Spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring food plots

Anybody have any experience with spring/summer high protein food plots in south Texas ? what is the best stuff to plant ?

I would go with Clay and Iron cow peas. They will grow in poor soil and are drought tolerant.

Comment

I ended up planting Red ripper cow peas and Rio Verde lab lab, everything is coming up real nice. Both the seeds I planted are suppose to be more dry weather tolerant but with all the rain we have had in live oak county I am not sure it matters right now....

Comment

Iron Clay peas coming in Strong this year. Of course all the rain makes a huge difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ICPs2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	24378342

Name:	ICPs.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	24378343

Name:	ICPs3.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	24378344

Comment

Your peas are looking great. I planted milo, black eyes, and soybeans last weekend. Lablab and Guar the weekend before that. I'm going tomorrow to refill feeders and check on the germination. I hope mine looks as good as yours.

Comment

That is awesome Rodney! Will make a difference. I've had problems getting seed across so haven't planted a thing. Keep the updates coming.

Comment

Whew hew! Got mine planted today!!!

Comment

Nice work Rodney!!

I didn't have time to get my milo in this spring, so I'll plant millet later this summer. I gave up planting summer crops years ago for deer, so I only plant irrigated dove crops. The rare years in STX when you can grow a worthwhile crop without irrigation, deer have a salad bar in the brush.

Comment

After seeing that plot, I ain't showing a photo of my pitiful broadcast job.
                  But I planted lab lab, soy beans, milo, chicory, ebony bean and sunn hemp.
                  Can't wait to see after this rain.

BP

Comment

At what rate are yall planting your cow peas?

Comment

Still ****** it's been to wet for us to plant anything, oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                        At what rate are yall planting your cow peas?
                        I drill mine at about 40lbs/acre for a stand-alone crop. If I am broadcasting, I would up that to 60 or more lbs/acre.

Comment

Checked my plots this weekend
                          Broadcasted soy beans, lab lab and sunn hemp.
                          Over 3 acres. Left some wheat and oats standing in one field
                          That i

Comment

[QUOTE=Big pig;10067078]Checked my plots this weekend
                            Broadcasted all my seeds
                            Over 3 acres. Left some wheat and oats standing in one field
                            That i had hog proofed. The other field is mostly sunn hemp as an experiment
                            Used innoculant this year and plot is my best ever.
                            Anxious to see what the camera shows in a couple months

First post was not complete
                            Last edited by Big pig; 05-19-2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X