Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore
Default Pay pal question

I am selling my side by side and got a text from an interested party. Seemed legit, as in, it wasnt hey i need to email you or hey im at an army base etc. now they asked if i have a pay pal account to receive payment. Im not real familiar with pay pal. Is this a “normal” means of making a transaction of this nature? I think i have a pay pal from years ago when i bought things on ebay but i have to check. Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Just communicate with the buyer and tell him the funds have to clear your account before you can come pick up the side by side. Easy peasy PayPal is good be sure and tell him to make it as a gift or cover the percentages.
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
bonehunts
Four Point

I use PayPal ALL the time to transact business. I use it especially on longer distance transactions so a seller can get their money ASAP and have it verified in their bank account so they can trust I'm legit.
That said, there's always some kind of scammer out there making it harder to trust people.
bonehunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
hoythitman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Just a dove spot unfortunately

PayPal now does instant transfers if you have an ATM card. It cost $.25 to transfer the money instantly. Once the money is in your account ship it out. Just don’t ship before you have money in your account

hoythitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Do you have a Chase bank account ? Buyer can send you funds via Zelle as it’s very simple.

I have a PP account yet prefer quick pay via Zelle
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
jbw899
Four Point

Hunt In: MO, TX, anywhere

I use PayPal all the time to buy and sell stuff online. Most of my transactions are in the $100s, not $1000s though.
jbw899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

PayPal is fine but do not allow them to do as a gift. That will not be covered for fraud, etc.
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

For sure a normal way to make a transaction. Just get the money before you give him the keys. Also, if you do the Friends/Family gift thing, you have no recourse with PayPal if something goes squirrely. You can always tell him what you want to net and ask him to pay the PayPal fees since he's the one that wants to use it.
meltingfeather is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

I had the same thing 2 weeks ago, it was scammers.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

I wouldn't do it for something that large. Using the gift option, you have no recourse. Using the other option where it charges fees, the buyer can say it was significantly not as described and can file a dispute. I shipped a $500 camera lens to Florida one time, they had it for a week, said it came broken, filed a dispute, I had to refund plus shipping back and got back a broken lens... won't use it again as a seller.
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Sounds like a scam to me!!! Be careful.

Skinny
Skinny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Lsube0555
Four Point

If he's wanting to PayPal you site unseen it's a scam especially if he wants it shipped, only way I'd somewhat trust that is thru eBay and PayPal type of deal, if you listed it on Craigslist or something like that and he saw it then its a scam. Otherwise take the risk run it thru goods and services send him a invoice thru PayPal then after you get the money let it clear then pull it from your account to your bank
Lsube0555 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 04:13 AM   #13
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Using the gift option, the OP as the seller will hold all the cards. The BUYER would have no recourse. If you use PayPal and they won’t send it Friends and Family then make sure to account for the fees PayPal is going to charge.

I’m curious what fraud the OP could see as the seller using friends and family payment in this scenario? If I was him, I think I would want it as Friends and Family so the buyer couldn’t claim damage on me and file a dispute.

But, a cashiers check would be preferable! Lol

Last edited by 12RingKing; 07-21-2018 at 04:19 AM.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #14
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Sounds like a scam to me!!! Be careful.

Skinny
I can't tell from your avatar picture, but...is your tongue in your cheek there?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #15
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
Using the gift option, the OP as the seller will hold all the cards. The BUYER would have no recourse. If you use PayPal and they won’t send it Friends and Family then make sure to account for the fees PayPal is going to charge.

I’m curious what fraud the OP could see as the seller using friends and family payment in this scenario? If I was him, I think I would want it as Friends and Family so the buyer couldn’t claim damage on me and file a dispute.

But, a cashiers check would be preferable! Lol
Even cashier's checks can be fraudulent these days. These low life thieves think of all kinds of ways to scam people these days. Seller beware.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #16
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Google pay pal scam.....
Tell them to bring cash dollars
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #17
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Scams on Craigslist and Other Classifieds Websites

Although most online transactions are safe, you should use caution when selling items on websites such as Craigslist. Unfortunately, some people using these websites make promises regarding payments through PayPal but do not follow through with the payment. Look for common warning signs that someone may be trying to scam you:
The buyer can’t meet in person because of a number of reasons (i.e., they are a soldier in Iraq, they are a marine biologist, etc.).
The buyer requested you send the item to their “shipping agent.”
The buyer offered you more money than you were asking.
The buyer asked you to send money through Western Union or MoneyGram to the “shipping agent.”
The buyer only sends you text messages and won’t speak to you on the phone.
If you received an email seemingly from PayPal that states you received money, look for these signs to see if the email is a fake:
The email does not address you by your first and last name
The email says the money is on “hold” until you complete an action (i.e. send money through Western Union, or click a link to submit a tracking number).
You can easily see if you received money by logging in to your PayPal account(do not click any links within the email). If you’ve been paid you’ll see the payment in your account.
If any of the above happens to you, end communication with the potential buyer. Always remember that craigslist and other similar sites are intended for local pick up. To learn more about how you are protected as a seller, visit the Security Center.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #18
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Run Forest Run!
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #19
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. They will likely tell you to click what appears to be a PayPal link which is really a phishing website. Once you put in your info, they have instant access to your account.
These scammers are getting smart. I know someone who was selling a motorcycle and a "serious buyer" sent a link to a Vin check page. They used it and the "buyer" stopped replying and their credit card got hacked twice within a month because of it.

I sell on craigslist a lot. I get one of these emails or texts about 10 times for every item I list. Cold hard cash or no deal for me - not worth the risk.
KyleW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #20
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
now they asked if i have a pay pal account to receive payment. Im not real familiar with pay pal. Is this a “normal” means of making a transaction of this nature?
100% scam. They have to come pick up the side by side and can pay then so there's no reason to use paypal.
Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #21
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

Thanks everyone. It seemed fishy but that was a new one on me. Most the time its the email me or im at a army base about to go serve. Mysteriously disappeared when i told him i was not comfortable with anything other than cash or other verifiable means to complete the transaction

ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top