Texas Law Shield/ US Law Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Law Shield/ US Law Shield

I was wondering if anyone is a member and to know if anyone has had to use it? I took a CHL class and they had a rep there trying to get everyone to sign up. A friend of mine thought it was a scam.

Is this the outfit that teaches you how to protect yourself from lawsuits?

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
      Is this the outfit that teaches you how to protect yourself from lawsuits?
      Yes and they will provide you with a lawyer.

Comment

They have some good info, but it's pretty annoying how they want you to huddle up and watch their presentation. When he found out I don't have wifi, he quit bothering me

Comment

I have it, and I would encourage anybody carrying a handgun to get this or any other insurance. IF, and that's a big IF, you ever get into any issue with your handgun - you had better either have this kind of insurance or a whole lot of money. I have some money, but I surely don't want to use it for lawyers or a long court appearance. You will need help even if you did something like shooting a dog that attacks you, you have to pull your gun for whatever reason, etc...

I have it and wouldn't let it lapse.
          Last edited by BowDude; 12-09-2015, 09:39 AM. Reason: misspell

Comment

Originally posted by BowDude View Post
            I have it, and I would encourage anybody carrying a handgun to get this or any other insurance. IF, and that's a big IF, you ever get into any issue with your handgun - you had better either have this kind of insurance or a whole lot of money. I have some money, but I surely don't want to use it for lawyers or a long court appearance. You will need help even if you did something like shooting a dog that attacks you, you have to pull your gun for whatever reason, etc...

I have it and wouldn't let it lapse.
            Have you ever spoken with any of the attorneys? What was your impression of them if you have?

Comment

Worthwhile read before deciding to sign up

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
                Have you ever spoken with any of the attorneys? What was your impression of them if you have?
                Actually, yes I have. I am also a CHL instructor and meet with them 4-5 times a year. They are very knowledgeable on handgun law. I had left them for a short term to try the USCCA group. I didn't like the fact that I had to get my own attorney here in Houston to represent me. They have a blanket insurance that will pay for all, but after the fact. I like that with Texas Lawshield I call an actual lawyer on phone - 24/7.

Comment

I have them as well, thankfully I have not had to use them. However, I work for a large law firm, most of the attorneys that I work with that carry use them and they recommended using them. Several of my attorneys have spoken with TLS attorneys and said they sound like a very solid investment for less than $150 a year.

Comment

Friend of mine has a CL (will get mine soon) and has it. Basically, if you can afford to go bankrupt to prove your innocence then you don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post

http://www.thetrace.org/2015/08/texa...ction-lawsuit/
                      Interesting read. The Zimmerman case is an interesting example. Texas Law Shield likes to make it sound like they are your best friend and have your back in all occasions, but it seems as if that would not be the case.

Comment

The article is only giving partial truths. You are protected and will not be convicted. But it could cost you $10,000 to get to that point. These cases don't happen in 2 days. These things take years, lots of discovery, depositions, etc... if you go at that without an attorney you will likely slip up somewhere. So that leaves you paying several thousand dollars minimum to defend yourself for a year to three years. They can bring a civil law suit and break you financially regardless of weather you were not criminally charged or convicted.

The article is more of trashing them for the way they get people to sign up. They came to my class and said this lady is hear to talk to you about this, if you do not want to listen step outside for a quick break. We shall see how the Barratry claim plays out but that has nothing to do with their services. They don't claim to protect you from negligent discharges or anything like that, just protect you if you draw your weapon to protect yourself, fire it or not.

Comment

I'm a member and really appreciate the updates and informative emails I get from them periodically. Hope to never have to use their services but none of us ever wants to have to use our "insurance". Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Comment

Thank you, very informative....

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                              The article is only giving partial truths. You are protected and will not be convicted. But it could cost you $10,000 to get to that point. These cases don't happen in 2 days. These things take years, lots of discovery, depositions, etc... if you go at that without an attorney you will likely slip up somewhere. So that leaves you paying several thousand dollars minimum to defend yourself for a year to three years. They can bring a civil law suit and break you financially regardless of weather you were not criminally charged or convicted.

The article is more of trashing them for the way they get people to sign up. They came to my class and said this lady is hear to talk to you about this, if you do not want to listen step outside for a quick break. We shall see how the Barratry claim plays out but that has nothing to do with their services. They don't claim to protect you from negligent discharges or anything like that, just protect you if you draw your weapon to protect yourself, fire it or not.

The point I took from it is that there is an opportunity for TLS to determine if the specific case is covered. Not that it has happened, but there is a possibility for it to happen where TLS could use any ambiguity in the contract language to deny a claim for service. What a horrible mess to find yourself in not only defending against a use of deadly force charge but also a dispute over contract language over whether TLS should foot the bill.

The other point I wasn't aware of is the fine line that exists now that self defense is protected from civil court. So if you legally used your firearm in self defense, you get a no-Bill and cannot be sued and don't need TLS. If in examining your case TLS determines that you did not legally use deadly force(or if you are found guilty?) then that isn't covered.

I didn't post that to jam up TLS, but there are apparently some contract language intricacies that folks need to be very clear about before signing up and assuming they are covered for what they think they are. That's all

Comment

Working...
                              X