Anyone ever made a foam kayak???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stick and strin View Post
    check southern paddler ,jems watercraft, and tkf they all have excellent build threads
    Ive built 15 yaks and my advice is to build out of wood, sure will be a lot tougher.
    ron
    I remember the days when we were all posting build threads one after another on TKF Looks like most of mine, even the ones on here, suffered from the photobucket policy change and now mine pics are not visible. Otherwise, I'd be sharing some links.
    Had two successful foam builds and I'd say they were plenty strong. Never did a solid dugout style like that youtube though but I thought about trying that on several occasions.

Comment

Anyone try an inflatable kayak? There are plenty in the $100-200 range that have good reviews. Seems to good to be true though.

Comment

You need a used Jon boat.

On a related note the last time Travis was real low we snagged a huge block of stray styrofoam and got after it wit the sawzall. Stuck some lawn chairs on it and cut out a spot for a cooler. We stashed it in the woods by a local pond. Someone chunked it but it was amusing. Cutting that thing up was a mess.

Comment

A John boat quickly becomes heavy and cumbersome. I am looking for something light and maneuverable to make small water access a real viability. Key word there is small water..... I want to have only a few inches of draw depth, light enough to easily manhandle, and stable/ versatile enough for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would think you're better off keeping an eye out for a dang good deal on a yak that you're looking for. I missed a deal on a nu canoe pursuit 2 weeks ago for 800 and it was decked out for fishing. Selling all the accessories could of brought my cost under 600 at least.

There's deals to be had if you're patient. Winter time is usually when guys start offloading their yaks to get money for Christmas gifts.

I don't think you'll be able to build anything that will completely fit your needs without getting close to the cost of a used yak for a good deal.

I currently have a Diablo Amigo on order and it's more stable than the nu canoe frontier and is also a tad bit cheaper. Completely flat and wide open floor plan.

Other option would be to check out a fiberglass pirogue. I have one that I would sell cheap if you wanted a project. Probably just needs to be sanded and a coat or two of resin and good to go.

Comment

Look for one of these used. I have one and they are very stable.

Comment

I kicked around this idea for several years. I finally just bit the bullet and bought a used nucanoe pursuit for $1k. Hurt to spend the money but now I have it to use whenever I want.

Comment

Working...
                X