Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas
Default I give up (pigs)

They are almost as thick at my other feeder too. One solitary deer on camera in 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
Bazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Same at my new hand corn setup.

Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Maybe somebody else, might take a shot at it...
(see what I did there?)
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #4
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cooke

have weapons, will travel
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #5
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

You better start killing them, or u won't see any deer
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
SwampRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Batson, Gulf Coast, Wyoming....

This whole poison thing may be our only hope...same at my lease
SwampRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
Stykbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Newton, Tx

Put up feeder pens where you want to see deer and shoot pigs at the others.

Stykbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Round pen. Sorry only thing I got.
FYI shooting them to get rid of them doesn't work.
We have blasted them all year in leon co. and they keep coming.
I built new two pens this year.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #9
Roy Munson
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stykbow View Post
Put up feeder pens where you want to see deer and shoot pigs at the others.

This^.
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #10
Grady_jones
Six Point

Hunt In: sutton county

man I wish I had some pigs on my lease
Grady_jones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #11
El Forajido
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any Tree stand in Texas ✭

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
You better start killing them, or u won't see any deer
Yeppers
El Forajido is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #12
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SoTex and Snodgrass

Invite friends to shoot and pen your setup. Problem solved
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #13
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Turn off feeder...they will leave

True story
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #14
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pen this feeder. I have a pipe feeder near it that gets cleaned out quick every time I fill it so I know there are deer in there. Got to take these two out next weekend though.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #15
raceruss2003
Four Point

There are more than enough people out here who would help you take care of these problem pigs. People who have families and would like to fill a freezer or two...
raceruss2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #16
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Turn off feeder...they will leave

True story
^this... people rely so heavily on corn feeders for deer hunting.

Plus deer probably aren't hitting corn heavily right now anyway.

Having said that, Hog Panels worked really well for us in the past. Deer don't mind jumping them because they're low.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #17
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceruss2003 View Post
There are more than enough people out here who would help you take care of these problem pigs. People who have families and would like to fill a freezer or two...
Problem is they never kill any. Remove reason for them to be there (food/feeder) and them will move on

Contrary to belief, deer can be killed without a feeder ......... or just pen them out and hope deer adjust

Hunting pigs to manage them is rediculous Just look at "skinny" he's killed 53+ hogs and still has dozens on camera in the day time even
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #18
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Find a deer trail.
Sit.
Wait.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #19
raceruss2003
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Problem is they never kill any. Remove reason for them to be there (food/feeder) and them will move on

Hunting pigs to manage them is rediculous Just look at "skinny" he's killed 53+ hogs and still has dozens on camera in the day time even
Removing the food source for a little while may help, but won't they just show up later when you put it back.

Why aren't the people who have tried to help killing them?

Maybe pigs are a different, but herd, flock, fishery, etc... management seems to work for many other species. Problem is there may not be enough people trying to maintain the population at once like deer season, etc...
raceruss2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #20
justletmein
Ten Point

Build a hog panel circle with a trap door around that pen. Deer can jump in and out, hogs keep coming in but can't leave. You show up and dispatch 20 at a time. That's gonna help a good bit.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #21
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceruss2003 View Post
Removing the food source for a little while may help, but won't they just show up later when you put it back.

Why aren't the people who have tried to help killing them?

Maybe pigs are a different, but herd, flock, fishery, etc... management seems to work for many other species. Problem is there may not be enough people trying to maintain the population at once like deer season, etc...
Quote:
Harvesting 66% of the total population per year is required to keep the Texas feral pig populations stable
It's rather hard to kill 66% of the hogs by any current legal means. And that's just to keep the population where it currently is.
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #22
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

Pigs will be pigs. As soon as you start feeding again, they will be back that night. They are smart.

I would put up feed pens around my set ups.
If you really want to control numbers, find a professional hog trapper.
We are HF and shoot every hog we see. Our hog numbers have done nothing but gone up.

walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #23
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Will happily help this the herd.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:31 AM   #24
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

1. 10 pounds of tannerite
2. Wrap ball bearings around container of tannerite
3. Get back 100 yards
4. Wait for pigs to show up
5. BOOM!

This method may also result in the need for a new feeder, but it would be awesome
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #25
NewBallCoach
Four Point

Hunt In: Elkhart and anywhere someone will have me

Pigs are very smart, I have them around every year under the feeder and just dealt with them. They tore up everything that was built to keep them out, yes that includes hog panel. I finally took my feeder down after this past season, I was feeding way too many hogs and only had one doe coming in regularly by the end. But it's not all bad I never hunted over the feeder, and have never killed a deer over the feeder I just liked having it up for the pics.

Tried doing hand corn and they find that after a couple days and clean up what the deer leave and keep coming back for days to check for more. I still catch some on camera away from where I hand corn passing thru but haven't seen a herd since I took the feeder down.

I think I will put one up again eventually and try again, but for this season I won't have one and will continue hand corning when I go pull cards and when I go hunt.
NewBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #26
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

No shortage of "help" around here !!!!! Hahahaha

Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #27
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Two words: Gatling gun
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #28
Voodoo
Six Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

It might be a losing battle.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #29
RanchFairy
Four Point

Deer Season pressure will help. They will go nocturnal.
If your feeders are going off during the day and you're mostly seeing pigs at night. You're good. There are times of year when the deer just do "deer" and eat what is available. It's been a pretty green and decent summer in a lot of the state.

Personally, I'd be shooting them often!! Especially if you're a bow hunter. Great way to test your set up before deer season. Super FUN!!!!
RanchFairy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #30
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Hog panels.... We did this and pigs dont mess with the feeders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #31
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

I just got on a lease last year that was infested with pigs and we were not seeing many deer. We decide that we had to get rid of the pigs, but was not sure the best way. We did some research and decided to buy the Jager pro trap. Last year we caught over 250 pigs. This year we have at least 10 hog panels around every feed station and we are seeing very little pig signs. No feed = no pigs. Last year I never saw a fawn, this year we see them all the time.
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #32
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post

They are almost as thick at my other feeder too. One solitary deer on camera in 2 weeks.

Dang brother if I ever get a full weekend off I'll help you out with that.
Maybe next week end if we don't get rained out this coming week.
I gotta get up there and get feeders and stands up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #33
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Last night I sat in my bow blind. I got out there way too early but it gave me time to do some walking around scouting. I also put my target under the feeder and took some shots from the blind so I'd have no question on what sight pin I needed. The hogs at that feeder had been showing between 5-6pm - I sat from 4 to 6:15 It was like Cool Hand Luke getting stuck in the hole. When your fingers sweat, you know its dang hot. (I did stay hydrated)
There are two young long legged boars that busted me in that blind 2 weeks back and sure enough, those were what showed at 6:15. I was almost at full draw when they bolted. So I got a nice sauna therapy session last night but no kill.

To all the offers for help, I'd gladly take you up on the offer but if you are not on our lease already, no can do. Sorry.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #34
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Don't go walk around your feeder when you get there. Just go get in your blind. We never get near our feeders till after we hunt. If you get some scent around the feeder they either come up & smell it and run or never come in. We had a lease that we always shot pigs every trip, but some other guys would show up & feed or etc. Never saw pigs & complained they didn't have spots that pigs would come too. We told them to stay away from their feeders & they told us pigs aren't that smart. We just said OK & left them alone.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #35
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Don't go walk around your feeder when you get there. Just go get in your blind. We never get near our feeders till after we hunt. If you get some scent around the feeder they either come up & smell it and run or never come in. We had a lease that we always shot pigs every trip, but some other guys would show up & feed or etc. Never saw pigs & complained they didn't have spots that pigs would come too. We told them to stay away from their feeders & they told us pigs aren't that smart. We just said OK & left them alone.
Yep, if you want to kill pigs with any consistency with a bow, you need to understand they are one of the smartest animals in the woods and have a incredible nose that puts a whitetails nose to shame. Because pigs don't see near as good as whitetails they use their nose as their #1 defense. While sometimes you can get away with walking through your feed area right before hunting, you will end up getting busted more time then not from it. I've had pigs bust my scent trail I walked in on several hours after I walked through.

Just looking at the picture of your setup, It looks like it's pretty boxed in with tree's and bushes and if it is, that is not good setup for pigs because the wind tends to swirl in area's like that and pigs will bust you most of the time, especially if they take their time coming in. When I setup a feeder to hunt pigs, I'm more concerned about how the wind will blow through the spot then the location because pigs will always find the corn and the more open the area is the less likely they will hit the feeder during daylight and the further you get from their bedding area the later they will come.

If you don't want the pigs at your feeder then put up a pen. Go with at least 10 hog panels and put T-Post at each end of the panels and one in the middle. T-Post go on the inside of the panels. Also make sure there are no big gaps between the ground and the panels they can get their nose under or you may have problems. Their are two reasons to make the pen big, one it keeps most or all the corn inside the pen and the deer are more comfortable in big pens. The more corn that is outside the pen the more pigs you will have come around to get that corn and the more pigs you have around the more likely you are to have them try to get in. If you make the pen big enough that no corn goes outside it then the chances of the pigs ever getting in are slim to none.

I had a 250 acre lease all to myself that the pigs were so smart that if I drove on the lease at all, the pigs would not hit any of my 5 feeders that day. I was the only one driving on the lease so they learned that if they heard a vehicle it meant I was hunting because I rarely ever went to the lease without hunting. If I filled a feeder at any time during the day it was pointless to hunt that feeder the same night because the pigs would not come in. I'm sure some people are going to read this and strongly disagree with some things I'm saying but that is OK with me because I know what works for me.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is the area your hunting. It looks like your hunting East Texas. While I haven't hunted East Texas, that area is well known for deer avoiding feeders, especially mature deer. The area I hunt, mature will hit the feeders but they seldom do during the season. This is why I hunt trails and use hand corn but that is also a problem because we have so many pigs that the pigs end up taking the area over and basically run the deer off. Because of this I don't hand corn the area heavily and I don't do it on a real consistent basis. One thing I'm going to try this year is to put of a big pen back in the woods and only hand corn it. Don't know how well it's going to work but I have a feeling it will work great. The only real problem I see is if the pigs can't get to the hand corn the deer may come mainly at night but that shouldn't really be a problem at my place because our deer move a lot during the day. I'm sure I will have some at night but I believe the majority will hit the corn during the day.

One thing is for sure, if what your doing isn't working, you need to try something else because if you keep doing the same thing your more then likely going to have the same results. I'm always trying different things even after 30+ years of hunting.

Good luck hunting.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #36
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Put a corral trap around the feeders. Catch and and kill the pigs.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #37
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Texican,
All those pens in goliad we built have never been breached.
But the pig hunting ain't as good.
Deer hunting has improved. TB has killed a couple real nice ones.
Good luck.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #38
lbbf
Ten Point

Have guns and bow. Willing to travel.
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #39
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Default I give up (pigs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
Yep,

Just looking at the picture of your setup, It looks like it's pretty boxed in with tree's and bushes and if it is, that is not good setup for pigs because the wind tends to swirl in area's like that

Those pics above are not where I'm bow hunting. When I do bow hunt there it will be from 20 feet up a tree. For now I rifle hunt it from 115 yards where I can sit and watch them for as long as I want.

This is where I got busted. I need a bow hanger in there.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #40
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady_jones View Post
man i wish i had some pigs on my lease
no y o u dont
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #41
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Feeder pens and trapping, hope they move on
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #42
WTucker
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardin County

If you live fairly close to your lease, start trapping them. Hunting them wont even keep up with them really. We built a trap similar to the Jager Pro system last year, and have caught a bunch of pigs already.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #43
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Stop feeding corn year round if you don't want pigs. When my (few) feeders run out in winter I don't refill until September, and I have pens around them also. I still have hogs, but we shoot them regularly and there's no hogs laid up at feeders.
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #44
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

When you have a pig problem, screw the bow......get out the guns and start taking them out.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #45
sbushee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

Get out of east Texas.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #46
NewBallCoach
Four Point

Went to check cameras this afternoon, while walking to my last camera (closest to the house) I spotted a baby pig about 25 yards away thru some brush (probably weighed around 60 pounds). I listened and didn't hear anything else so I raised my AR and was about to shoot when I heard a stick snap thru some brush about 15 yards to my right, where I had just came from. I couldn't see what it was but after a couple seconds it started snorting and I took off, after about 30 yards I looked behind me to see a huge pig barely "jogging" behind me still snorting and I turned and never looked back. I guess he was just warning me or I ran like Usain Bolt, but that was the worst feeling I've ever had in the woods.

If you are wondering why I didn't shoot, I didn't think I'd be able to take it down with one shot from the .223 AR and didn't think I'd have enough time to get off enough shots to kill it. I've seen alot of hogs and shot quite a few, always heard how mean they are, but this is the first time I've ever been chased by one.

I've spent all afternoon looking at pig traps lol. I had a pic of him on one of my other cameras and I'll try to upload later.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #47
NewBallCoach
Four Point

Here he is
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #48
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBallCoach View Post
Went to check cameras this afternoon, while walking to my last camera (closest to the house) I spotted a baby pig about 25 yards away thru some brush (probably weighed around 60 pounds). I listened and didn't hear anything else so I raised my AR and was about to shoot when I heard a stick snap thru some brush about 15 yards to my right, where I had just came from. I couldn't see what it was but after a couple seconds it started snorting and I took off, after about 30 yards I looked behind me to see a huge pig barely "jogging" behind me still snorting and I turned and never looked back. I guess he was just warning me or I ran like Usain Bolt, but that was the worst feeling I've ever had in the woods.

If you are wondering why I didn't shoot, I didn't think I'd be able to take it down with one shot from the .223 AR and didn't think I'd have enough time to get off enough shots to kill it. I've seen alot of hogs and shot quite a few, always heard how mean they are, but this is the first time I've ever been chased by one.

I've spent all afternoon looking at pig traps lol. I had a pic of him on one of my other cameras and I'll try to upload later.
Brother, don't run from hogs... You're more likely to trip and hurt yourself than to ever have an encounter with a pig. We've dealt with some monster brave boars and never had an issue, bites are extremely rare. I would have pumped him with a full mag of that .223 around the head and neck area just for having the audacity to growl at me.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #49
takarge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bedias

We were getting 40 plus hogs at each feeder every time they went off. We setup two traps at the feeders and have killed 13 hogs in two weeks. Now they are starting to shy away. Have some huge deer coming in now!
takarge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #50
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Newball, I had an experience a few weeks ago where I thought a whole sounder was gonna come at me. I couldn't see them through the gunch. One pig popped out and right back in. I didn't shoot having only 3 shells in the shotgun and thinking I might need them for something bigger. It makes you think, especially when in a place where nobody is gonna come by anytime soon.