To cull or not to cull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
    This is what we do alot of hunters are looking for an excuse to shoot something
    Not me because then I have to clean it..

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      It's not a brow or no brow battle to me, it's an age problem. No deer should be killed until 4.5 at the absolute youngest. I've seen too many deer that were crap at 2/3 be studs and 6/7. Can you tell if a 5 yr old boy is going to be a linebacker for the Texans? Nope it takes time and genetics. Deer are much the same way. You cannot get a deer's antler footprint at such a young age. And what does it hurt to wait and see? So he breeds one doe? You let him roll and if he's junk at 4/5 hammer him, but more will surprise you than not especially if they're under some type of supplemental feeding program.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
      We'd be in a world of hurt if we never killed a deer younger than 4.5. It would be a nightmare.

Comment

I've learned from my personal experiences but here is some info fur ya..

The hunting season has just ended for the majority of white-tailed deer hunters. Now, it's time to reflect, look back over the past season while it's all fresh in your mind. If you had the opportunity to spend many days in the field hunting, then you should have a good picture of the overall deer herd using the property you

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          I agree except no brows is a genetic trait not a nutritional problem, much like the 8 point genetic trait.
          It's a bad idea to give a buck with no brows the chance to continue spreading that trait. If he doesn't have brows at 2.5-3.5 odds are high he never will. I realize the does genes play a huge part to but!!!
          The Alto Bonito has a monster with 1 inch brows. Had no brows his first 3 years. Now he's a typical in the 70s. Wonder how many people would have shot this "cull"? If he has short or no brows but 13 inch 2s and 15 inch 3s who cares?? I dont get it, at least he got a chance. You'll never know if they dont get an opportunity to express their full potential. How about Shane Smith's 171 inch LF 8 point? He was a little punk at 4, but was allowed to roll and blew up because he showed promise and the possibility of having huge 2s and 3s. . And that deer ate zero protein. Guess he should have been shot. my point is you'll never know when they're dead, and for me personally it's worth the gamble. .

Comment

The Alto Bonito has a monster with 1 inch brows. Had no brows his first 3 years. Now he's a typical in the 70s. Wonder how many people would have shot this "cull"? If he has short or no brows but 13 inch 2s and 15 inch 3s who cares?? I dont get it, at least he got a chance. You'll never know if they dont get an opportunity to express their full potential. How about Shane Smith's 171 inch LF 8 point? He was a little punk at 4, but was allowed to roll and blew up because he showed promise and the possibility of having huge 2s and 3s. . And that deer ate zero protein. Guess he should have been shot. my point is you'll never know when they're dead, and for me personally it's worth the gamble. .

Camon now play fair. You know dang good and well that 13" 2's and 15" 3's aren't the norm.. He would absolutely get a pass..
            We are talking "normal" here..

Comment

I've learned from my personal experiences but here is some info fur ya..

https://www.buckmanager.com/2009/01/...row-tines/amp/
              http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/de...-culling-bucks

I can quote you quotes all day... here is some info for you too

Comment

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/de...-culling-bucks

I can quote you quotes all day... here is some info for you too

Hold on boys we have a monster in the making!!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1360][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually know of a 3 point yearling that grew to be 196" at 7.5...

Comment

Pretty young deer I'd say. I would give him another year before I popped him.

Comment

Hold on boys we have a monster in the making!!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1360][emoji6]

You know I sent you that picture with utmost privacy! Now my fenceline will be full of stands!

Comment

You know I sent you that picture with utmost privacy! Now my fenceline will be full of stands!

Dang I must be a democrat.. 😂😂👍🏼

Comment

Weak brows are common on our place on some but biggest one i have on camera has weak brows

Comment

Why Shoot Something With No history Or Age? If your Going to Cull Something Make Sure Your Not Culling a Deer that Could Be Your Trophy in a Few Years. Good luck what ever You Decide and best of Luck to Your Son

Comment

If I thought that deer was a 2 year old I would give him a pass with a frame like that. I'd kill him if I thought he was a 3 year old since we have so many 3 year olds better than that. And no, I'm not just looking for something to shoot. I've shot plenty and usually look for reasons NOT to shoot.

Comment

To cull or not to cull

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                                Why Shoot Something With No history Or Age? If your Going to Cull Something Make Sure Your Not Culling a Deer that Could Be Your Trophy in a Few Years. Good luck what ever You Decide and best of Luck to Your Son

I may let my son shoot that big 9 and just have it considered my trophy. He’s well old enough and not going to ever be better.
                                Last edited by cpr1979; 10-01-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X