Dirt Bike experts....question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirt Bike experts....question

If you could buy, brand new, a 2003 Kawasaki KX 125 or a brand new 1999 Yamaha YZ 125 which would you choose?

What's the over all better bike in your opinion?

Of those years, I would chose the KX, but I bet the YZ gets a lot of votes. The 2005+ YZ's are great bikes, they got an aluminum frame, better seat, and were a very fast 125. The pre-2005 YZ's I rode I didn't love. But in full disclosure I rode KX's a lot of years so I may be biased.

Comment

I dont know much about technical riding, i just hop on and cruise around, no racing or jumping. Have a 2003 kx125 and 2001 yz125. Basically the same bikes to me. Ive torn both apart and there really isn't much difference. The yamaha was modded to a 144 and that made a noticeable difference in power.

Comment

I would go with the kx. Ive raced dirt bikes and quads and on both of them the yamahas didnt handle that well. Im a honda guy but was always impressed with how easy it was to ride kawi bikes. Had both kawi and honda for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is your intended use? Motocross track or trail riding?

Comment

Originally posted by waverider View Post
            What is your intended use? Motocross track or trail riding?
            It's for my son, so a little of both, but nothing serious.

Comment

What shop is close, Kawasaki or Yamaha? That's gonna be the tie breaker. Both are good. I ride a 93 kx 250 and it is a great handling bike.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

YZ 125, I had a 1978 YZ 125 and back in it's day it was a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
                  It's for my son, so a little of both, but nothing serious.
                  Not knowing the condition of each bike, I would tend to lean towards the KX...it is a little newer. I rode and raced a KX 250 for years, so thats where my bias comes from.

Both are time tested brands and if it is his first bike, you probably can't go wrong with either option.

Comment

I'd go with the YZ. They have a broader power band, better low end (if there is any to be had on a 125) and lot easier to find ebay parts. KX's had better top end but their powerband was more light-switch. Either on or off with a good hit. Obviously that can be tuned out and down but trying to compare stock for stock. The only thing I didn't like about that era YZ was the rear shock. Had a couple 98 and 99's and seems every other one needed the rear shock rebuilt. The YZ tends to handle a little more neutral whereas the KX likes to be rear wheel steered. Either is a blast to ride but starting out, I think the YZ would be a little more forgiving and the power would be easier to ride. I think more advanced riders would gravitate towards the KX.

Comment

No help on the yz, I’m riding a 05 KX125 right now. I tried forever to find a cr125 but wasn’t willing to pay the asking price of the ones I found. I personally would go honda, Kawasaki, yamaha, and then Suzuki. You won’t pick the wrong one, they are all fun and easily rebuildable compared to a 4 stroke. Good luck

Comment

Thought about this for a while. Raced for years.

I think it is a draw. You can calm down or hype up both bikes................

Comment

About a tie for me.
                          Don't have a preference.
                          If I bought one today, it would be a Yamaha or a Honda, just because the dealer is closer.

Comment

Working...
                          X