Am I wrong in thinking this way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I wrong in thinking this way...

My daughter Kaitlynn just finished the 6th grade and the last semester she had a 88.8 for an 89 in her Social Studies class. The reason for the "B" is that she was missing her final score for the semester resulting in a "zero" being included in her average. Her other scores for the class are100,93,100,100,101,100,100,100,95,92,90 and 108 (with a 93 quiz,91 quiz,82 daily assignment that were not averaged for one reason or the other). I emailed the teacher asking her about the test and she said that it was an open book 30 question quiz and that she gave the students 2 days to work on it and that Kaitlynn did not turn it in. I asked Kaitlynn about the assignment and was actulally very upset at her to the point that I made her cry, all the while she was adamant about "Dad, I turned it in, I turned it in" but the teacher had no record of it. I have had several conversations with Kaitlynn about being responsible for her own actions and she is still adamant about turning in the assignment. I then started to question why would a student who turned in every assignment all year long not turn in the last one. I even asked the teacher and principal if they thought a student with the above grades, one who has been commended on every TAKS score and has scored perfect on several others, as well as "A pleasure to have in class and "Has a great attitude" if they though that was a "B" student and neither one of them has answered the question.

The biggest issue that I have with the whole scenario is that If the teacher gave the students 2 days and Kaitlynn did not turn it in then "what did she do for 2 days" and why wasn't the teacher more observant to what was going on in the class and if Kaitlynn was not working on the assignment why didn't the teacher take action to see that Kaitlynn did the assignment. Sounds like the teacher had a case of the "end of year blues". I also sent the principal an email just to let her know that adults do make mistakes because when I opened the envelope with the report card and TAKS score report I received another students' confidential TAKS report. Kaitlynn said that she is willing to accept the "B" but I on the other hand am not.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

>E

NO.

Your kids (especially when they are being a good kid, being responsible and acting maturely) need to know that their Dad has their back.

stand by for someone to argue with me

Comment

nothing wrong with a "B", but I see your point.

Comment

Keep fighting it. A high "B" Is a good grade but she earned better than that. I also wonder why with grades like that, and the good comments from the teacher were you not called after the teacher noticed the test was missing?

Comment

Let it ride, brutha. Ultimately, your daughter is responsible for turning in the assignment. Moving forward, she will know to CONFIRM its receipt. This is a grand learning experience -- at minimal cost to your daughter. The more you agonize, the more mixed signals you send.

(signed,) Docter Phil

Comment

No you are not wrong for thinking this way Kelly! It does not make any logical sense that Kaitlynn would do her work all year (and do it well) and not do an open book final test during class hours. I agree that given her previous history in the class she would not have just sat and down nothing for two straight days. My only concern would be that based on her grades in the class up to the final that she would be willing to accept a "B" even though it appears she earned and deserved an "A" in a class; she should want that "A"!

Comment

go for it teachers screw stuff up all the time and unless they sleep with a student no cares what they do. teachers need to be held accountable for their mistakes and if you have a student how has an a average not turn something in then the teacher should take that as a clue that maybe they lost something.

Comment

I experienced a similar thing with my daughter a couple years ago. I am absolutely convinced to this day that she turned in the assignment in question, but when it was all said and done, it didn't make a difference and her grade stood. Teachers are not infallible and they have a lot to keep up with and their days are chaotic. Stuff happens. Nine times out of ten the students are probably the ones that are mistaken. But every once in a while, the teacher is bound to mess up too. They're only human. I don't have an answer, but I understand your frustration.

Comment

I am certain she turned it in. My daughters 10th grade math teacher was forever giving her bad grades for not turning in assignments. I questioned my daughter and she said she turned them in. With a lot of prodding the teacher would always find the paper and correct the grade, but that was after bad progress reports, etc. This probably happened 6 times in one year.

Comment

It's just like arguing a judgement call with an umpire....a no win for you....even if she [the teacher ]lost it she ain't going to back up....and you may make it difficult for the student in the future ...teachers don't forget those that cause them grief...

Comment

my question given her past performance and "good" quote material is ....

did the teacher ask her prior to giving her a zero why she did NOT do the work? Unless they turned in work and it was not graded till school was out for the summer?

Comment

If it's that important to you, don't send emails, go to the school and meet with them. It's doubtful the principal will override the teacher so I'd start with the teacher.

Comment

My sons teacher did the same thing to him and after a little Parental investigation and a talk with the Principal the grade was changed.The teachers for the most part are human too and make mistakes.She said she might Have "Misplaced" it in the end.I would keep looking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by VorTexan View Post
                            my question given her past performance and "good" quote material is ....

did the teacher ask her prior to giving her a zero why she did NOT do the work? Unless they turned in work and it was not graded till school was out for the summer?
                            That is my main concern. If she gave them 2 days to work on it. If she did notice that Kaitlynn was "workin" why didn't she ask her where the assignment was when she noticed that she didn't have a grade for it and if Kaitlynn wasn't "working" why didn't the teacher say something to her for 2 days. Doesn't make sense to me. Either way I get the impression that the teacher was not doing her job and supervising the children that were supposed to be under her direct supervision.

Assignment was due on May 22. Grades had to be submitted by May 28 and school was out on June 3 same day as the postmark on the envelope.

>E

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                              If it's that important to you, don't send emails, go to the school and meet with them. It's doubtful the principal will override the teacher so I'd start with the teacher.
                              Teacher is gone for the summer and the principal is on her side. Looks like the Superintendent is next in line. I'm not giving up either way.

>E

Comment

Working...
                              X