Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Well Question

Well...kind of.

I have some experience with this but thought I might see what the green screen has to say.

We are building a house 350’ from my dads well that services his house. Plan is to tie into his water line between the well and his house and run 1.5” pvc to my house for water. I’m not sure of the elevation change exactly, but it’s uphill a bit. No more than 4’ I’d say over the total distance...if even that much.

We plan on putting a “well house” with a booster pump and bladder tank inline close to my house to make sure I have 30-50 psi at all times.

I’ve done this with much longer distances. Like a 1/2 mile or more, but not sure if it’s really needed in this situation. Anyone have any better experience with this?

Skinny

Bump

Skinny

Comment

I'm no expert but I don't think you will have any problem getting pressure even with the gain in elevation but the extra tank and booster pump would be good insurance for maintaining pressure during periods of high demand from both houses.

Comment

I’ve got a similar set up. Mine is about 300’ from the well. I set up a 350 gallon holding tank supplied by the well. After the holding tank I have my pump and bladder tank.

I was originally tied into the 1” line directly to the house. I had fairly good pressure but it would drop noticeably when the other home was using water as well.

Comment

My bet is that by running the larger line then reducing it at the house you will have plenty of water pressure without a booster. Just my thoughts, I would try it before I spent the money on a booster pump.

Comment

I would put a booster pump/presssure tank system in if I were you. As post #4 said you will notice it if more than one source is on.

You could probably go with a single phase booster pump and be okay.

Comment

Thanks for the input, fellas!

Skinny

Comment

I'd say go with a holding tank that had a float in it. Water goes down enough and valve opens to fill. Pressure tank and pump between holding tank and new house.

Comment

Originally posted by Skipshot View Post
                  My bet is that by running the larger line then reducing it at the house you will have plenty of water pressure without a booster. Just my thoughts, I would try it before I spent the money on a booster pump.
                  This. Mine is reduced twice before entering the house (2" to 1" and then 1" to 3/4") and the pressure is almost twice what it is in the larger supply line.

Comment

Good info on reducing line size! Thanks

Skinny

Comment

I'd try it without the booster pump and if the pressure is too low try setting the pressure switch on the well a little higher, then if the pressure is unacceptable then put in the booster.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                        This. Mine is reduced twice before entering the house (2" to 1" and then 1" to 3/4") and the pressure is almost twice what it is in the larger supply line.

What is the pressure in your 2” line? I’m assuming with a full line and no valves open, the line would be roughly 50 psi if that’s your high end cut off pressure. Not sure I want 80-100 psi in my 3/4” lines inside my house? Seems a bit much.

Skinny

Comment

I would suggest a holding tank (along with what you are planning). If both you and your dad happen to be washing clothes, and someone is taking a shower, . . . you could end up with only the flow that your well produces (mine is around 12 gpm), which may not be enough. With even a fairly small holding tank you can avoid those drops by relying on the tank capacity, and it gets refilled by the well's flow rate.
                          Could especially be an issue if one/both of you has a sprinkler system for your yard.

Comment

I would try it without the pump, we are about 300’ from our well using 3/4” PVC to the house and our pressure is fine. Before we demoed the other house, I could tell a difference when the in-laws were using a bunch of water but the pressure was still OK.

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post
                              I would try it without the pump, we are about 300’ from our well using 3/4” PVC to the house and our pressure is fine. Before we demoed the other house, I could tell a difference when the in-laws were using a bunch of water but the pressure was still OK.

Someone told us 3/4” supply line would work at that distance but we thought that wouldn’t be enough volume of water? On the other place, we used 1.5” pvc to run about 1/2 mile to a pump and pressure tank. That seemed to work really well.

Thanks for the reply.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X