from my uncle and his buddies that were ranchers. Miss spending days out working with them for sure.

Glad they got the bees taken care of. Did he get them out of the camper floor too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I could sit around and drink coffee with the "Older" ranchers, all day. You are right about them being full of knowledge and stories.

Comment

Now that I'm retired, I have found that I take more time to talk & listen to everyone everywhere I go.
                          Before I was always in a hurry and didn't realize what I was missing.
                          Be happy your alive and enjoy every minute, but don't rush through life and miss out on a wonderful experience from someone you meet!

Comment

Love talking to old timers

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                              I learn a lot from my dad every day but also learned a lot from my uncle and his buddies that were ranchers. Miss spending days out working with them for sure.

Glad they got the bees taken care of. Did he get them out of the camper floor too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Yes he did. I made a mistake, called the bees left over "scavangers," Lonnie calls them "robber" bees from other hives. He says they will all eventually quit coming to what's left of the "wax" from the old hives.

Funny about the area, if you're not in ranching there's just not much else left to make a living out of.

Comment

Working...
                              X