Another Math Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Math Question

I just had my bowstrings replaced and clearly gained some velocity. My old strings were sighted in. New strings shot 8 inches high. How many FPS did I gain with the new strings?

I did not chronograph either string.

Knock moved, peep moved, or both. Unless you had a lady estimate the 8" based on what they have been told. No way new strings gain that much speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can't correlate point of impact to velocity alone.

Comment

Odds are your peep is higher

Comment

I think yall are right, but I was having fun with the math trying to figure it out (as if velocity change was the only variable that changed) and got stuck
          Last edited by Txhuntr2; 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            Knock moved, peep moved, or both. Unless you had a lady estimate the 8" based on what they have been told. No way new strings gain that much speed.

Close the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
              I just had my bowstrings replaced and clearly gained some velocity. My old strings were sighted in. New strings shot 8 inches high. How many FPS did I gain with the new strings?

I did not chronograph either string.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                curt is usually correct.

Comment

If new string are shorter than the old stretched out strings that would increase the brace height and shorten the power stroke and reduce velocity??????

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    Is this based on acceleration by gravity to drop the arrow 8 inches to a target 20 yards away.

I can figure time to drop 8 inches but get stuck after that. Its been a long time since college physics class!

Comment

No sir. I picked a 3 and then I picked a 6. They were right there on the keyboard.

Comment

Nocking point on new string is lower than old string or your peep sight is higher. Enough said, anymore thought is a waste of time.

Comment

Curt is wrong!! It's 32

(For the same reason)

Comment

Fair enough. Guess I'm the only one who likes thought experiments

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              If new string are shorter than the old stretched out strings that would increase the brace height and shorten the power stroke and reduce velocity??????

But with longer string the draw weight would be less since limbs would be more relaxed for lack of a better term thus making it slower

Comment

Working...
                              X