Tent Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tent Recommendations

Looking to buy one to accommodate 4 comfortably. Been looking at ones rated for 6, but not sure which brands to look at and ones to stay away from. I have a Coleman 4 person now, and it's done well for what it's been used for, but I'd like to look at one a bit more substantial in material and design. Not necessarily wanting a true dome either, unless it gets tall enough.

In for suggestions. I started looking at the Ozark trail line at Walmart.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Eureka Jade Canyon 6 person tent. It is awesome. I really like the almost vertical walls. Gives you a lot more room to stand and move around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7089.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	24513315

Comment

You need at least 2 person tent per every real person with gear. For 4 I wouldn't buy less than a 8 person tent.

Comment

I am partial to canvas tents but then again, I am old school. You may want to look into Kodiak Canvas tents. They cost a bit more but are well worth it.

BrianL gives good advice. If you want to accommodate 4 people, go with an 8 man tent.

Comment

Kodiak Canvas 10x14

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              You need at least 2 person tent per every real person with gear. For 4 I wouldn't buy less than a 8 person tent.
              ^this.

I have a "6-person" tent that barely has enough room for 2 cots and a little extra room to get to the door. It's perfect for 1 person with 1 cot.

Comment

What type of tent are you looking for?

Is it basic camping at a lease in Texas or something for mountains of Colorado?

Comment

For the $ this tent offers a lot. There are way better tents if you want to be in the $400-800 range.

Comment

When I went to Alaska our outfitter.had Eureka tents. Whats a cot??

Comment

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...8.uts?slotId=2

Try this one. The reviews are great and has a lifetime warranty. I don't know how you can beat it.

Comment

My wife and I use a Cabela's Guide Model Dome tent. For the 2 of us, we find the 6-person model to be adequate. For 4 people I would go with the 8-person. We have used ours in driving rain storms and 40-50 mph winds with no complaints. It is a 4-season tent so can be used year round. We have the fiberglass poles but for a bit of weight saving and a little stronger pole you can choose the aluminum poles. This is a relatively heavy tent (but still lighter than canvas) so not suitable if you're going to have to carry it very far.

Comment

The sky is the limit on how much you want to spend lol. If your are just talking about weekend outing with the family and not making it through very adverse weather Alps Mountaineering, Cabela's, and Browning make some pretty decent stuff. They tend to have a little better water proof walls and floor and tougher materials than eureka or kelty. The eureka jade canyon that throwin'darts posted wouldn't be to bad but do you see the fly over the top of it? It will be drafty and not as rain proof as you think. I like flys that come much further down the wall myself. Read up on the "D" "T" ratings and the "mm" coatings and on materials. If you want something larger to get through some more adverse weather and last awhile canvas is a good idea. Like Shane and Brianl said think a little bigger. I have a 3 man and it is snug with 2 people. A 4 person tent would be ok with 2 guys and a pack apiece so think 8 man tent if you are wanting one roomy for 4. I just recently got the Browning Glacier 4 person and looking to fit 2 people on cots inside it. Probably have enough roof to stuff a bag under the cot and walk in and out. Lodge tents are pretty roomy and can be found for a decent price but they have a lot of rope ties to tie them down with. I have noticed some pretty decent sales on the Cabela's website from time to time. Steepandcheap.com is normally a pretty good place to look for camping stuff.
                          Last edited by DuramaxDude; 09-28-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Comment

My Coleman weather master 8 man is the best I've used over the years.

Comment

Working...
                              X