Three under / string walking tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three under / string walking tuning question

So I am making an honest effort to switch to three under and start using an actual deliberate aiming method. The problem I’m having is now that I have found my point on distance which is about 28 yds with this current set up I get horrible arrow flight when I walk down the string. Arrow flight is perfect if I am touching the nock but arrow porpoises like crazy if I walk down the string at all.

Adjust the nocking point and you might need to adjust your bracing height....

Comment

Use a double knocking point and might have to move it up some.

Comment

I'm new... Is there an advantage to three-under as opposed to split?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat13 View Post
          I'm new... Is there an advantage to three-under as opposed to split?
          Yes... and no...

Generally speaking (everybody is different and can do things uniquely)

If you shoot gap, which means you look at the tip of the arrow and use it as an aiming point - 3 under is preferred because it gets the arrow more in line with your eye when you anchor around your mouth/cheek, etc.

If you don't shoot gap, then it comes down to personal preference on how you want to hold the string. Some folks just like holding that arrow in place between their two fingers. Seems somewhat instinctual to do it initially before folks realize there is a nocking point that holds the nock in place on the string. If you didn't have nocking points - you'd almost have to shoot split fingered to keep the arrow from sliding up and down the string.

But... with nocking points - it is possible to shoot 3 under. I personally like shooting 3 under because in my opinion (MY OPINION) it results in a cleaner release (for me and others who are new that I have taught.) I typically teach 3 under to kids because they just love trying to hold the arrow on the string by pinching the arrow, etc, etc. pinching the nock does not make for pretty flight. The vast majority of the time, I see kiddos and newbies getting cleaner, more reliable releases when I show them how to just hook the string and slide it up until you reach the bottom of the nock and then concentrate on letting go of the string and not how your fingers straddle the nock, etc.

Another advantage to 3 under is you never touch the top nocking point. I can't tell you how often my bottom nocking point has drifted down the string because my fingers sit on it and it gets twisted down the string over time... even if I glue it! The top one never moves. I have heard of folks (not always) having their nocking point moving when shooting split. This also lets me use those cheap brass nocking points for intro bows because nobody has to touch the darn thing when shooting 3 under and most kids don't have facial hair

There are disadvantages to shooting 3 under. It is said that the bow is louder. I put string dampeners on my strings and don't notice much of a difference... probably because I don't switch between the two... and my favorite bow I had custom made so I ordered it tillered for 3 under. Also, if you are shooting split just fine - there is absolutely no reason to change.

As far as tabs/gloves go... I have shot 3 under with gloves.. but my preference is a tab. Oddly, I prefer a split finger tab when shooting 3 under because I like being able to hold the tab by squeezing the spreader on the backside of it. The result is actually me shooting split fingered - 3 under

Everybody is different.

Comment

There are a couple of ways to do it.

{1}

(a) Use a double nocking point (one above, and one below the nock) with about 1/2 the width of the nock gap between the nock, and the bottom nocking point when the nock is against the top nocking point.

(b) Start by tuning your nocking as high as it will allow for good flight when not string walking, then bring it down to as low as it will allow for good flight when not string walking, then spit the difference, and place the nocking point tune half way between those two points.

{2}

(a) Use a double nocking point (one above, and one below the nock) with about 1/2 the width of the nock gap between the nock, and the bottom nocking point when the nock is against the top nocking point.

(b) Tune for good flight at your 20 yard crawl position.

Did I say "Use a double nocking point"?. Yes. Either way.

Something to understand.
            Any time you place your fingers on the string in a different position, than from where you tuned at, it is going to change the tune.

You just have to get it to the best you can. The tighter the tiller on the bow, the better the tune you can get.

My point on is 30 yards.
            My 20 yard crawl arrow flight is as good as at my 30 yard position.
            My 15 yard crawl shows some slight nock low flight, but not bad, or enough to fuss with.
            My 10 yard crawl shows more nock low flight, but still not bad, or enough to fuss with for a 10 yard shot.
            My 5 yard crawl shows really nock low, but at 5 yards it don't matter.

Rick

Comment

Thanks rick. I was hoping you’d chime in. I’ve been shooting for 15+ years but this whole aiming thing is really throwing me into a tail spin. I get so frustrated I just want to go back to what I know. But now I’m the proud owner of one of your tabs (which I love by the way). So I guess I’ll ride it until I wear out the tab which should be for ever if what I’ve heard about your tabs is true.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                Thanks rick. I was hoping you’d chime in. I’ve been shooting for 15+ years but this whole aiming thing is really throwing me into a tail spin. I get so frustrated I just want to go back to what I know. But now I’m the proud owner of one of your tabs (which I love by the way). So I guess I’ll ride it until I wear out the tab which should be for ever if what I’ve heard about your tabs is true.
                You're quite welcome.

It's hard to make a change like that, I know all to well, but keep at it, and it will come to you. Then, you'll just have one more trick in your bag of tricks.

Glad you like the tab. Keep it lubricated, and it pretty much will - last you forever that is.
                That's the only drawback to my tabs. You have to lubricate them now & again to keep them from fuzzing up. I use coconut oil, and just rub some into the string face occasionally when it starts looking dull/dry.

Rick

Comment

Well after a little shooting session and some trouble shooting of nock point and proper and consistent anchor location I’ve determined that my point on is actually 19 yds. My 12 yd is the top of the back side of my ballistic collars and 25 is the bottom of the ballistic collar resting on the spot. So even though I haven’t figured out string walking I don’t really need it with a 19 yd point of aim. Now if I can repeat it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X