Magpul Dbm on non-magpul stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody add a magpul magwell to a stock that's not the magpul hunter stock? Specifically I'm wanting to add one to a long action bell and Carlson stock.

I have not done it personally but have looked into doing it. There are many articles and YouTube videos on how to. Seems fairly easy with a dremal.

Comment

I’ve done a few, Stocky’s, h&s, b&c. The main thing is make sure it’s already cut for a bdl style and it will only need minor fitting

Comment

I almost bought one of these at Academy Friday for $18 until I realized its only for the magpul stock. Maybe I should have gotten it if it only needs minor fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
          I almost bought one of these at Academy Friday for $18 until I realized its only for the magpul stock. Maybe I should have gotten it if it only needs minor fitting.
          I can't believe I got so lucky, but I found that exact same deal! I had been looking at doing this over the last couple days. I went to Academy to see if they had any deals and there was one shelf that only had one thing on it and it was a magpul dbm for long action/magnum. Couldn't believe my luck!

...So I guess I WILL be trying this. Seems straight forward from the videos online, but I'll document my process.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
            I’ve done a few, Stocky’s, h&s, b&c. The main thing is make sure it’s already cut for a bdl style and it will only need minor fitting
            This will be going on a b&c with bdl bottom metal. Hope it's simple enough. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
              This will be going on a b&c with bdl bottom metal. Hope it's simple enough. Any tips?
              Go slow. Like, real slow. Fit the magwell first, then worry about seating depth front and rear. Make sure you assemble the rifle and test fit often when fitting the depth of the bottom metal, it’s easy to get it too low in the stock and your mag won’t seat on a closed bolt.

Comment

Yep, no problem. As has been said, just go slow!

Comment

Well.. that was easy. Seems like most of the videos are for short actions and require a little more inletting. The long action, or at least mine, required very little inletting. The front bolt tab lined up perfectly, as well as the magwell. The magwell touches the stock on the four corners, but slides in with little force so I didn't remove any material here. I required a little more clearance at the rear of the trigger and sides of the trigger. :I also notched the crossbar in the fiberglass portion only as to not affect the structural aluminum block.

You all were right about going slow. Even moving slow, the dremel removes material quick. Luckily I got it to fit just right and the inletting looks as good if not better than the original bdl inletting. Will post pictures this evening.

Comment

I did it to my PSS LTR short action HS Precision stock. It wasn’t difficult and functions flawlessly.

Comment

Image 1: Dremel rear of trigger guard
                      Image 2: Dremel crossbar making sure not to dig into aluminum block
                      Image 3: Dremel/ hand sand side of trigger guard
                      Image 4: Bottom metal in place
                      Attached Files

Comment

Do y'all bed your bottom metal? Also there are a couple areas around the corners of the mag well where the contour of the original inlettng was slightly different in shape (curve on the corners of the magwell had a more gentle radius). It's hardly perceivable, but to me it might as well be a mile wide. Do y'all have any recommendation for filling these? It would be purely aesthetic to tighten up the edge.

Comment

I had one fitted to a McMillan BDL hunter stock. It is noticeably larger than a BDL bottom metal. Enough so that I paid someone to mill it out and fit it rather than go the DIY route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X