• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    I have 24 for pronghorn.
    Big Horn Sheep draw dudes aren’t allowed to talk

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
      Big Horn Sheep draw dudes aren’t allowed to talk
      I guess I'm gonna have to draw the Grand Slam to ever draw a pronghorn tag.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
        I haven't looked close but does anyone know if youth are limited to only applying for 3 hunts in each category again this year?
        TPWD did this because adults were mass applying for their kids because the youth hunts are free.

Then, once drawn, many were no-shows.

Even with the three maximum in place, there are still lots of no-shows for youth hunts. Case in point, only four showed for youth mule deer at Big Bend Ranch State Park in December 2017 (out of 8 or maybe 10 drawn). Also, March 2019 youth hog hunt at Daughtrey, only four kids out of 14 showed up.

Comment

Seems to me there are more hunt options this year. Especially in youth either sex. Is it just me or did they add more across the board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

beats me... my youngest aged out 2 years ago and my grandson is only 21 months. I got a few years till I look at the youth stuff...

As I look back on the youth hunts... they were the most memorable for me. Take your kids on as many as you can. They grow up way to quickly.

Comment

Which they had a preference point option. It's a win win for everyone. The state still gets their money, people who cant make the hunt this year get to increase there odds for the next year, and the people that can hunt this year increase their odds of getting drawn as well bc less people are in the draw.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                Which they had a preference point option. It's a win win for everyone. The state still gets their money, people who cant make the hunt this year get to increase there odds for the next year, and the people that can hunt this year increase their odds of getting drawn as well bc less people are in the draw.
                Just put in the $3 for something and if you get drawn just don't accept the permit. It will get redrawn in the 2nd draw for someone else. With it being so cheap to enter buying just a preference point doesn't make as much sense as it does for the higher priced draws elsewhere.

Comment

Meant to do this today!

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                    Just put in the $3 for something and if you get drawn just don't accept the permit. It will get redrawn in the 2nd draw for someone else. With it being so cheap to enter buying just a preference point doesn't make as much sense as it does for the higher priced draws elsewhere.
                    I probably don't understand the rules 100% (matter of fact I'm sure of it) but I thought if you were drawn for a particular hunt your points will get put back to zero preference points in that category regardless of if you accept the permit or not.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                      I probably don't understand the rules 100% (matter of fact I'm sure of it) but I thought if you were drawn for a particular hunt your points will get put back at zero for that category regardless of if you accept the permit or not.
                      That is how I understand it and why I would like to see a preference point option

Comment

I've pretty much got it narrowed down on the youth hunts for my kids. I'll put them in at some point pretty soon.

Really haven't even looked at all the adult hunts yet. I'll start on that this weekend. I know there are a few categories I'll always apply for (big horn sheep and antelope for example).

Comment

I probably don't understand the rules 100% (matter of fact I'm sure of it) but I thought if you were drawn for a particular hunt your points will get put back to zero preference points in that category regardless of if you accept the permit or not.
                          That is how it works. I wanted to get my points a couple years ago, but knew I couldn't make any of the hunts, so I entered for the toughest draws. Of course I got drawn for 2 of them and lost all my points.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a good point. I believe you are right about that one. With that I can see the point in having the option just to buy a point. With how most of our luck works we would never get drawn until we are just applying for the point then lose all our points. I am fairly new to the Texas draw hunts so I don't have many points to worry about yet.

Comment

I may be in the minority, but I don't think folks should be able to buy preference points.

If you know you can't make the hunts...don't apply for them.

if you want to buy a preference point...then, IMHO you are buying your way into the hunt system.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                                Preference point systems are ruining hunts out west. Look up point creep in Wyoming as an example.

Comment

Working...
                                X