Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effect of turtles on the fish population in a pond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effect of turtles on the fish population in a pond?

I’ve got a small pond (a little less than 1/2 an acre), and for the last couple of years I’ve always had a couple of turtles in it. I haven’t messed with them because I figure a couple of turtles would be good for eating fish that die, and also the occasional snake that I shoot. The other day if was nice and sunny and there were 7 or 8 decent sized turtles basking on the bank, way more than have been in there in the past. My question is this: how much of an effect will they have on the fish population in my pond? Are they quick/big enough to catch the catfish I stocked in October, which are now about 8-9 inches long? Should I remove them, or just leave them alone?

My population jumped way up this yr also for some reason. My pond is about the same size. I don't have much cover in it and I'm worried about them eating the fish eggs this spring.

Comment

Red ear sliders wont bother your catfish. The eat bugs, dead fish, dead animals and some plants. If they are Snapping turtles they will prey on small fish they catch. I always let a few turtles live in my tanks. They are nomadic and sometime I have a few and sometimes I have a dozen or so. When they get bad the nephew controls the population. I have 2 resident turtles in 1 tank that eat food from the fish feeder. They know what time its goes off and start heading towards the feeder right before it goes off.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
        Red ear sliders wont bother your catfish. The eat bugs, dead fish, dead animals and some plants. If they are Snapping turtles they will prey on small fish they catch. I always let a few turtles live in my tanks. They are nomadic and sometime I have a few and sometimes I have a dozen or so. When they get bad the nephew controls the population. I have 2 resident turtles in 1 tank that eat food from the fish feeder. They know what time its goes off and start heading towards the feeder right before it goes off.
        Thanks for the info!

Comment

If there's too many make some turtle soup. Otherwise I've seen them travel some odd distances. Could be nomadic like above mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
            I have seen turtles do the same thing. Not sure where they get their watches but they are never late!

Comment

I do see them on occasion moving from pond to pond.

Comment

A turtle not fast moving but they are deliberate....

Comment

I have a 3/4-1 acre pond behind my house. It has been stocked for 10+ years with black bass, hybrid bluegill, and fathead minnows. I have never caught a bass over 3 lbs and most were around 12-16” long. I noticed a few turtles over the years and thought I would build a trap to catch a few. I caught over 150 turtles in a year! The fish are consistently bigger and I seem to be catching more. There are likely more turtles in your pond than you think there are.

Comment

Here:

Comment

Originally posted by stroker_ace View Post
                      I have a 3/4-1 acre pond behind my house. It has been stocked for 10+ years with black bass, hybrid bluegill, and fathead minnows. I have never caught a bass over 3 lbs and most were around 12-16” long. I noticed a few turtles over the years and thought I would build a trap to catch a few. I caught over 150 turtles in a year! The fish are consistently bigger and I seem to be catching more. There are likely more turtles in your pond than you think there are.
                      This! Set a trap in a buddies tank and caught 96 in a 2 week soak!

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                        I have seen turtles do the same thing. Not sure where they get their watches but they are never late!
                        Walmart, turtles ain't got much money

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post

Wouldn’t happen to have the build specs on something like this would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I might have to build me a turtle trap. I’m not mad enough at them to kill them

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                              I might have to build me a turtle trap. I’m not mad enough at them to kill them

I don’t kill them either.....
                              Going to trap and relocate some of them this summer

Comment

Working...
                              X