Baby pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby pigs

Anyone caught baby pigs in a trap and then kept them and raised them til they were "big enough"? My dad caught some and his neighbors want to keep them and raise them. I told him I wasnt sure about that idea. What do you guys think?

I would!

Comment

We've done it. Raised them till big enough to kill. Cut boars. Fed them corn and could get the day old bread from Ms. Bairds by the rack for like $20.

Comment

Rather common.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one right now that I caught during a varmint hunt. She is about a month old now and is smarter and more well behaved than most peoples dogs.

Comment

lots of people do it. A guy I worked with years ago used to pen up all smaller ones he caught and feed them out and sell them. He used them to train his hog dogs as well.

Comment

Several times. We had one that was like a pet she would run up and want you to scratch behind her ears...she drove my catahoula crazy!

Comment

Ya, he caught them in a coon trap by accident.

Comment

Seen several people do it. I have seen than piglet go from porkchop to pet a few times as well.

Comment

We caught one a couple years ago that was a couple weeks old. Kids wanted to keep it as a pet. Little dude was pretty cool, played with the dog and kids liked playing with him but they dont make good pets. Always getting into crap and hard to keep track of. Anyrate, after about 3 weeks we stuck a yellow ear tag in his ear and turned him back out in the general area we caught him at with hopes of seeing him while we were out hunting. Hadnt seen him since..........
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                      We caught one a couple years ago that was a couple weeks old. Kids wanted to keep it as a pet. Little dude was pretty cool, played with the dog and kids liked playing with him but they dont make good pets. Always getting into crap and hard to keep track of. Anyrate, after about 3 weeks we stuck a yellow ear tag in his ear and turned him back out in the general area we caught him at with hopes of seeing him while we were out hunting. Hadnt seen him since..........
                      Cool pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                        I would!
                        X2

Comment

I caught some that ranged from 40 lbs to 140 lbs and they had a hard time gaining weight. just ate enough to live. small ones are much eaiser but dang pigs are destructive

Comment

My BIL does it quite regularly. They're still destined for the grill, but he fattens them up on his own terms first.

Comment

Yes, It's common.
                              It is also illegal

Comment

Working...
                              X