Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Walker
Ten Point
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default foot switch for grinder

Anybody use the foot switch from Harbor Freight? Is 15 amps heavy enough to run my grinder? Lem Mighty Bite #8. 500/1000 watt peak. Dont want to buy a switch only to overload and burn it up.

Last edited by Walker; 11-16-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
WTJim
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default

I have the HF foot switch. I use a Cabelas 1HP grinder. Wife and I just packaged 120# snowing burger and 30# of cubed venison steak. Switch worked just fine.
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Leaverrite
Four Point
 
Leaverrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Tx
Hunt In: Cowboy Capital
Default

Looked at the 1HP Cabelas user manual and their expensive brand of foot petal was 15Amps also, should not be an issue. I'm ordering one also.

Pg. 26, https://www.cabelas.com/assets/produ...e_Grinders.pdf
Leaverrite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
bigchiefj
Six Point
 
bigchiefj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
Default

I use a similar sized switch with a 3/4 hp LEM so you'll be fine with the smaller #8 LEM.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

I don't but a buddy does and the HF one works just fine with his 1hp Cabelas. I would have one but I found my Cabelas one on sale for $19.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
Walker
Ten Point
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Im headed to get one today.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Anybody use the foot switch from Harbor Freight? Is 15 amps heavy enough to run my grinder? Lem Mighty Bite #8. 500/1000 watt peak. Dont want to buy a switch only to overload and burn it up.
Umm, yeah.... 15 AMP is more than enough to run the grinder. I have the LEM foot switch that I received as a present. There is nothing fancy about it. Just a 15A foot switch.

The only time I ever really use it is when I am grinding directly into those chub bags.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTJim View Post
I have the HF foot switch. I use a Cabelas 1HP grinder. Wife and I just packaged 120# snowing burger and 30# of cubed venison steak. Switch worked just fine.
HF has three different Foot switches, "Moneraty", "Power Maintained" (both for $13.99) and the "TIG Remote control" for $80 (I think it's for welding?!)

which one is the right one for 1 HP Cabela's Grinder?
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Umm, yeah.... 15 AMP is more than enough to run the grinder. I have the LEM foot switch that I received as a present. There is nothing fancy about it. Just a 15A foot switch.

The only time I ever really use it is when I am grinding directly into those chub bags.

I love mine for stuffing off the grinder ...if a casing breaks or runs out, I can stop it instantly. No reaching around the back to turn it off

Last edited by Smart; 11-16-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
HF has three different Foot switches, "Moneraty", "Power Maintained" (both for $13.99) and the "TIG Remote control" for $80 (I think it's for welding?!)

which one is the right one for 1 HP Cabela's Grinder?



Momentary...


https://www.harborfreight.com/moment...tch-96619.html

Last edited by Smart; 11-16-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Thanks man!

The link you posted, is for something else... "Cell phone signal booster"
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

Not sure about the one you're asking about, but I would think it should work. I have an old sewing machine foot pedal on my 1 3/4HP Hobart grinder

Foot pedals are a must have for making link sausage
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
Thanks man!

The link you posted, is for something else... "Cell phone signal booster"

you sure? look at your quote..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
you sure? look at your quote..
I did several times, it goes to some weird website that's not even HF...
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #15
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I love mine for stuffing off the grinder ...if a casing breaks or runs out, I can stop it instantly.
Yep... that's where they shine. I personally don't like stuffing casings with the grinder... I prefer a 25# stuffer for that. But I do grind burger directly into those plastic tape off bags and I can stop it right within a .05 of a pound with the foot pedal. Makes bagging up 25+ of burger go by real fast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #16
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Anybody use the foot switch from Harbor Freight? Is 15 amps heavy enough to run my grinder? Lem Mighty Bite #8. 500/1000 watt peak. Dont want to buy a switch only to overload and burn it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
I did several times, it goes to some weird website that's not even HF...
I checked... and yeah, did the same for me too...
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
I did several times, it goes to some weird website that's not even HF...

your quote says harbor freight? TBH has been jacked up some so who knows
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #18
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
HF has three different Foot switches, "Moneraty", "Power Maintained" (both for $13.99) and the "TIG Remote control" for $80 (I think it's for welding?!)

which one is the right one for 1 HP Cabela's Grinder?
Like Smart said... MOMENTARY is the one that most folks use... and is the style that the LEM one is and would in my opinion give yo the best control for stuffing....

But I may just go and by a Power Maintained one for general purpose grinding. When I am just grinding 20-50# of meat, I will often pause a couple times to swap out bowls, etc. and the reason I don't use the foot pedal is because believe it or not, keeping your foot on that thing while you are shuffling around is annoying (and one reason I don't use it most of the time since I stuff with a stuffer.) However, reaching over and flipping the switch with your hands is also annoying (because you know that is just another thing that needs to be wiped down. For $14... a regular foot switch would come in really handy (also allows you to put the switch on either side of the counter... whereas the switch on mine is always on one side and it isn't the most convenient side.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #19
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Yep... that's where they shine. I personally don't like stuffing casings with the grinder... I prefer a 25# stuffer for that. But I do grind burger directly into those plastic tape off bags and I can stop it right within a .05 of a pound with the foot pedal. Makes bagging up 25+ of burger go by real fast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk



I love it with the auger extension for the tube/horn add on. No pulverizing and fast as hell. No loading of a stuffer or extra cleanup.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #20
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
your quote says harbor freight? TBH has been jacked up some so who knows
I clicked on your link to... it goes here

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...CABEgJOYfD_BwE

If you mouse over it, that is the link that shows up... but... if you cut and paste the text into your browser... it goes to the switch you are talking about....

very weird.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #21
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I love it with the auger extension for the tube/horn add on. No pulverizing and fast as hell. No loading of a stuffer or extra cleanup.
I bought the tubes for mine (LEM) with the stuffing plate. It seemed slow to me and not fast.... but could be my grinder. I have a #8 stainless big bite LEM so it isn't the most powerful in the world.

I completely agree, I bemoan having to clean yet another friggin thing... and when I just had the 5# stuffer... it was annoying as hell reloading that thing. When I invested in the 25# stuffer, I changed my tune alot... I do hate having to clean the darn thing... but for me. having the stuffing tube 1" off the table top and only having to apply pressure with a crank, that I can easily regulate speed/force and also back off... and not have to worry about heat build up... is what makes it worth it in the end.

I admit... I have a hard time stuffing the grinder, and holding the casing in the air as it comes off, and managing the foot pedal all that the same time. I'll admit I guess I am just not that coordinated. With the stuffer, it is crank and the other hand just holds the casing pressure and the finished stuffed casing just glides across the counter top. Don't have to coordinate much more than that.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #22
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

But there is no way I'd stuff with a grinder without a foot pedal...
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #23
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Yeah I have the 1 HP so that is probably makes a difference. This is the auger extension I was referring to below. I leave the star/T out as well. We do 300-400 lbs at a time so that little extension makes quick work of it and as you can see in the last picture the coarse integrity of the grind is kept in the casings so its not like hotdog sausage.


Name:  IMG_5104.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5105.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  SM3.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  100.1 KB..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #24
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

Smart is right

If you use the extension on the grinder you will quit using a stuffer. Nothing is faster and easier than a grinder with the extension and a foot pedal.


You can use a kidney plate and add cheese to the sausage without chopping it all up. The plate works for boudin too
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #25
Walker
Ten Point
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Just picked one up, the momentary model. Lookes all over the store. Electric cord aisle, no. Lighting aisle, no. Finally found it on the floor shelf under the grinding stones and belts.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #26
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

My complaint with the grinder for stuffing is cramming the meat down the hole. The hole is probably larger on bigger grinders and less of an issue. I bought and restored a vintage 8 quart stuffer but have not used it yet.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #27
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Jason,
I should've bought all of those dadgum Cabela's ones on Clearance a couple of years ago.

I still kick myself for not....
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
Jason,
I should've bought all of those dadgum Cabela's ones on Clearance a couple of years ago.

I still kick myself for not....



Yup that was a heckuva deal at the time....I've done my fair share of hindsight purchase misses like that myself.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #29
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Smart is right



screen shot!..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #30
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Yup that was a heckuva deal at the time....I've done my fair share of hindsight purchase misses like that myself.
There was a 2 HP in the bargain Cave for $599 for several months... I even picked it up and put it in a shopping cart once and then changed my mind on the way to the cash register,,, that thing was a MOSTER....
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #31
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Smart is right
That made me laugh too... I understand where he comes from
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
There was a 2 HP in the bargain Cave for $599 for several months... I even picked it up and put it in a shopping cart once and then changed my mind on the way to the cash register,,, that thing was a MOSTER....



Niiice! I be that thing would eat .....and stuff!!



When they changed over the Cabelas grinders to these new big mouths 4-5 years ago, the older style 1HPs like I already had were $197 on clearance. I think I got three for folks that had me running around picking them up in Allen. I wish I would have picked up another one just as a backup for the one I already owned. If anything, like you said, I won't run across that anymore plus I could run two here on our 400lbs plus days..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
bigchiefj
Six Point
 
bigchiefj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
Default

I prefer the "power maintained" over the momentary for grinding. I have both switches and mainly use the momentary with some power tools for safety.

I think HF is pretty good about returns if you're not satisfied.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #34
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

I don't know the difference between Monetary and Maintained.... Anyone care to elaborate?
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #35
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
I don't know the difference between Monetary and Maintained.... Anyone care to elaborate?

Momentary - put foot on its on, take foot off its off


Maintained - turn on with a press, turn off with a press.


I like the momentary for the safety aspect and you don't have to go fish for a pedal if a casing breaks to turn off....just lift up and its off.....but that's just my preference. Either is fine

Last edited by Smart; 11-16-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #36
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Smart is right

If you use the extension on the grinder you will quit using a stuffer. Nothing is faster and easier than a grinder with the extension and a foot pedal.


You can use a kidney plate and add cheese to the sausage without chopping it all up. The plate works for boudin too
Smart is extremely knowledgeable about processing, and I definitely listen and have learned a ton from him on here about cold smoking, smoking, (love my thermo-pop!), pulled pork, etc.

There isn't really a "right" or "wrong"... well scratch that... I have seen plenty of "WRONG" but you get my drift. For everything there is a tradeoff. For my grinder, there is no way it would run faster than my stuffer in stuffing casings. At the time, LEM didn't have an auger extender... and I could see how that would help... and I wish there was something that made the 2" bag stuffer have that extra auger in it... might have to rig something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
My complaint with the grinder for stuffing is cramming the meat down the hole. The hole is probably larger on bigger grinders and less of an issue. I bought and restored a vintage 8 quart stuffer but have not used it yet.
When using a grinder to stuff... you have to cram meat into the auger and create the back pressure... you have to run the auger.. you have to control the casing fill rate (how much casing you let flow off the tube) and you have to ensure the stuffed sausage lays out on the table.

Although it requires an extra thing to clean - and you have to fill it (which is no different than feeding the grinder...) I much prefer the one person approach to the stuffer in controlling the flow rate of the meat and the casing by one person. The crank controls the speed and provides the back pressure. This means I can do it single handed.

When there are two people, it isn't so bad with the grinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Yeah I have the 1 HP so that is probably makes a difference. This is the auger extension I was referring to below. I leave the star/T out as well. We do 300-400 lbs at a time so that little extension makes quick work of it and as you can see in the last picture the coarse integrity of the grind is kept in the casings so its not like hotdog sausage.
Yep... I don't like anything breaking up the cheese or rice or whatever... I bet your grinder/auger doesn't do that as bad as a #8 grinder... just because the plate opening is bigger and there is more room in the auger/tube.

I see how you situated the grinder for stuffing, so that the output sits at table level... We stuff in the kitchen and I had thought about getting/building stand that would offset it for stuffing... and I'd have to do that if I didn't have the crank stuffer.

but I do notice you have 3 people helping you With the manual stuffer, it isn't so bad to create a coil with just me... although I admit... my beautiful wife usually coils it, and twists the links as I put on another casing and start another set of links.

I'll admit... with lots of help and stuffing 100s of pounds of sausage in one sitting... your setup is more efficient.

I would be curious though... if it was just you... and no help... you had to feed the grinder, man the foot switch, and coil the result... do you think the grinder would still be easier?

80% of the time, I have a helper... but in the other 20% of the time, I couldn't see doing it with the grinder.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #37
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

When you look back and realize you wrote WAY to much stuff on a thread about a foot pedal....
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #38
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Ive seen folks use a lazy susan to coil the sausage solo. Seemed pretty clutch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #39
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
I would be curious though... if it was just you... and no help... you had to feed the grinder, man the foot switch, and coil the result... do you think the grinder would still be easier?

80% of the time, I have a helper... but in the other 20% of the time, I couldn't see doing it with the grinder.

Sure but I would never do it by myself....Don't need to. That is part of the fun of making it....the gathering. I can stuff and coil on my own....and my wife can run the feed if I lost all my friends who deer hunt and want to make it with us.....but alone would not work. There is no shortage of folks on TBH or fellow deer hunters who want to come learn or make it either.....so much so that I have entertained making a larger smokehouse to cut it to one weekend instead of two weekends for Casa de Smart..

That being said...for somebody that did everything by themselves for tiny batches, sure there are more efficient ways from a labor and practicality sense...but I have cranked on many a stuffer with those big amounts and swore I'd never go back to them. I went from stuffing off a Hobart style grinder with Breezy, his family and my family when I was younger to using a crank stuffer up here because I didn't want to spend the money on a big grinder with my friends. Was not a fan of the hand crank. I eventually burned my little Northern Tool Grinder up, my buddy kept his stuffer housed and I used that opportunity to make myself buy one big enough to stuff on so our arms didn't look like Popeyes after a long day of cranking.

Last edited by Smart; 11-16-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
When you look back and realize you wrote WAY to much stuff on a thread about a foot pedal....



Raises hand too....and was thinking that exact thing while I was typing before I read this post..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #41
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

I wish!!! Just getting everybody out at the lease at the same time took a miracle of God... trying to get everybody to come over for a sausage making get-together, which would be awesome... would fail miserably...

Seems all my consistent hunting buddies... we all live on different corners of the state!
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #42
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

We used to get together with Jason ("Smart") and a few others and make sausage and hunter's sticks. some of the best times ever, but it fell apart. I bought a grinder, a scale and a 20# stuffer for that event and ended up not using them as much and sold them. Now I have a grinder again and plan on making sausage again,,, just wish I could get enough hunters to join and make a fun and productive annual event.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
I wish!!! Just getting everybody out at the lease at the same time took a miracle of God... trying to get everybody to come over for a sausage making get-together, which would be awesome... would fail miserably...



LMAO...It does take an act of God but I start in early January trying to get a date set. It has left some folks out when we get a good date but we have to have good cool/cold dry weather to get it done.. We are at the mercy of the weather and folks that make it know that. The good thing is January and Feb are before all the weekend kids sports/activities start to fire up heavily and hunting season has slowed down for most,.... so my group is pretty flexible then.


That being said I have had a year or two where we just couldn't make it happen and I made it all in to bacon burger and jerky..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #44
Duane
Ten Point
 
Duane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri City TX
Hunt In: Brady TX
Default

Last year was the first time I used a momentary foot pedal (Cabelas). Not sure how I managed before without it.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #45
hunting270
Ten Point
 
hunting270's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming
Default

I have one and it works great.
hunting270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #46
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
We used to get together with Jason ("Smart") and a few others and make sausage and hunter's sticks. some of the best times ever, but it fell apart. I bought a grinder, a scale and a 20# stuffer for that event and ended up not using them as much and sold them. Now I have a grinder again and plan on making sausage again,,, just wish I could get enough hunters to join and make a fun and productive annual event.
I can't supply any meat, but I can drink beer and supervise.


I'm in Allen and it would be fun to just hang out.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #47
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
I can't supply any meat, but I can drink beer and supervise.


I'm in Allen and it would be fun to just hang out.
If you're serious, you CAN supply meat and casings and help out. With the venison/duck/geese, we'll always need pork shoulders and casings and elbow grease
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #48
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
If you're serious, you CAN supply meat and casings and help out. With the venison/duck/geese, we'll always need pork shoulders and casings and elbow grease
Let me know when it goes down. I work 6 days a week, but would like to help out. I just can't make any promises.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #49
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young
 
Uncle Saggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I love mine for stuffing off the grinder ...if a casing breaks or runs out, I can stop it instantly. No reaching around the back to turn it off


So what’s the deal with reach arounds

Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com