Have you ever ate something that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    My MIL used to make pickled cucumbers and onions. She would slice them up in a bowl, pour vinegar over them and some black pepper. Let them sit in the fridge over night. Man those things were good.
    I just made 3 jars this weekend since I still have cucumbers coming out of my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
      I just made 3 jars this weekend since I still have cucumbers coming out of my garden.
      These weren't pickles. They were for the next days dinner. They were pickled but not pickles.

Comment

My Dad's parents were Danish and my grandmother used to make Frikadeller which is a Danish meatball made from hamburger or pork, flattened out and cooked in an iron skillet. Just delicious!

Google it for the recipe and try it.

She'd combine that with some fresh snapped black eyed peas, mashed potatoes or rice and gravy and whatever and it was just my favorite meal.

My wife makes it but it's not the same as my grandmother made.

No meal will ever be as good as the ones she cooked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
          These weren't pickles. They were for the next days dinner. They were pickled but not pickles.
          Absolutely. I just put mine in jars because they are easier to store in my fridge and take to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
            Absolutely. I just put mine in jars because they are easier to store in my fridge and take to work.
            Sounds good!

Comment

My moms Green Enchilada Casserole or her Homemade Spaghetti

My Dads Thick cut Bologna sandwiches with Lettuce ,Onions ,Tomatoes and for desert Watermelon and salt..(All from our garden) was our Saturday Supper all summer long..

Comment

The thing that brings back memories for me more than anything else is the smell of OFF! Takes me right back to Duck Creek, sitting in the old canvas covered wood canoe of Uncle Phil's.

Walking into a mechanic's shop is a close second as one sniff and I'm back sitting on my daddy's lap--he was a Pontiac Master Craftsman and I can still see his grease-imbedded fingers and hands.

Comment

My mamaw used to make a vegetable dish in the summer that was to kill for. It was basically potatoes, okra, squash, and onions fresh from the garden. Cut up and fried all together. The smell is the bomb. It went with most everything in the summer. But my favorite was with chicken fried steak and some sliced maters with a little salt
                  Last edited by LWC; 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

wow, where to begin?

I guess fresh garden tomatoes, fried okra, deer steak and gravy, homemade biscuits.

...chicken and dumplings, my Grandma could make them like no one else!

Comment

Grandma's (dads mom) yeast rolls fresh out if the oven with a little butter and local fresh honey. You could smell them around the corner from her house. My uncle on my mom's side officiated her funeral. And during the eulogy, he mentioned her yeast rolls and everyone in the church just smiled a groaned. You know, that groan of Ooooohhhhhh yyeeaaahhhh.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Beanies & Weenies with B&M baked beans out of a glass jar. My Dad & I used to eat ourselves sick on these

And spam & eggs with rice for breakfast...I grew up in Hawaii and it always takes me back to the island. Don't knock it till you try it

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                          Grandma's (dads mom) yeast rolls fresh out if the oven with a little butter and local fresh honey. You could smell them around the corner from her house. My uncle on my mom's side officiated her funeral. And during the eulogy, he mentioned her yeast rolls and everyone in the church just smiled a groaned. You know, that groan of Ooooohhhhhh yyeeaaahhhh.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                          My Grandma (mom's mom, passed in 1995) made cat head biscuits like nobody else I've seen to this day. When Grandma's oldest daughter passed away (which happened to be 8 years ago today) her grandson officiated her funeral and mentioned grandma's cat head biscuits and got the same response much like you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                            Beanies & Weenies with B&M baked beans out of a glass jar. My Dad & I used to eat ourselves sick on these

And spam & eggs with rice for breakfast...I grew up in Hawaii and it always takes me back to the island. Don't knock it till you try it
                            Beanie Weenies were a staple during our hunting days down on the Neches river. There'd be cans rolling around in the bottom of dad's jon boat, label worn off and a little mud on them....we'd rinse them off in the river, crack open the lid and chow down

Spam and eggs make their way onto our table a few times throughout the year but never have had it with rice.

Comment

My Mom's fried Spam samiches and peanut butter and banana samiches. Limon icebox pie with graham cracker crust, and coconut cake made from scratch. My Dad would have to break the coconuts open for her. AS Artos said above, her hushpuppies were the best.

Comment

Good grief...………
                                I just gained 10 pounds...…
                                Thanks ya'll………..

Comment

Working...
                                X