2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Man, Shake n Bake, you guys did OK! Considering what y'all went through it's amazing what you have been able to produce from your garden!
      Congratulations to you and your bride sir!

Comment

My bride and I went out yesterday after the sun was low in the sky and cut the okra again (4 5gallon buckets!), and I discovered some of my eggplants had broken over from just too much weight. I thinned the fruits a bit and put stakes in on the plants as they still have a bunch of smaller eggplants on them. And we pulled a little more corn. Wife also cut more zucchini and squash, but I didn't get any pics of those If we don't get any more rain this week, I will start to turn most of the garden under and get it ready for some fall veggies... but I plan to do war with bugs n weeds first!! I know it's a never-ending battle, but I have GOT to get ahead of both a bit better than we did on this first garden in a new spot!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6911.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	24502559

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6912.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	24502560

Comment

That's a nice haul. Do you cut you okra with scissors and wear long sleeves? I get all ouchy and itchy if I don't.

Comment

I need to mow my cucumbers.. they have gotten to bitter already. darn it

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post

That's summertime right there? Red or Yellow? That would be nice to chew on after a good day of swimming in the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                That's awesome! We tried watermelon for the first time this year and we've gotten a few about golf ball size and then they die or disappear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Man, Shake n Bake, you guys did OK! Considering what y'all went through it's amazing what you have been able to produce from your garden!
                  Congratulations to you and your bride sir!
                  Thanks! My wife has worked her tail off trying to get it back in shape! Weve got several more watermelons and 12+ cantaloupes on the vine!

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
                  That's summertime right there? Red or Yellow? That would be nice to chew on after a good day of swimming in the lake.

Red! Our kids will tear into it the second it's ready!

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                    That's a nice haul. Do you cut you okra with scissors and wear long sleeves? I get all ouchy and itchy if I don't.
                    Yes ma'am. I use scissors and gloves along with the long sleeve shirt. My wife uses a knife. The plants are chest high now, so cutting is much easier than when it first started bearing! 2 rows 150 feet long and 2 rows about 40 feet long is a lot of crawling around on hands and knees! My back won't let me stoop over for very long... Other bad thing we had for that this year was those purple hull peas... BACK KILLERS for me!

Comment

I just planted some yard long beans today . Hope they grow . Co worker gave me the seeds . He is also giving me some ghost pepper seeds .

Comment

Dwarf okra coming along nicely. Trying to get a handle on some kinda nocturnal critter that likes the leaves.
                        Got one plant that found something it really likes. It's nearly triple size of the others.
                        Attached Files

Comment

What's everyone planting for their fall garden?

Comment

I'm gonna let my peppers, tomatoes, and okra run till they freeze out. But going to start some garlic come October. And get everything ready for next year over the winter, so I don't have to do to much to it.

Comment

The ghost peppers are going WILD.

We grew them all from seed out of one of our plants from last year, and one of the plants mutated to a chocolate color. Same taste, same shape, same skin.... just matures a different color.

We picked all this in the last 2 days.. almost a gallon and a half. Regular peppers in one bag, chocolates in another.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                The ghost peppers are going WILD.

We grew them all from seed out of one of our plants from last year, and one of the plants mutated to a chocolate color. Same taste, same shape, same skin.... just matures a different color.

We picked all this in the last 2 days.. almost a gallon and a half. Regular peppers in one bag, chocolates in another.

Man what the heck do you do with all those peppers?

Comment

Working...
                                X