Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who all tent camps or car camps at there lease??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who all tent camps or car camps at there lease??

This will be my second year on my lease, last year we either stayed in a house close by or a hotel once. I have 3 kids 6, 7 and 12. I have a nice pop up camper at my house but I'm leary about leaving it at my lease. Also I've looked at buying a camper specifically for the lease but can bring myself to spend the money.

Sooooo we are most likely going to tent camp. There is water and electricity which is nice. I'm really wanting to instill in my kids the ability to be comfortable while being uncomfortable and I think it will ad to the memories. A few things we will have to contend with will be rattlesnakes, wind and chiggers.

Please share your dos and donts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

several years ago, we did during turkey season for 2-3 seasons. enjoyed the heck out of it. too dang hot for me during bow season. spray the whole camp area, if you can, with demon max or Bifen XT to keep the bugs away.

Comment

Maybe build a platform 2' off ground for snakes and bugs and spray the area. Might help with keeping it cool as well

Comment

Back when we started hunting, we stayed in an army tent. That was many moons ago. Many memories made there. The hiss of a Coleman lantern, getting the top bunk ( it was warmer ), the smell of the canvas.
        Go for it.

Comment

why not use your pop up and take it home each time if you don't want to leave it?

Comment

How about rent to own shed as a cabin? Here is one Im sure many others have same type of rent to own and will deliver plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
              why not use your pop up and take it home each time if you don't want to leave it?
              This^^^
              Popups are small and tow easy. This is what i would do if given the option.

Comment

Pop up or platform if you must tent camp.

Comment

X2

X2

Comment

I haven't camped in a tent in a few years, but I did last weekend at the lease. I was by myself, and I didn't want to jack with driving 30 miles into town to the hotel. You don't have to worry about bugs and snakes if you use a tent that has a floor in it so it's all sealed up. Of course, you'll want to have a flashlight handy for any nighttime trips outside the tent to pee or whatever. Watch for snakes then. Only open the door when you need to enter or exit the tent, and then immediately zip it back up to keep all the critters and pests out of your tent. This time of year especially, you want lots of screened windows and/or ceiling for ventilation. It's hot for the first couple hours after dark.

I hung a $6 solar shower bag on our lighted game pole to shower with. We have a concrete slab under the game pole too, so it was a good shower spot. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mage...dCatid=3153502

Another $6 well spent.... I didn't use the plastic bags. Just parked it next to a bush. You can dig a hole and park it over that too, and then cover the hole with dirt when you leave. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mage...dCatid=3252014

I order these things from Amazon last night to use the next time I go to the lease. Pretty cool lighting solution. Battery powered LEDs with an on/off switch added to the chain.

I bought 2 strips of lights and 2 switches. I can run them both from the one battery pack and hang one inside the tent and one outside. Or I can run 1 light strip on another battery pack that I have and locate it somewhere else. I like the solar charged battery packs. I use one in the tent to charge my cell phone at night. I leave it on my dash in the truck during the day to recharge the battery pack.

We have water and lights as well, but I like to turn all our lights off at night. I prefer to sleep in the dark. I like to look at the stars. And I don't want the lights to attract bugs and lizards and such that might attract skunks and snakes or other critters during the night. I don't leave any food out anywhere either, for the same reason.

We have a rock fire pit at our camp site, but it's pretty dang dry lately so I didn't want to start a fire. I took my little gas cook stove to boil water on, and I took some Mountain House meals. Easy.

Tent camping adds a little work to the process, but so does jacking with a camper. I think I actually prefer a tent to a camper. To me, tents are less hassle than campers. A/C is nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                      How about rent to own shed as a cabin? Here is one Im sure many others have same type of rent to own and will deliver plans.

http://cookstuff.com/

I've got the money to buy one out right but I don't want to spend it..... I'm a little on the frugal side.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
                        X2

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                        This^^^

Popups are small and tow easy. This is what i would do if given the option.

Many reasons one of which is
                        All I have to tow the pop up with is a lifted Jeep Grand Cherokee it works great locally but would be a beating hauling it 3.5-4hours to my lease. I could buy a truck but see my previous post about being frugal[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Comment

Not since the early 70's.

Comment

When I first got on a lease out in the Hill Country, I brought a tent. Some of the previous members had a camper, the guys that stayed on camped in EZ up style 10x10 tents. There was a shed that one of the guys would sleep in... but it was a mice haven.

Before season started, I decided to spend $200 to build a deck for my tent. It is the hill country so it is rocky, and when it rained, it got muddy. I figured some day it would turn into shelter of some kind, like you might see on the Appalachian Trail (where I got my inspiration from pictures from folks who have hiked it)

I tent camped liked that for a season and it was nice to have a steady, smooth floor as a base. The next season, I spent basically turning it into a cabin... essentially a permanent tent.

During the season, I pretty much leave my cot there and some buckets with lids that have stuff like toilet paper, etc.

Because of my example, the other lease members also built decks for their tents. Most are 12x12.

If you check out my thread, you can see how I ended up being able to fit all 4 of use (wife, myself, and 2 young kiddos using bunkable cots.)

Before I bought those cots, the kids would sleep in a tent outside, or in the car if it was really cold. Now we all stay warm in the cabin.

Luckily snakes are usually not a problem (haven't been). I do have a tarantula that lives under the cabin that comes out at night and hangs out in a hollow stump just past the back deck. I don't pay him mind and try to remember not to pee on him when nature calls at 2am.

Oh and speaking of snakes... if you have a camper... snakes will come because mice will show up and hang out there. In my cabin I am religious about not having 'spaces' for mice to hide so that I don't have a mouse problem... and subsequently a snake problem.

Comment

I started out putting a canvas tarp down and a tent on top, with a blow up mattress.

Then upgraded to a 20 foot storage container, which is great in the winters. Need a fan in the summers. It was about $2gs delivered.

Wet wipes and some head lamps would be on my list of must haves.

Comment

Working...
                              X