Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
TxouT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazos and Madison Counties
Default Draw hunts, what are y'all putting in for and did you draw?

I'm doing gator at JD Murphree and Dam B along with WT Doe/exotic in Kerrville.

Will let ya know if I get drawn, good luck boys!
TxouT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Hunt In: Lbj, caddo

I put in for gun deer at devils river sna and pronghorn at rita blanca grasslands.
Brentwalkertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #3
megger89
Four Point

Hunt In: All of Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
I put in for gun deer at devils river sna and pronghorn at rita blanca grasslands.
My dad won a hunt for Pronghorn at Rita Blanca Grasslands last season and was successful.
megger89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #4
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio

Put in for Archery either sex white tail at Chap, and Hemphill County Ranch private lands prong horn. And for scimitar/oryx some place I can't remember. These were the only three hunts I would be home for.
Muddy Bud is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 04:40 AM   #5
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

I only put in for gators and exotics so far. Last year I think I i applied for 25 different hunts, got drawn for one. But it was for Laguna rifle hunt with my dad and we had a awesome time. Hopefully we get drawn for something again this year.
mikeyb_23 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
tward1604
Four Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

Laguna rifle exotic
tward1604 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
BigLig
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger, Halletsville, Cohutta Wilderness Georgia

I put in for everything with the chance of taking exotics within 5-6 hours.
BigLig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Deerguy
Eight Point

Put in for 53 I think last year, drew 3. Think I've got 55 down to put in for this year.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
gemini2759
Six Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

$42 worth here.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Too many to list but usually get drawn for a couple each year.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #11
Cypress Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

We haven't been picked in a few years but we'll be putting in again this year.
Cypress Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Put the wife and I in for a bunch again this year. Gator at a couple places, WT gun either sex a couple places, exotic archery and gun several places, pronghorn, mule deer archery couple places.... Only been drawn for 1 hunt in about 8-9 years of putting in. Got drawn first year for Aoudad at Caprock my first try and been snakebit ever since....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
Freight Mover
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF & Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxouT View Post
I'm doing gator at JD Murphree and Dam B along with WT Doe/exotic in Kerrville.

Will let ya know if I get drawn, good luck boys!
I've done Kerrville twice and it's one of my favorites

I try to put in for mostly Central Texas hunts. The Anterless hunts seem to have the best odds to get drawn

Also, if I don't get drawn there are a couple of hunts that I have been lucky for standbys

Last edited by Freight Mover; 07-14-2017 at 10:48 PM..
Freight Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #14
drycreek
Spike

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Sam Houston NF, Warren

Question for everyone. I'm always confused by the system. I'm wanting to apply for the Young County Dove Hunt and it says "1 to 4 people per application".

What does that mean exactly? Does that mean if I apply I can bring three friends with me?

Basically I want to be able to bring my Dad and 2 brothers so does that mean I add them on my application? Or do they have to add themselves? And I think they got rid of the disqualification for double adding. If I don't add them and I get drawn then I'm going alone?

Why do they have to make this stuff so hard. Why can't they just let you register, pay the fee and then if you win you can bring three friends? Instead they always seems to make it the most convoluted system possible.
drycreek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #15
Freight Mover
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycreek View Post
Question for everyone. I'm always confused by the system. I'm wanting to apply for the Young County Dove Hunt and it says "1 to 4 people per application".

What does that mean exactly? Does that mean if I apply I can bring three friends with me?

Basically I want to be able to bring my Dad and 2 brothers so does that mean I add them on my application? Or do they have to add themselves? And I think they got rid of the disqualification for double adding. If I don't add them and I get drawn then I'm going alone?

Why do they have to make this stuff so hard. Why can't they just let you register, pay the fee and then if you win you can bring three friends? Instead they always seems to make it the most convoluted system possible.

I don't think the system will allow the double entry

When we go as a group we apply together on the same application

If it says 1-4, you can entertain up to 4 people on the app and if dream each would get a permit to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycreek View Post

You can put up to 4 People on the application including yourself. One person has to do it all. You have to pay the application fee for all applicants. And everybody can pay for their own permit fees if drawn. If you just brought people with you if drawn people would get out of paying ap fee and permit fees. And everybody would have everybody they knew applying even if they don't hunt.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #17
Blitz
Nubbin' Buck

I'm new to the permit thing. I have to this point only done the antlerless gun permit for bannister.

I see in some of the others where there is an application fee. It also has a fee per adult which is significantly higher. Is this what you pay if you get the permit? For instance, 1 drawn hunt has a application fee of $3 but the price per adult is $80. Do you risk the $3 and if you are awarded the hunt you pay an additional $80? Just wanting to know how this stuff works.

I am off the week of Christmas so any deer-gun hunts during that time is great for me.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #18
j_chaserman1
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: PHL, COE, Wherever i Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I'm new to the permit thing. I have to this point only done the antlerless gun permit for bannister.

I see in some of the others where there is an application fee. It also has a fee per adult which is significantly higher. Is this what you pay if you get the permit? For instance, 1 drawn hunt has a application fee of $3 but the price per adult is $80. Do you risk the $3 and if you are awarded the hunt you pay an additional $80? Just wanting to know how this stuff works.

I am off the week of Christmas so any deer-gun hunts during that time is great for me.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
You pay $3 to throw your name into the hat for a chance at the drawing, if you are drawn you pay $80 or $130 for the permit which allows you on the property during the date and time you are drawn. So basically the $80 is an access or usage fee. You use your own tags unless its the NFS which issues you an antlerless tag.
Hope this helps
j_chaserman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2017, 11:50 PM   #19
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
Put in for 53 I think last year, drew 3. Think I've got 55 down to put in for this year.
I guess you put in for near everything? Just want to hunt and not focusing on trophy hunts? Ever kill anything on them that's decent?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #20
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_chaserman1 View Post
You use your own tags unless its the NFS which issues you an antlerless tag.
Hope this helps
Did this change??
On past hunts, TPWD issued tags if you killed, not from your license.
sqiggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #21
Freight Mover
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Did this change??

No
Most hunts I have been on they issue you the permit and you do not use your tags.

The only one I have hunted that you have to use your own tags is Balcones

Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #22
droptine8850
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Taylor county

Has the application deadline already passed on most of the hunts?
droptine8850 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #23
Ten Point

Putting in for all the ones I can afford. No lease/not a land owner. Got to apply.
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #24
Freight Mover
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptine8850 View Post
Has the application deadline already passed on most of the hunts?

No
Just started

Old 07-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #25
Ten Point

What's the deal with Guadalupe State Park this year? They aren't offering as many hunts this time around. Or Honey Creek?
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #26
j_chaserman1
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: PHL, COE, Wherever i Can

Quote:
Did this change??
I did Balcones before they were part of TPWD system and had to use own tags then, I was drawn for lower Rio Grande NWR last year and it is own tags use as well, so it seems that the NWR are own tag use, I have yet to be drawn for anything else..
j_chaserman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #27
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_chaserman1 View Post
I did Balcones before they were part of TPWD system and had to use own tags then, I was drawn for lower Rio Grande NWR last year and it is own tags use as well, so it seems that the NWR are own tag use, I have yet to be drawn for anything else..
Ok.
All the WMA's and State Parks I've been on, TPWD issued tags. Looks like it's different for Federal land.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #28
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
What's the deal with Guadalupe State Park this year? They aren't offering as many hunts this time around. Or Honey Creek?
Nothing new.
Seems like every year, the permits get shorter or they remove a place altogether.
I haven't really looked at this year real hard yet but already noticed they took Fort Boggy SP out of the archery hunts. Just don't understand what or why they do things like this!!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #29
Swamphunterfw
Four Point

Hunt In: All over

Quote:
Nothing new.
Seems like every year, the permits get shorter or they remove a place altogether.
I haven't really looked at this year real hard yet but already noticed they took Fort Boggy SP out of the archery hunts. Just don't understand what or why they do things like this!!

I hunted fort boggy archery last year , I belive they took it out because no one has ever harvested a deer during archery hunt ,
I will say the reason why is the 13in rule because I had a very nice mature buck at 15 yards he was super tall just not 13 wide , also saw lots of small bucks it is a tough hunt for 3 days with a bow , I could have killed my limit if I had a rifle just hard to get in right spot with a bow with in 3 days
Swamphunterfw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #30
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunterfw View Post
I hunted fort boggy archery last year , I belive they took it out because no one has ever harvested a deer during archery hunt ,
I will say the reason why is the 13in rule because I had a very nice mature buck at 15 yards he was super tall just not 13 wide , also saw lots of small bucks it is a tough hunt for 3 days with a bow , I could have killed my limit if I had a rifle just hard to get in right spot with a bow with in 3 days
I've hunted it 4 times. Being it's only 45 min. from my house, I always got to hunt it as a stand-by if I was off during the hunt dates. Deer have been killed there with a bow. The place is full of deer. Every time I went, I either had a shot and missed or had a shot and passed. The guy that runs the hunt lives on the park. Love hunting that place.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #31
drycreek
Spike

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Sam Houston NF, Warren

Applied with my Dad, brother and brother-n-law for Rita Blanca Pronghorn, Matador Mule Deer Gun, Colorado Bend SP, Keechi Creek and Big Lake Bottom.

Not holding my breath as this is like the first or second year to enter the draw on these. The plan is to enter as a group of four for several years until we finally get picked and then have a nice memory maker trip for a Muley or Pronghorn. We'll see.

Good luck fellas.
drycreek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #32
Deerguy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I guess you put in for near everything? Just want to hunt and not focusing on trophy hunts? Ever kill anything on them that's decent?
Just put in for the ones that interest me, or critters I don't normally have the opportunity to hunt. I usually put in for several mule deer hunts, rifle and archery. All the pronghorn hunts. Lots of exotic stuff (including a few doe hunts that include exotics). I only put in for the 'good spots' for deer archery and rifle hunts. Also several turkey hunts.

Mixed results on hunts I was drawn for. Killed a very nice 140" 11 point a few years back. And a darned impressive 7 point that scored 127 (25"+ mainbeames, 20 inches wide, good mass). A few hogs, does, and a javie. Gobs of turkey. Half second away from pulling the trigger on a wart hog, but he didn't cooperate.

All in all, doesn't cost much and all but 1 (Garner) was a fun hunt. Chance to spend time with friends and family. Thinking about it, only 1 or 2 times have I been drawn and not had the 'target' animal in view on the hunt.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #33
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana

I'm down fro 51 this year haven't drawn a hunt in 8 years of applying!
LuBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #34
bmc09
Six Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

I focused on the youth hunts and the areas that had permanent stands. Trying to get my kids on them this year.
bmc09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #35
bugbee
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto county & East TX

Palo duro exotics, caprock exotics, pronghorn at south libscomb and hemphill, sierra diablo mulie, and scimitar oryx at mason mtn. The only draw i usually put in for is the bighorn sheep in hopes of drawing one day in the future. Figured wth, lets put in for some more that interest me and see what happens.
bugbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #36
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
Just put in for the ones that interest me, or critters I don't normally have the opportunity to hunt. I usually put in for several mule deer hunts, rifle and archery. All the pronghorn hunts. Lots of exotic stuff (including a few doe hunts that include exotics). I only put in for the 'good spots' for deer archery and rifle hunts. Also several turkey hunts.

Mixed results on hunts I was drawn for. Killed a very nice 140" 11 point a few years back. And a darned impressive 7 point that scored 127 (25"+ mainbeames, 20 inches wide, good mass). A few hogs, does, and a javie. Gobs of turkey. Half second away from pulling the trigger on a wart hog, but he didn't cooperate.

All in all, doesn't cost much and all but 1 (Garner) was a fun hunt. Chance to spend time with friends and family. Thinking about it, only 1 or 2 times have I been drawn and not had the 'target' animal in view on the hunt.
Where'd you shoot the bucks? And where the heck was the wart hog?! What happened at garner?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #37
Jibby
Spike

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs and Drawn hunts

I got drawn for NM deer and will concentrate on that, but also put in for Texas, My most points are in exotic and Muleys, I think the rest of my entries are just donations. Going scouting in August in unit 21a.
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #38
nickstone
Spike

Does anybody know if I want to have friends apply with me as a party, do I need to apply for all of us at the same time, or am I able to log back into my application and add people to my party at a later time?
nickstone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #39
Deerguy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Where'd you shoot the bucks? And where the heck was the wart hog?! What happened at garner?
Bucks were south Texas and Panhandle. Wart hog was down south, Chap to be specific (really the only place as of now that has some). They've done a pretty good job of trying to eradicate them and keeping them from getting established. Garner hunt wasn't necessarily a 'bad' hunt, but it is much more restrictive out there. Details aren't really important, it's their area and their rules. It's just run differently than a compartment hunt, with many more rules, some with validity, some less so. Drawn for the antlerless hunt; didn't see a single whitetail or axis, which wasn't really their fault, but disappointing.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #40
Deerguy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstone View Post
Does anybody know if I want to have friends apply with me as a party, do I need to apply for all of us at the same time, or am I able to log back into my application and add people to my party at a later time?
has to be at the same time
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #41
nickstone
Spike

Thank you
nickstone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #42
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

I've heard that you have very specific "shooting lanes" at Garner. They also have contract guys go in and shoot a lot of the exotics at different times of the year which can really limit the amount/availability and spook the numbers of axis out there.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #43
Deerguy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
I've heard that you have very specific "shooting lanes" at Garner. They also have contract guys go in and shoot a lot of the exotics at different times of the year which can really limit the amount/availability and spook the numbers of axis out there.
Mostly true. They do have shooting lanes, maybe 90-100 degree field of view, for safety reasons. They also thin the herd with contractors. But, it's only because the public hunters (me included) weren't killing enough to reduce the herd. In the long run, more important to reduce the numbers, than keeping so many that hunters are happy (it is an exotic after all). Plus the contractors only come in after the hunts are over for the year. Like I say, it wasn't necessarily a bad hunt, just substantially different that the freedom you normally get on a compartment hunt.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #44
Ungawa
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County

I have put in for 15 hunts this year.
I donate to the cause...........I have put in for hunts the past 13 years and have been draw one time.
Ungawa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #45
Aggiechick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Calhoun County

Will apply for Government Canyon and Matagorda Island. Drew Government Canyon last year and took 2 does. Would love to get drawn for Matagorda

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Aggiechick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #46
Cstat_hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Leon, Robertson, Brazos, and Milam Countys.

I had a question about the drawn hunts. If I apply by myself and get drawn would I be allowed to bring anyone with me but them not hunt? Thanks
Cstat_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #47
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstat_hunter View Post
I had a question about the drawn hunts. If I apply by myself and get drawn would I be allowed to bring anyone with me but them not hunt? Thanks
Some hunts allow you to bring a non-hunter to the scouting but not during the hunt. Check with the local rules and regulations for the specific hunt area you are looking to hunt in. You will find all the information there. Don't take anybody's word for it. Verify it yourself with the hunt area you are putting in for.
RGV Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #48
howabouttheiris
Eight Point

Mentally prepared to go 0/18 again this year....
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #49
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by howabouttheiris View Post
Go to amistad national park. You just pay $20 and you can hunt the entire hunting season. There is no drawing all you do is walk in and pay your $20 and you are set for the entire season

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #50
RGV Hunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by howabouttheiris View Post
It's a hard hunt though be prepared to take 40 50 maybe even 60-yard shots you can use a blind to hunt or you can spot and stalk I prefer the spot and stalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk