Withdrawals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Withdrawals

Nursing a broken finger and not shooting my Widow is depressing.
    Yes I am shooting my compound and keeping my back muscles up to snuff. It's okay I guess. Accurate and predictable. Yet it lacks something. Something I wouldn't have missed 15 months ago. Before a hunt at Big Oak where Buff and CRM95 helped me see I could make the transition to traditional.
    Sort of like when I switched from Bud to Bud Light.

Still good. Still shooting a bow. But less . . . Something.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Yep, you are hooked for good now!!! It’s hard to explain to folks who don’t shoot trad bows how much this gets stuck into your blood!

Hope your finger heals up quickly Gary!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Nursing a broken finger and not shooting my Widow is depressing.
      Yes I am shooting my compound and keeping my back muscles up to snuff. It's okay I guess. Accurate and predictable. Yet it lacks something. Something I wouldn't have missed 15 months ago. Before a hunt at Big Oak where Buff and CRM95 helped me see I could make the transition to traditional.
      Sort of like when I switched from Bud to Bud Light.

Still good. Still shooting a bow. But less . . . Something.

I can see that, but you went bassackwards on the Bud.

Comment

Haven’t looked at my compound since I switched. No interest.

Comment

Haven't owned one since the 70's and for the last three seasons my rifles stay at home in the safe. Don't miss either!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Yep, you are hooked for good now!!! It’s hard to explain to folks who don’t shoot trad bows how much this gets stuck into your blood!

Hope your finger heals up quickly Gary!

Bisch

Unfortunately was stupid. When I fractured it in September I should have stopped and let it heal. But hunting season was up in us and I was able to handle the discomfort. Later though I broke it completely. Hearing bone grind when you wash your hair forces you to make a decision. Now I'm in a situation where it just healing may not occur. But it is less swollen and hopefully in another 6 weeks or so. That's when the doc wants a re exam.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
              Haven’t looked at my compound since I switched. No interest.
              I suppose the high and mighty approach is fine but I like shooting a bow. I shot a compound since '89. I shot it year round and hunted as much as I could. It's therapeutic for me. Long stressful day at work and in a few arrows it went away.

I would prefer to shoot my trad bows. That said I can't shoot them with three fingers right now. I tried with two but I'm not consistent enough to hunt. Wounding animals because of my ego isn't worth it.

I've only shot a handful of deer with a rifle this century. Most of them because I had both shoulders reconstructed and couldn't draw a bow at the time.

I will be back to trad when I can draw a bow and shoot consistently.

Until then I will shoot and hopefully kill stuff with training wheels. Plus I've got arrows to put together for a longbow.

I guess I have to hope those dead animals aren't too insulted over being shot with a compound.

Comment

Get well Gary
                No shame in shooting and hunting with your compound while healing up

Comment

High and mighty
                  Last edited by boh347; 01-10-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                    High and mighty
                    Well I had that drive not to switch back. I wanted to let my ego drive it. That's me. FoS. But when I had to reset the finger in the shower I decided to get over it and just finish the season.

Better than a cross bow. [emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Well I had that drive not to switch back. I wanted to let my ego drive it. That's me. FoS. But when I had to reset the finger in the shower I decided to get over it and just finish the season.

Better than a cross bow. [emoji2]

I'm in the same boat Gary,
                      well, sort of...

I'm dealing with lower back issues. The pain radiates both up to my shoulders and down into my thighs. Surgery is looking more likely now than ever before. I can shoot the recurve just fine, but i sure as heck feel it later in the day. And i have a ram hunt scheduled for April that i was going to attempt it with my recurve. At this point, I'm just hoping i get to go.

Hope your hand heals up soon and get back to flinging sharp stick at critters.

Comment

Well today I dusted the Widow off and shot a few. To say it felt good was an understatement. Doc said take it easy for at least two more weeks so I will follow his instructions.

I've got regular daytime pigs hitting the feeder. Soon I will test it out.

Comment

Good luck on the pigs Gary!

It’s been so long since I have seen a pig, I’m not 100% sure I will recognize one!!!

I got to find me a good pig place!

Bisch

Comment

Glad to read you are shooting. I had a 3rd back surgery last June and have not shot, trad or compound, since February 2017. I have a 45# TradTech in route because I am going back to trad full time (went to compounds after back surgery #2 in 2007). I think finding a pig hunt might be a good way to shake the dust off when I am shooting good enough.

Comment

I would think a few trad guys could find a place to gather and kill some pigs.

Right now I have only one group visiting my feeder. All sow with piglets. With our numbers way down I'm hunting boar only for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X