Welding Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding Help

Ive been wanting to learn how to weld for a long time. I started to look into it, thinking I could take some classes, maybe continuing education at a Community college somewhere. The only thing I can find are through trade schools and are semester long classes.

I don't have that kind of time to devote. I'm not looking into being able to make sanitary welds or show grade welds. I just want to be able to mend a feeder, or build a cleaning rack, just mess around, etc.

Any tips or ideas to send me in the right direction?

I would try to locate a local welding shop there and maybe spend one evening a week with them and try to pick up a few pointers. For what you want to do, a Hobart 210 or a Lincoln or Miller 140 or 185 will work fine for MIG. They are really easy to operate and even come with an instruction manual. You could also get a 225 Lincoln AC/DC to use for stick welding. You can sometimes find these machines at yard sales, etc...I think they run about $250 new, while the migs will cost about $100 more.

Comment

Christian, I know your on the other end of the merto-mess, but if you'd like to learn I'd be willing to help ya both in stick and mig. I havn't got a tig set up, yet . But I got stick and mig rigs.

And as a matter of fact, I have a small stick machine in AC/DC up for grabs at the first $250. Includes various stick rods leads, and hood. I'll be posting it in the classifieds as soon as I get pics for it. It's a good little machine. I bought it new in 1993 and it almost looks that way too.

Comment

We have a Hobart mig welder and i just started workin with it until i could make some decent welds. Had some advice from a friend that is a professional welder and i was good to go. MIG welding is very easy, just find a buddy to give you some tips and get a good welder.

The hobart is made my miller, everthing on it says miller, its just cheaper. We got ours at TSC i think.

Comment

Originally posted by belly_up View Post
          find a buddy to give you some tips and get a good welder.
          Yep, that's what I would do. I've been doing it for a living now for over 20 yrs. If you can find somebody close to show you how to get started, that would be your best bet. Then once you get started, you can e-mail me for any questions you may have.

Comment

Just like everyone else said, watch and learn. That is how I got started a long time ago and I've burning rods every since. I started with a mig and later had to switch to stick to do a fence. I prefer stick now because it seems like more a challange.

The other equiptment that tou might want to look into is a chop saw, grinder, hood and some good clamps. I have a saw blade that will cut metal like wood for a circular saw. I cost about $50 at Lowe's. Good bloves are also a must. I'd be glad to help you out if needed.

Comment

try Mt. View Comm college, non credit intro to welding. You can go as much as 4 nites per week, plus Sat/Sun, or as little as you want. I took this class last spring and it was a blast. You have access to oxy-acet/wire/stick/mig/plasma etc.

The CE/non credit is good because some weeks you may go alot, others not at all. After the first 2 weeks, the class size really drops off and you can work on whatever you want. Best part is the tuition covers all supplies and materials.

Mt View is a bit of drive south of I-30 and Spur 408, but it was fun. Hopefully this summer, I'll fit in another class.

Comment

Sqiggy and Big Iron, Just wondering what do yall produce, make, create? I've been do-n it since I was 18 in a lot of differnent industries. It would be nice to know other TBHers that do it for a living beside me.

Big, did we meet at the pre Hunters Extravi party?

(make note to myself: Sqiggy and Big Iron = welding bro-thas.)

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Sqiggy, Just wondering what do yall produce, make, create?
                  Depends on what you mean??
                  If your referring to my line of work, I'm in inspection now. Rail tank cars. Before that, I ran the road working shutdowns, turnarounds, pipelines, just about anything to do with boiler tubes and pipe.
                  If your referring to huntin, I make my own climbing stands, have built a couple lock-on's but without a bender, it's easier to just buy one, make my own climbing sticks, make my own feeders, which will last forever and won't bend or break. I sold quite a few of these this year and have orders for more, but I refuse to do side work after deer season starts.

Comment

Spent a few hours with my brother and his mig down in Corpus this weekend and was surprised how easy it was compared to my stick welding days many years ago... It'll certainly take some time to get consistent with the uphills and downhills but I've got a good start. A Miller 180 is high on my list these days.....gotta check on the cost of running a 220 plug in my garage/shop first.

Comment

I was there at the Railhead. I am project manager for a commercial const company. All of my welding has been just for hobby or necessity for now.

Here are a few projects that I have posted here.

Comment

Sorry, I just realized that I kinda hijacked this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_IRON View Post
                          Sorry, I just realized that I kinda hijacked this thread.

Cory do you still have that bow rack available?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_IRON View Post

I was there at the Railhead. I am project manager for a commercial const company.......
                            Yes, its coming back to me now, my...........my.........my memory!

Sqiggy, I was reffering to your work industrie. Thanks! It's always nice to know what a brutha dose . I have a "brief" history with Trinity, and have bene with many other heavy iron shops. Currently in aviation field again, making heilo parts for Bell's commercial devision this time. Much lighter work load

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Cory do you still have that bow rack available?

Yea, my wife is still sick of looking at it. She will be going back to work in Dallas on Thursday. Call me @ 214-399-8920 to make arrangements.

Comment

Working...
                              X