Synthetic Oil for Ford 7.3's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic Oil for Ford 7.3's

So I've kicked around the idea of switching from Rottel T 15/40 to a Synthetic in my 2002 F350.7.3 with 268,000 miles and counting. Not wanting to argue the plus and minus of Rottela T,I love it in my truck, just want to know from guys that have switched to Full synthetic in their 7.3 and what do you like or dislike about it. Thanks in Advance.

Originally posted by haztech3 View Post
    So I've kicked around the idea of switching from Rottel T 15/40 to a Synthetic in my 2002 F350.7.3 with 268,000 miles and counting. Not wanting to argue the plus and minus of Rottela T,I love it in my truck, just want to know from guys that have switched to Full synthetic in their 7.3 and what do you like or dislike about it. Thanks in Advance.
    Been running Rotella T6 in my '02 7.3 for several years. It's never too late to switch to full synthetic. I've got 280k miles on mine. No dislikes. I can't tell you if it's given better fuel economy, but I've heard it helps. You can definitely run longer duration between oil changes with synthetic.

Comment

it's oil.....

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
        it's oil.....

lol

One truck with 200 and the other 400k.... what oil you ask? The cheapest I could get on my hands... Delo from Walmart. 5k oil, 10k fuel filter.

Thought I recently got an Amsoil filter setup to extend my oil changes... the dealer that sold it to me changes his oil at 35k. All he changes out are those boogered filters on the bottom to take out the soot in the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've run Full synthetic in every Gasser I've ever owned and always loved it. So I know there's got to be some benefits to running it in a Diesel. One been told by several folks to wait at least till it's well broken before during though. Never had an issue with cold starts in my truck but as the miles progress just can't help but think that a slicker synthetic might do it some good. Don't think you can quiet these 7.3's down to much so that's not an issue either. Actually wanting to sell the truck but in the mean time stretching the oil change it some would be nice. I only run the Dino oil 3500/4000 miles max. Did have it sent off once and they suggested 4500.... But clean good oil is Life for the injectors and that's cheap insurance changing it sooner.

Comment

I don’t see a need to make the switch on a high mileage truck that you’re planning to sell. You could easily go 5k on conventional oil.

Not sure if there’s truth to it, but I have heard switching to synthetic after a long life on conventional can cause leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
              I don’t see a need to make the switch on a high mileage truck that you’re planning to sell. You could easily go 5k on conventional oil.

Not sure if there’s truth to it, but I have heard switching to synthetic after a long life on conventional can cause leaks.

Negative - you can switch back and forth no problem.

Comment

Personally once I start an engine on an oil I don’t change it up. Just the way I was taught.

Comment

Working...
                X