Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-13-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
Hoggwild
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee Co
Default How to secure a lease?

How'd you find your lease? Word of mouth? Classifieds? Family owned land?

My kids are only getting older and while public lands have been our only option last few years. Both kids (14,10) are pushing to harvest deer. We've been gracious to have hog hunts available to us in the past but have hit dead end roads looking for a lease the kids can actually enjoy. From building stands to filling feeders and just get out and enjoy the time outdoors.

Late in the game for this year I know, but there's always next year right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Classifieds and a lot of phone calls. Have money in hand ready to go look at the property that day if needed. Leases are getting harder and harder to find. Unfortunately there is also a great deal of sub leasing going on too, so there's that you have to deal with.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Don't hold out looking for something perfect. Even if the place will be a headache, it's a place to hunt while you keep looking. And it could turn into a great opportunity.

We got our current lease off CL and went and met the guy that day and handed him money. It transformed from a place to hunt into a GREAT place.
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
harge57
Spike

I haven't

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
harge57 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #5
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Classifieds and a lot of phone calls. Have money in hand ready to go look at the property that day if needed. Leases are getting harder and harder to find. Unfortunately there is also a great deal of sub leasing going on too, so there's that you have to deal with.
I haven't read all the posts but I will say this. I joined every "lease search" sight and most of them aren't worth the time to log in. I was able to reach out to someone that posted on here in the classifieds and while the place I responded to didn't work out that member contacted me and now my dad and I have a lease with him since last season. I know it isn't long but it worked by reaching out to someone and letting them know what I was looking for and price that we could afford, he had the landowner connections and called us because it fit the bill
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 03:10 AM   #6
TexasAg2002
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt, Tx

Word of mouth. It's not what you know but who you know. Not fun looking for sure.
TexasAg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 AM   #7
EastTx
Ten Point

Our county appraisal district has a website with an aerial map that has the property owners name's listed for each tract. If I am driving around and see a property I am interested in I go to the website and find out the owners name and address. I then write a letter expressing my interest in leasing the hunting rights, give them a few references with contact info, and tell them a little bit about myself. I thank them for their time and ask them to contact me if they are interested. I have found it works much better than just knocking on doors out of the blue.
EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 04:27 AM   #8
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Word of mouth, various classifieds sites, and searching lease sites on the internet.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 06:09 AM   #9
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I haven't read all the posts but I will say this. I joined every "lease search" sight and most of them aren't worth the time to log in. I was able to reach out to someone that posted on here in the classifieds and while the place I responded to didn't work out that member contacted me and now my dad and I have a lease with him since last season. I know it isn't long but it worked by reaching out to someone and letting them know what I was looking for and price that we could afford, he had the landowner connections and called us because it fit the bill
Couldn't agree more with that sentiment. The lease sites I used in the past were barely above useless. Craigslist and especially word-of-mouth are the way to go. Word-of-mouth about an existing lease helps avoid bad leases and landowner issues that might not be uncovered if your group is leasing the property for the first time.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
HunterH
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: jack county

Finally got on a good one, due to a guy coming up short on $$$, on a buddy of mines lease. It's a long hard road. Looked at about every bad lease there was. FYI, if it's been advertised on the innerwebs, and its still available after a day. There is a reason.
HunterH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Check your PM box.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #12
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

While your driving down county roads look for land that does nit have much activity going on. Find the nearest house and walk up to the door and ask.
Not the easiest way to find a lease but my dad did this a lot back in the day.
Even if all you find is a small place....its better than no place
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Zjesse22
Four Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

I found mine thru CL amd so glad i did but usually word of mouth or bu driving down county roads and talking to people you might see at gates and asking them, i know sounds weird but it works
Zjesse22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Neighbors, guys you work with, friends at church...college buddies. Ask them all and be ready with money in hand.
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
kch73
Eight Point

Hunt In: Navarro County
Default Has this ever worked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTx View Post
Our county appraisal district has a website with an aerial map that has the property owners name's listed for each tract. If I am driving around and see a property I am interested in I go to the website and find out the owners name and address. I then write a letter expressing my interest in leasing the hunting rights, give them a few references with contact info, and tell them a little bit about myself. I thank them for their time and ask them to contact me if they are interested. I have found it works much better than just knocking on doors out of the blue.
Have you actually leased property thru the CAD process you have described above?
kch73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
MilMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde

I found my lease right here on TBH. I knew it was going to take awhile and I was patient in my search. I read a lot and followed a lot of good guidance from reading the good and bad about others experiences with their leases and am glad I did. I lucked out and got in with a great group on a great lease.

My best advice to you at this point is be patient, and know that 9 time out of 10 a lease isn't just going to fall into your lap. Networking here will pay off highly IMO. You're on here and TBH'ers take care of their own in helping out. Best of luck brother.
MilMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
youngbuck1
Six Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Chamber of commerce
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #18
esp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher Co.

I have an opening on mine in Schleicher- Irion county. Family friendly.

esp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

I found my lease by talking to land owner. He not only leased me a great property at a great price, he lets me hunt his other three properties for free but to hunt those other properties for free I have to keep the feeders(10) running and they are my feeders. That isn't a problem for me because I would have done it anyway. Before I had these places to hunt, I had free access to 4 other properties but they were not near as good as my current places so I no longer hunt them. I found those places also by talking to the land owners. Talking to land owners takes a certain knack and if you think you can just walk up to a land owner or call one and ask to lease or hunt the place right off you will get a heck of a lot of NO'S. I also find it much easier to get permission to hunt hogs first and then as I build a relationship with the owner I will move on to asking permission to hunt deer. Most of the time if I get permission to hunt hogs, I will end up with permission to hunt deer. In fact, the lease I hunt now I got by talking to the land owner about hogs first. He had 8 bow hunters that leased it from Sept. 1st to December 1st but he told me I could hunt hogs any other time for free. After the first year hunting it I was talking to the land owner about it and he said if I wanted to lease the entire place for the entire year at same price as what the 8 bow hunters were paying for 3 months he would do it. I jumped on it quick when he told me the price because it was about the same I was paying for a single spot on a lease the same size that wasn't near as good for deer and had 8 other members. Even though I have very good places to hunt now, I'm always trying to find other better places although better then what I have now is going to be tough to find in this area but you never will know unless you keep looking. I found one of the places I no longer hunt while I was at Academy buying hunting gear. There was a lady looking at game camera's and I could tell she was having a hard time deciding. I asked here if she would like some help and from there I ended up getting permission to hog hunt her families place. I tell you this just to let you know, you never know who might have a place for you to hunt, you just have to keep a open mind and talk to as many people you can and if your personable you will more then likely stumble onto a place. Of course it helps that I don't live in a big city, it's going to be much tougher to do what I'm saying in a big city.

Anyway, I hope this helps you in some way to find a place.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #20
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
I found my lease by talking to land owner.
Pretty much the best way. Also, looking at maps and seeing who owns what. Found 35 acres that a guy owned that I worked for in high school. Knocked on his door and acquired about it. Turned out, that 35 acres was his wife's. She also had 2 sisters, which all of them had inherited land. Turned out to be over 400 acres, which I still hunt today. That was almost 30 years ago.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #21
Hoggwild
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Check your PM box.

Received, thank you.

Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
EastTx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch73 View Post
Have you actually leased property thru the CAD process you have described above?
Yes, several. I have also helped a couple of friends get places this way too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch73 View Post

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #23
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

I picked the owners son as a roommate in college!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #24
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Chamber of Commerce listings on counties website
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #25
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

I walked up to my neighbor and asked. He has 1500 acres