Drawn for Richland Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn for Richland Creek WMA

Got drawn for the archery hunt at Richland Creek. TPWD website says it’s closed due to regional flooding. Quick searches show the hunts have been cancelled due to flooding in the past pretty regularly. Anybody have more specifics on the current state of the WMA?

Not sure why it would be, I live about an hour southwest of it and we hadn’t had a good rain in a while.

Last year we drove by the dam and they had all the spillway gates open, my 4 yo son asked where all the waters goin so I told him. We took a right onto 287 and that area was flooded, he was lookin out the window and said wow daddy that’s alota dam water(he wasn’t using profanity he said it cause the water comin over the dam) it took a awhile for my and wife to stop laughing. Every time I drive by it still gives me a good laugh

Comment

the river bottom in that area flooded this spring and early summer. It has been receded for about 3 months or so. Hopefully the facilities were not damaged and the hunts can go on as planned, assuming it doesn't flood again this fall.

Comment

It was cancelled last year when early fall rains came. I’m actually not sure it’s been hunted in 2-3 years.

Comment

I hunted it year before last
          Last year we got hammered and this whole spring. I’m honestly surprised they are going to hunt it this year, it stayed flooded for months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Lots of hogs and good deer there

Comment

Rc wma floodwaters

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
              I hunted it year before last
              Last year we got hammered and this whole spring. I’m honestly surprised they are going to hunt it this year, it stayed flooded for months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Yeh I’m kinda too getting skeptical after research that the hunt will actually take place. Seems counter productive to offer a draw hint somewhere that has. Good chance of being canceled by it’s been flooded for months. Maybe We’ll get lucky again and itt happen but ain’t counting it.

Thanks to all who offered up advice.

Brad

Comment

Congrats

Looks like we didn't draw any archery hunts this year

Comment

In a normal year RCWMA will not flood in October. I have hunted on it and beside it on private for years. I wouldn’t worry about it flooding the chances of it doing two years in a row are slim the deer are definitely still there. Now I would be more worried that the State doesn’t rebuild the infrastructure aka roads back and open it up if it is still closed down. The hunting will be fine the deer have been getting flooded on that river for centuries!

The only time it hurts the deer is if it happens during while newborn fawns are on the ground like this year. Newborn can’t swim out.

Comment

Anybody know the status of this WMA? Website showing it’s closed Can’t get a hold of anybody and been finding bits of info it’s pretty common they cancel this hunt?

Comment

Make sure you have a LPU or APH permit if you decide to scout it, LPU is cheaper. South unit isn't closed until September 1 or October 1 every year, it changes check the APH booklet this year. North unit is only closed during the draw and post card hunts. Yes they will cancel at the drop of a hat for a little rain but last year was a legit reason to call it, flooding was bad. I've been there where it was sprinkling with chance of rain duing the hunt and they were already talking about shortening the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                        Make sure you have a LPU or APH permit if you decide to scout it, LPU is cheaper. South unit isn't closed until September 1 or October 1 every year, it changes check the APH booklet this year. North unit is only closed during the draw and post card hunts. Yes they will cancel at the drop of a hat for a little rain but last year was a legit reason to call it, flooding was bad. I've been there where it was sprinkling with chance of rain duing the hunt and they were already talking about shortening the hunt.
                        When you say south unit isn’t closed till Sept or October 1.... Does it close to the public after that? My draw is for the south unit.

Thx Brad

Comment

Found some info. I understand now. It closes to the public on October 1. Unfortunately it appears it’s already closed presently due to flooding. Beats me....

Comment

Just call the place. Just because it says closed due to flooding may be cause the web hasn't been updated in a while.
                            I've been out there 3 times but all on the north unit, so I can't say about the south unit. But I've seen some of the deer that has been taken from the south side. Pretty nice. Only advice I can give, acorns will be dropping then. Find the food, you will find the deer. Once you know what compartment you will have, do a speed scout. I always found at least 2 stand locations. I always took at least 3 stands, a climber and a couple of lock ons.
                            Good luck on the hunt!!

Comment

It probably is still closed, every time it floods like last year I think I believe the roads are damaged, hopefully everything is fixed by the october hunt but wouldn't count on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X