Home alarm without monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home alarm without monitoring

Who has an alarm but doesn't pay for the monthly monitoring? I hate getting into contracts on crap like these but my wife wants an alarm mostly for when I am gone. I want to look at wireless systems that I can install myself. Something that will text me or notify me through an app if something sets it off and something to make noise to wake her/alert neighbors or scare someone off.

I just don't see the monitoring being very effective. By the time they call you to see if its a real emergency then call the cops any thief will likely be gone before the cops show up.
    Last edited by AgHntr10; 09-28-2018, 11:49 AM.

Been in my home 8 years and never monitored it. I'm of the opinion that if someone breaks in while I'm gone they are gonna smash and grab when the alarm sounds, they will be gone before LEO shows up. If they break in while I'm home and that alarm goes off the fight will be over long before the authorities get there.

Comment

Check out Smith-Thompson. Wireless, good rates.

Comment

I’m a firm believer that a very loud siren and informed neighbors are better than any monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
          I’m a firm believer that a very loud siren and informed neighbors are better than any monitor.

That's my thinking. I live on a dead end street and have retired family on both sides. Odds are I'm going to get a phone call if someone is in my driveway that doesn't belong. I am just trying to make my wife feel more comfortable. I don't think we need a monitoring system, a siren and a few motion/glass break sensors should do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
            That's my thinking. I live on a dead end street and have retired family on both sides. Odds are I'm going to get a phone call if someone is in my driveway that doesn't belong. I am just trying to make my wife feel more comfortable. I don't think we need a monitoring system, a siren and a few motion/glass break sensors should do the trick.

They have good wireless systems now. Just get wireless contacts for all doors and a couple motions in the house.

Comment

I was always of the mindset that I didn’t think an alarm may not help, and honestly it may not but I will say.. the piece of mind my wife gets when I’m not home is worth the contract. It isn’t that much to pay and is just another tool to hopefully thwart off intruders.

Mine is all wireless and has sensors on all doors and windows. Plus a few motion detectors

Comment

Ring has a pretty good system out now, been looking into it since we have the doorbell and the spotlight cameras. Since we pay for the protect plus plan it wouldnt cost anything extra a month to add this setup and be monitored.

Comment

Alarm

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

This is what I have also. I have been doing research on installing some cameras and I can tell you that it comes down to two different wireless systems for me. Arlo and Blink, both good units but Arlo may be a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                    I was always of the mindset that I didn’t think an alarm may not help, and honestly it may not but I will say.. the piece of mind my wife gets when I’m not home is worth the contract. It isn’t that much to pay and is just another tool to hopefully thwart off intruders.

Mine is all wireless and has sensors on all doors and windows. Plus a few motion detectors
                    I get it and I may spend more money by buying the equipment and not having it monitored. I just hate dealing with contracts that you constantly have to go back and fight or they slowly creep them up on you like cable/internet.

Comment

SimplySafe. It is easy to install yourself and it can be monitored for 15 a month with no contract.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                        I get it and I may spend more money by buying the equipment and not having it monitored. I just hate dealing with contracts that you constantly have to go back and fight or they slowly creep them up on you like cable/internet.
                        Yeah understood and I guess I shouldn’t have said the contract is worth it... having a system is worth it versus not. I see no reason the non-contract system wouldn’t do just fine.

Comment

We do! it used to be hooked to a cellular phone service since we don't have phone or internet at home (yeah you read that right). So its just a fancy alarm system with cameras recording

Comment

There are plenty of wireless systems on the market you can buy and not have monitored. Self installation is pretty easy as well.

No question an alarm will give some piece of mind to a wife staying home alone; especially overnight. Night mode on most alarms will sound the alarm siren immediately following a tripped sensor.

Not to mention, you will get notification anytime your alarm is set, disarmed or tripped.

We have an alarm and the monitoring service is through Xfinity and is bundled in with our internet and cable. It's literally $20/month.

Oh and if your alarm ever trips, be careful to not go full out Rambo as it could just be a sensor that fell out of place.

Comment

Look into GEOARM for the monitoring. $15 a month and no contract. They are also very helpful with any questions you have and support DIYers.

Comment

Working...
                              X