Frame lock folding knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame lock folding knife

Started on this frame lock folder last week. I've only made one other folder and it was just a liner lock. There is so much more room for error on these. It has taken a few months of design and getting all the geometry right. The frame is 440c with Damascus blade, pocket clip and floating backspacer.

Using a mill would have made this a lot easier especially on getting the holes perfectly straight but I haven't made that investment yet so all I used was a drill press.

I broke 4 taps in one hole and had to go back and re temper one of the side plates. I hate taps, I hate taps and I hate taps.

On my next one I definitely won't be using 1/4" I'll go down to 3/16 or 1/8 it was a pain to tap,grind all that metal during profiling.

I wanted a tank and I think I hit it on the head.

Here are the main parts roughed out and on the jig to drill all the main holes.
    Last edited by simsknives; 06-12-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

It's gona be f'n awesome!

Comment

Can't wait to see it finished!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
          Can't wait to see it finished!
          X2

Comment

Had to tweak the pocket clip a little bit to work with the over all design.

Comment

This is going to be sweet. Excited to see it finished

Comment

Comment

looking good!!

Comment

Pretty happy with how centered the blade is. Right now it only has washers in the pivot but it's still very smooth. I may upgrade it to bearings eventually when I get a mill.

Comment

Shot of the floating backspacer

Comment

I haven't decided what I'm going to do for final finish on the stainless. I may brush it or particle blast it, or rock tumble it, or possibly cerakote it.

Comment

Beautiful knife as always Conley.
                          I vote cerakote Any color would look **** good but a desert tan with the Damascus bladewould be pretty cool. Maybe black on the locking arm mechanism piece

Comment

Oh man that is sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                              Beautiful knife as always Conley.
                              I vote cerakote Any color would look **** good but a desert tan with the Damascus bladewould be pretty cool. Maybe black on the locking arm mechanism piece
                              I was thinking burnt bronze would look pretty cool

Comment

Working...
                              X