Bear Proof Ground Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear Proof Ground Feeder

OK, for those of you romanticizing about black bears let me tell you that they are a real challenge if you are going to use feeders. While I don't hunt feeders I have attempted to use some over the last few years to get my kids on some deer. The last few attempts have resulted in a score of:
    -BEARS: 3
    -BOONER: 0

I'm trying a new tactic. Instead of hanging the feeder way up between two pine trees I'm going to go right at 'em and try to build a bear proof feeder.

I started with one side of an 8' steel telecommunications spool I got from Shake 'N Bake.

I cut it in half and welded 2" square tubing to the end of the one missing its base.

When you disassemble one of these spools there are braces between the two sides. I cut those down to size and used them to connect the two halves at the base.

The plan is to add more cross braces and mount the drum on top (securely).

Once that is done I'll be working on fabricating a sturdy cage to protect the thrower. Bought some 1" square tubing for that. The plan is to use 4-6 T-posts to anchor it before telling the bears to bring it on!

More to come.

Good luck!!!

Comment

Also, if anyone has advice on how to make this thing more resilient please jump in.

Comment

Wonder if you could hot wire it? Keep the bears and coons off of it

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
          Wonder if you could hot wire it? Keep the bears and coons off of it

Interesting idea! I'd have to run a solar panel to charge it. This will be sitting out in the middle of a clear cut. If they got to the panel it'd be over.

Comment

We have some blinds made of the 2x2 steel tubing used in road construction signs. They have holes every inch so you can bolt them together.

We laid 2, 10 ft pieces on the ground and used 3 ft rebar in four spots to hold them down as a base

Then we used 16 footers for up rights for the box blinds. That were 6 x 6 ft apart.

We then used a 4, 8 ft pieces to connect the ones on the ground to the up rights at 90° angels

By the time you bolt steps on and the rest of the base it's THERE!

Bolted it all together and nothing animal wise could turn it over. It's like a real tinker toy set.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
              Also, if anyone has advice on how to make this thing more resilient please jump in.
              Use that frame as your rebar, and pour concrete around it

Comment

Dealing with bears for years in FL has shown me that bears can and do wreck most feeders even when I thought they were good to go.

I really like your idea for a feeder mount but would be concerned with two things,
                1. the t posts holding it down, since the bears can get to it, they will learn to shake or push back it and forth making corn fall out.

2. The bigger bears may put holes in your drum allowing the corn to get wet.

Hanging your feeder from a tall 3" steel pipe anchored in concrete with a 90 degree arm at the top to hold the feeder with the winch in a steel box and cable running up inside the pipe is bear proof.

Good luck, hope I am wrong and it works well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                  These seem to work pretty good .
                  Cost is about the same as a good feeder too.

Comment

I hope that works it is amazing how strnot and determined a black bear can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
                      Dealing with bears for years in FL has shown me that bears can and do wreck most feeders even when I thought they were good to go.

I really like your idea for a feeder mount but would be concerned with two things,
                      1. the t posts holding it down, since the bears can get to it, they will learn to shake or push back it and forth making corn fall out.

2. The bigger bears may put holes in your drum allowing the corn to get wet.

Hanging your feeder from a tall 3" steel pipe anchored in concrete with a 90 degree arm at the top to hold the feeder with the winch in a steel box and cable running up inside the pipe is bear proof.

Good luck, hope I am wrong and it works well for you.

Thanks, Rick. Good info in there. I'll have this in the middle of a clearcut. Digging here is a no go unless you have a bulldozer. Otherwise your suspended feeder suggestion would be the way to go.

Comment

Bear Proof Feeder

We have 2 feeders suspended from tripods welded from 4" pipe. Flat plate up top, with an eye bolt holding a pulley, and a steel cable running to a winch on one leg. Barrel hangs about 8' off the ground.
                        Bear and hog proof, and would probably stand up to moo cows.
                        Be smarter than us though and use a small atv winch that will run off a small battery. Winching a 50gal drum full of corn 8' ain't no joke.

Comment

Originally posted by RebeccaCreekKid View Post
                          We have 2 feeders suspended from tripods welded from 4" pipe. Flat plate up top, with an eye bolt holding a pulley, and a steel cable running to a winch on one leg. Barrel hangs about 8' off the ground.

Bear and hog proof, and would probably stand up to moo cows.

Be smarter than us though and use a small atv winch that will run off a small battery. Winching a 50gal drum full of corn 8' ain't no joke.

Sounds beefy. You have a pic to share?

Comment

A friend of mine has a setup in Oklahoma that is on a single 4in pipe 12ft in the air on a winch that has passed the bear test. He greased the pipe when he leaves and has a big steal cage welded around the wench.

Comment

Bear Proof Feeder

[ATTACH]861392[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                              X