Engagement ring question/survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engagement ring question/survey

So I am starting to get myself familiar with this whole process, just in case

Question for those of you who have went through it, how did your appraisal match up to what you paid for the ring? More? Less? And who did you go through? Big name jeweler? Something else?

Those of you who know me personally...you never saw this thread

in for the green screens advice as I am also "possibly" in the market

Comment

First of all, the appraisal is just for jokes and insurance. You will never actually sell a diamond for anywhere near what it appraises for. I had a big diamond company appraise a diamond for me once. After I got the appraisal I asked to trade in the diamond for half of the value in company credit. They said no. I had the same diamond graded and appraised by 3 companies and the value was similar. I bought my diamond from a guys that buys straight for the Jews (own all the diamonds) and sells to the stores, so I paid almost the same amount for my diamond as it appraised. Get size, color and inclusions, and price match. Good luck.

Comment

I went through Kays , and it was appraised for more. But that is only for replacement I am sure. Couldn't sell it for that. Even though I will never have to

Comment

Go see Matt O'Desky at Austin Diamond District. He's in the Bank of America building at the corner of Loop 1 and 2222 but it might be the Austin Diamond Room now. Super guy and he'll put you on a helluva stone as well as give you all the info you can handle. Here's the number...(512) 458-4367 Just tell him Casey Kulhanek told you to come over and he'll have a good bourbon waiting on you when you get there! And to answer your question, they'll prolly appraise it for a bit more for insurance purposes but it depends on who you buy from or who appraises it.
          Last edited by kck; 03-04-2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

My aunt owns a jewelry store so I got the family discount. They wouldn't let me walk out the door until we had it insured and it is appraised at three times what I paid for it. Keep in mind the family discount though.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. One reason I am asking this, I have a buddy that was bragging saying that the ring he bought appraised for double what he paid for. Just curious if he did get a heck of a deal, or this is not all that rare of a feat.

Comment

I used a Jeweler called Westbrook Jewlers, owed by Jamie WestBrook on FM 1960 in the the Champions in Spring Tx.

I bought my wife a nice pear shape ring was a E - VS2 very high quality diamond. with extras added after it was all said and done the appraisal was 55% more than what I paid for the ring.

Call him tell him exactly what you want or send a picture of the ring he will get it the diamond ,show it to you and work with you however you like very patient and more reasonable than others in the Houston area.

Good Luck

Comment

Here is my advice, invest in the diamond.

Pick your diamond first, and then choose the setting.

Most women will probably say that bigger is better, but IMO I would go for a good mixture of clarity and size over just big. Also a really good cut will make the world of difference.

I can spot a yellow-tinted diamond instantly. The number one compliment I get on my ring is "Wow, it is so shiny and clear!"

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                    Thanks for the recommendation. One reason I am asking this, I have a buddy that was bragging saying that the ring he bought appraised for double what he paid for. Just curious if he did get a heck of a deal, or this is not all that rare of a feat.
                    Ask any dealer what they would pay you for a specific quality diamond. You will find out appraisal means nothing. They only way to know you are getting a good deal is to get the specifications on a particular diamond and price match. Also, certified diamonds cost more, but you tend to know what you are getting. Any jeweler can tell you it is a VSII, but how would you know?
                    Last edited by hot_rod_eddie; 03-04-2015, 02:54 PM. Reason: Ask

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
                      Here is my advice, invest in the diamond.

Pick your diamond first, and then choose the setting.

Most women will probably say that bigger is better, but IMO I would go for a good mixture of clarity and size over just big. Also a really good cut will make the world of difference.

I can spot a yellow-tinted diamond instantly. The number one compliment I get on my ring is "Wow, it is so shiny and clear!"
                      Totally agree. Also, don't go for exactly 1 carat. Everyone wants 1 carat and they are priced that way. Mine is 0.97 carat and far cheaper with the same specs. Color and inclusions.

Comment

I used a guy here in Bryan named Chuck Konderla, he owns Fifth C Jewelry. He helped me through the entire process of picking the diamond first and then built the setting. He schooled me on what to look for in a diamond and always said he wanted something clear that would catch someones eyes across a tailgate party. I highly recommend him if you ever get over this way. PM me if youd like his contact info. My ring ended up appraising almost double what i paid. My wife ended up purchasing my ring through him as well and he built her wedding band from scratch using some diamonds her grandmother had given her.

Comment

I agree with Hillary - clarity and color are the most important thing. Also, find out if this is the stone she really wants. Only reason why I say this, is I am not a diamond person, and in fact I told my husband this, and I received a diamond for my engagement ring. I would have rather had the jewel that I wanted (an emerald).

I know that I am of the minority, but it is something to think about.

Comment

independent appraisals are as worth as much as the paper they are printed on. EGL & GIA are the only 2 companies that hold their weight!

independent appraisals are that person opinion and it could be different from someone sitting next to them so who is right.

do not buy from big box stores if you can help it they will bend you over everytime.

ask the seller what the diamond raps at-you should be able to look up the value at rapaport.

Comment

DeBeers has a stranglehold on the secondary market; the appraisal is not actually useful.

Blue Nile's service has been really good.

Comment

Working...
                              X