Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In trad bows, are all string silencers created equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In trad bows, are all string silencers created equal?

So I'm trying to decide what string silencers to use with my bobcat recurve. I have beaver balls on all my others and I'm wondering what other great options there are available?

Go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's and get a skein of wool yarn. You will have enought yarn to make all the silencers you will need for thr rest of your life for about $8.

Bisch

Comment

What Bisch said. I bought a roll 6 years ago,and it still looks untouched.

Comment

Cat Whiskers are the best for me and they don't get stickers and burrs in them.

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
          So I'm trying to decide what string silencers to use with my bobcat recurve. I have beaver balls on all my others and I'm wondering what other great options there are available?
          Nope.

Wool yarn is great, and I'm not knocking my Bro's for using it, BUT it is heavy, and will rob you of some performance.

Acrylic yarn is lighter in weight, silences just as well, and is just as water resistant (think plastic for water resistant). It is not as durable as the wool, but will still last a very long time on the string, and comes in a wide variety of colors.

Rick

Comment

I am sure Mr Barbee is right but I prefer beaver balls.

Comment

I like the yarn.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                Nope.

Wool yarn is great, and I'm not knocking my Bro's for using it, BUT it is heavy, and will rob you of some performance.

Acrylic yarn is lighter in weight, silences just as well, and is just as water resistant (think plastic for water resistant). It is not as durable as the wool, but will still last a very long time on the string, and comes in a wide variety of colors.

Rick
                This. No reason to slow your bow down any more than you have to. And its like 1/100th the price of beaver balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                  I am sure Mr Barbee is right but I prefer beaver balls.
                  Yup... None of the animals I have ever killed noticed what was on the string.

Comment

Nope. Bow bows aren't equal either. I like yarn and I like beaver balls, they both work, but some bows are just more louder than others.

Comment

I know it goes against the grain for most traditionalists but I like rubber cat whiskers. After experimenting with alot of different "puff type" silencers I settled on using two sets of really small cat whiskers. They are waterproof, silence really well and according to the chrono have little effect on arrow speed.

Comment

Wool... here

Comment

Wool puffs as well. But beaver balls on my weaver selfbow.
                          B

Comment

Depends on the bow I'm shooting. On recurves I like rubber cat whiskers cut short into tight round balls. On longbows I like Beaver balls. I am currently trying the STRONG SCALLOPS by Two Tracks Bow Co and they seem to be working really well on the recurve I have them on.

Billy

Comment

STRING SCALLOPS.....not strong scallops

Comment

Working...
                              X