Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
Kossetx
Eight Point

Default Veterans, does it make you uncomfortable?

To be thanked for your service? I sorta didn't know I was a veteran until about 15 years ago. Before that I was just someone who had been in the navy.

Times sure have changed...
Kossetx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Bowtech38
Pope & Young

For me yes.
Bowtech38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

I'm retired did my 20 and don't need to be thanked but if someone says thank u I just say no problem and carry on!
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

I have 2 gentlemen that have called me every single Veterans Day since I got out in 1992. It does make me uncomfortable but I do appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

It used to, probably because I didn't know what to say. Now when someone thanks me, I say "Thank you for your support".
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
toomuchsun
Four Point

Thank You.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

It does, but that doesn't mean their thanks are any less appreciated. I'm just a really humble guy who's not looking for accolades or thanks. But I really appreciate the support for today's military and how society is somewhat righting the wrongs to veterans of generations past, like when my dad returned from Vietnam.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #8
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

It doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. No, I didn't serve with bullets flying over my head, but I put in 21 years of my life, and my family's life with many days/weeks gone from home. I'd do it again, but I'd do it different. And on each thanks, I say you're welcome.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #9
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

it was my honor to serve this nation; no thanks necessary.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #10
Quanah11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I don’t want a pat on the back or a handshake I just say “thank you for the support”
But sometimes I do like to think people really care about what we are doing over there. I thought I was being medically retired until about a month ago and I’m going back on duty, which is what I preferred I’ve been in the infantry for 10 years and it’s nice to see people care 18 yrs after 9/11
Quanah11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

It doesn’t make me uncomfortable
It does annoy me at times. I mean I didn’t do anything heroic or out of the ordinary.... I just did my job... no different than the stock boy at the local H-E-B. You don’t say thanks to him for keepin the shelves stocked

Kinda like when you sneeze 4-5 times in a row and you get the 4-5 bless you’s.... ok I got it, just stop already

Maybe I’m just an ***??
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #12
bigmike
Ten Point

Yes it does
bigmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
Craw3773
Four Point

Hunt In: Surrounding Area

I heard a great line the other day. "If you want to thank a veteran, be an American worth fighting for" thought I might share
Craw3773 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #14
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craw3773 View Post
I heard a great line the other day. "If you want to thank a veteran, be an American worth fighting for" thought I might share
now that is good!!
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:27 PM   #15
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Yes
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #16
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

every year the same question...
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #17
W-O
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hilda, Tx

Yes, I usually say your welcome or thank you. I served for my reasons and not for a thanks or a discount. I was a child during Vietnam and those veterans along with Korea and WWII have always been my heroes. Maybe I feel guilt that I am getting a thanks when those veterans of Vietnam did not and they deserve it more than I do. I have not replaced my Marine Corps cap for this reason.
W-O is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #18
MUZZYSLINGR
Eight Point

Yup, it does. Usually i just respond with a youíre welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #19
jabel
Six Point

Hunt In: Coryell

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
it was my honor to serve this nation; no thanks necessary.
This is the way I feel too.
jabel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #20
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
It used to, probably because I didn't know what to say. Now when someone thanks me, I say "Thank you for your support".

yep......
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #21
Matt_C
Ten Point

Yep.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #22
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty
Default Veterans, does it make you uncomfortable?

Know that you guys are appreciated. I feel weird thanking folks I donít know, for their service. I try to pick up a bill every now and then without being weird. but we donít see many servicemen/women around here.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-13-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #23
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I was in a bar in downtown Ft Worth several years back, with my cousins wedding party. There were a group of 12-15 marines at a table not far from ours. We had a good time with them, bought them a round, and they all danced with the bride and donated a couple bucks to the jar the girls were passing around for her. I guess they were having a similar party as most were in dress unis, they were all super respectful and a blast to hang out with. Anyway a scrum broke out, I donít think it was anything to do with them, but I couldnít tell, wasnít much to it anyway. Either way they all left quick and left one guy at the bar waiting to pay the tab. He was looking super nervous watching the door so I asked if he needed to get gone. He said ďyes sir, but I need to pay up first.Ē The beer tenders was way behind, I said man we will take care of it, get out of here before you get in trouble. He tried to refuse but finally shook my hand and thanked me. My brother in law and I laughed for 20 minutes about those men and women trying to get wherever they needed to get in uniform, without getting in trouble. When we payed the tab the bartender said 4 people had offered to pay it.. It was a fun night, Iíve never enjoyed a hangover that much since then.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 12:53 AM   #24
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

A little but as it has become more common to be thanked and especially since it says veteran on my TDL and lots of places are generously offering discounts it happens more often so I have become more comfortable with it.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 01:04 AM   #25
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
A little but as it has become more common to be thanked and especially since it says veteran on my TDL and lots of places are generously offering discounts it happens more often so I have become more comfortable with it.
CHL too
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 01:10 AM   #26
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craw3773 View Post

Yep, saw it on crack book as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 01:20 AM   #27
Johnny44
Ten Point

I say, hope it weren’t all for nuthin
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #28
Kossetx
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
every year the same question...
So why did you respond if it gets old? I never saw it posted before.

What was saying folks is I got out in '82. Sure no one was thanking me then and I didn't think they should. Those folks 10 years older than me got a whole lot worse reception.

Why it makes me awkward is because no one cared for so long.
Kossetx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #29
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
Now when someone thanks me, I say "Thank you for your support".

So simple and so easy......both walk away feeling good....
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #30
roughneck266
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

Yeah, it makes me a little uneasy. Honestly, the time I spent in the service was probably the smartest thing I ever did.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #31
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

You guys deserve to be thanked daily. I'm kinda glad I'm not speaking Japanese, German or Russian at the moment.... even though I was just talking to my cowboy in Spanish.... thank you all!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #32
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

My mom always does it. I’ve noticed that it often causes discomfort. I’ve tried to talk to her about it, but it doesn’t do any good.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #33
gscout01
Four Point

Yes it does. For many reasons. I never feel the need to be thanked for something I volunteered to do. I never know what to say either. I also dont want to be one of those sorry veterans walking around saying " you're welcome for my service do yall have a veterans discount?" I think thats a load of crud honestly. It's become very PC to have to thank veterans and it's because of those shameless vets that ask for people's thanks and attention. Not taking anything away from vets or those that are thankful and support them. I just think that theres some turds in the chili bowl that make it weird for everyone...
gscout01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #34
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

I think one reason it’s awkward is because a lot of folks, or at least me, feel like the military gave them more than they were able to give.

I’m a firm believer in democracy but I also think our country and our citizens might be better off if there was obligatory military and/or social service.

Lastly, I’ve found it less awkward if you simply ask a person in uniform “what is your military specialty?, how long have you been in service?, where are you from?, etc.” Then simply say, I’m sure glad we have young men/women like you serving this great country.
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #35
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee Co

What makes it awkward (for me) is when walking into a restaurant for lunch or breakfast and someone offers to pay for the meal. Then they force their way to the register before you can pay when declining their offer.

Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 12:41 AM   #36
Draco
Pope & Young

It's better than getting spit on or a soft drink thrown on you. Both those happened to me in "71 when I came back I threw down twice in two different air ports. Thank goodness the air port authorities were great in both places.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 05:01 AM   #37
DWA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo pinto Johnson counties and Sonora

Yep. I never know to respond. Always end up saying no, thank you. Least gooberish thing to say
DWA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #38
Pirk
Spike

Hunt In: Any Where I Can

I retired after 22 years of service. When people thank me for my service. I just say thank you for your support. I also like to thanking the husbands & wives that stood beside there service members. My wife stood beside me the 22 years and still together at 36 years.
Pirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #39
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

From the other side ( not a veteran ), some of us that didnt serve feel that the LEAST we can do is show appreciation. For me there is a bit of guilt ( for lack of a better word ) for not serving. Like someone else carried the load for me. As a fiercly independant person, that is humbling.

I have heard some say "well I just went to South Korea, never fought", or it was 1978, there was nothing really going on then" etc.

To me, while there is a special place place in my heart for combat vets, in the end its all the same. Served our Country, signed on the line risking death for a cause greater than yourself. For liberty.

That is more honorable than anything I have ever done and I am grateful.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #40
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout01 View Post
Yes it does. For many reasons. I never feel the need to be thanked for something I volunteered to do. I never know what to say either. I also dont want to be one of those sorry veterans walking around saying " you're welcome for my service do yall have a veterans discount?" I think thats a load of crud honestly. It's become very PC to have to thank veterans and it's because of those shameless vets that ask for people's thanks and attention. Not taking anything away from vets or those that are thankful and support them. I just think that theres some turds in the chili bowl that make it weird for everyone...
Iíve been literally hounded by ďVetsĒ who want me to game the VA system with specious claims to collect easy money. I never took a dime for a permanent injury I sustained while in because it was my own stupid fault. I donít advertise being a vet. I donít walk around in my Desert storm hat except maybe on Veterans Day but if a business chooses to say thanks by offering a discount and I accept it.... well I guess that makes me a **** in the chili bowl.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #41
gscout01
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
Iíve been literally hounded by ďVetsĒ who want me to game the VA system with specious claims to collect easy money. I never took a dime for a permanent injury I sustained while in because it was my own stupid fault. I donít advertise being a vet. I donít walk around in my Desert storm hat except maybe on Veterans Day but if a business chooses to say thanks by offering a discount and I accept it.... well I guess that makes me a **** in the chili bowl.

I'm on the same page as you. By saying **** in the chili bowl I'm talking about the vets that seek out discounts and ask any and everytime they purchase something. I've heard vets say they're getting what they're owed. I suppose that's why I feel the way I feel. I dont believe that just because you're a vet anyone owes you a single thing. I have the same feelings about the VA also. I wont use the VA because it's completely clogged with people seeking a paycheck and the truly injured dont get the care they need.
gscout01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #42
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

I thank them back for the recognition. Wasn't that way when I joined in 1980 - pains from Vietnam and Liberals spreading hate. And it wasn't much better in 2000 when I retired. 9/11 brought the change and it's good to see.

I reach out to every Vietnam Veteran I run into and I thank them and apologize for the crap they went through. Much respect for those and the Korean war vets - they had it hellish without much support.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #43
drbonner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

I tell every vet I see thanks! I teach my kids to tell them too. I don’t make a public scene of it, just tell them quietly. I’m sorry if it makes some of them uncomfortable, I just really appreciate your service to our country. I think that may be a generational thing. Most of the older guys I talk to really appreciate the words as some of them got a lot worse when they came home from overseas.
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #44
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kossetx View Post
So why did you respond if it gets old? I never saw it posted before.

What was saying folks is I got out in '82. Sure no one was thanking me then and I didn't think they should. Those folks 10 years older than me got a whole lot worse reception.

Why it makes me awkward is because no one cared for so long.
Use the search feature, it's pretty handy.
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #45
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

I am pretty humble and while I appreciate the thanks it does make me feel a little weird. I feel like my service was something I chose to do. I made the choice for my own personal reasons. I did it as much for my own benefit as I did out of a sense of duty, service and tradition. I got more out of it than anything. I was never in harms way. I was no hero. I just was a guy who volunteered, wore the uniform, went to work and did what I was asked to do and I was compensated for it in a number of ways. So yeah, it always feels weird when I say something in passing about "Right after I got out of the Navy we..." "Thank you for your service!" "Uh, oh, uh, well you are welcome."

But I also do appreciate that people are thankful and that they take the time to recognize our service. I'd rather have praise I feel I am not owed than hate that I know I am not owed.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #46
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

No. I always reply “Just did my duty. It was my pleasure”....because it was...”Thank you!”

I always asked if the person thanking served...most times the response is “no...but some family member(s) are in the...whatever branch”. I thank the thanker for supporting their service member and ask them to thank their service member for me.

When I see someone wearing veteran swag...I go out of my way to thank them for their service.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2019, 12:09 AM   #47
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Not a vet, but I am a firefighter/medic and I get weirded out when people thank me for what I do. It’s hard to explain to people that I chose this profession, that I absolutely love my job, and that the city I work for pays me way too much for what i do.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2019, 01:14 AM   #48
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion, Kimble & Fayette counties

It doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable. It sure beats what our Vietnam vets came home to. I typically reply with “I appreciate your support.”

I’m no war hero but I did pledge an oath to defend my nation and its people. Nothing wrong with feeling appreciated.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #49
lunatic'hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, Montana

This. Happened to my brother in '68. (QUOTE=Draco;14508352]It's better than getting spit on or a soft drink thrown on you. Both those happened to me in "71 when I came back I threw down twice in two different air ports. Thank goodness the air port authorities were great in both places.[/QUOTE]
lunatic'hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #50
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout01 View Post
I'm on the same page as you. By saying **** in the chili bowl I'm talking about the vets that seek out discounts and ask any and everytime they purchase something. I've heard vets say they're getting what they're owed. I suppose that's why I feel the way I feel. I dont believe that just because you're a vet anyone owes you a single thing. I have the same feelings about the VA also. I wont use the VA because it's completely clogged with people seeking a paycheck and the truly injured dont get the care they need.
Same here.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top