No announcement yet.

The metric system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the problem with people that use the metric system is....

you give them an inch, they take 160,934 centimeters.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      the problem with people that use the metric system is....

you give them an inch, they take 160,934 centimeters.
      funny

Comment

When I sight in my gun and bow it's NOT in meters. Its yards. Talk about bein off. Don't like to have tools in american and metric. Makes tool box real heavy. Gettin to old to be carrying one tool box with all that in it. Gonna have to have two. Extra work, who needs it.

Comment

The rest of the World is just wrong!

'murica

Comment

I hate getting equipment dimensional drawings that have CM(in) dimensions on them. Big difference in 42.654 cm and 42.654 inches

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
              I still remember sitting in 3rd grade math class in 1977 and the teacher was trying to teach us the metric system and all the conversions. She said "In two years, the whole world will be using nothing but the metric system". 40+ years later we still havent changed.............
              3rd grade? 1977? Durn I'm old.
              Originally posted by Draco View Post
              Machine work world wide is done in thousandth of an.....................inch. Nothing in the metric system is as good for that fine of work as inches.
              There is nothing worse than getting a part drawing in metric. After all the conversion, you get a bunch of numbers that don't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                When I sight in my gun and bow it's NOT in meters. Its yards. Talk about bein off. Don't like to have tools in american and metric. Makes tool box real heavy. Gettin to old to be carrying one tool box with all that in it. Gonna have to have two. Extra work, who needs it.

A good pair of channellocks, a hammer, and some creative profanity go a long way towards bridging the gap to metric...and keeping the weight of your toolbox manageable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                  Awesome.
                  Now you can have a litercola anytime you want to.

littering and littering and HA HA

BTW the second one is not great . barley laughed . still love the first one

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                    A good pair of channellocks, a hammer, and some creative profanity go a long way towards bridging the gap to metric...and keeping the weight of your toolbox manageable

Don’t forget ol Mr crescent

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                      Even American made cars are metric. In our cabinet and millwork shop a lot of mistakes come from adding subtracting and dividing 1/16th's, 32nds, 64th's, mixing paint and finish by the oz. is twice as much work. Even drug dealers use the metric system! I actually believe it's part of the reason American kids are often a little behind in math and science is they get caught up in doing things the hard way number-wise. If you're not already convinced, drive in Kilometers, you can be in triple digits and not be getting arrested. Imagine only needing one set of tools and every hardware store having the size you need.
                      I can and they are not metric.
                      Just like this is a pound sign.#

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there anyone that actually thinks the standard system is easier?

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                          Is there anyone that actually thinks the standard system is easier?
                          So here is the funny thing. Conversions are easier on the metric system when going up and down the scale on sizes/volumes, etc. I'll give you that.

But at the end of the day, the natural world doesn't actually work on even boundaries of measure that makes one all that more easier than another when doing calculations in your head...

And once you've learned conversions... then yeah... the standard system is going to be easier just because you've learned it.

Spanish may be an easy language... but I learned English already... so of course this post is going to make better sense in English than it would in Spanish.

Comment

Apparently the German to American beer conversion is 4:1. Still got room for one more!

Comment

Working...
                            X