Plumbing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing Question

I'm renovating a house and there isn't any plumbing in the slab. The previous plumbing was run on top of the slab and 90 degree down outside the wall into the ground. The toilet and shower were both on raised platforms of about 6-8" or so above the slab. It was poorly done and was failing as is most of the house. What is the best way to run the new plumbing? The bathroom is near the outside wall and not in the center of the house. Has anyone cut into an existing slab to install the plumbing?

That’s a first for me. You can run pex in the attic and down the walls. For the drain lines you can bust the slab like you would if you were relocating them. What about sinks? Any in the middle of the house??

Comment

Bore/cut/jackhammer through slab to get under house, then tunnel under from outside to make connections.

Disclaimer: not a pro plumber, just how I would assume it would go.

Comment

Your just talking about drains correct? Just lay out your 2 parallel lines, cut em with a saw, then make some diagonal cuts between the 2 parallel lines, chip out the pieces, lay your pipe, patch back in, lay your floor. Easy peasy.
        And you're gonna have to do some digging .
        Also they make toilets, that plumb straight through the wall, then 90° down. Pricey though.
        If you want to set your tub flush, you will have to go into the slab, or raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
          That’s a first for me. You can run pex in the attic and down the walls. For the drain lines you can bust the slab like you would if you were relocating them. What about sinks? Any in the middle of the house??
          Nothing in the middle. I'll need drain lines for the toilet, bathroom sink and shower. Those are on the back of the house. On one side of the house will be the kitchen sink and washer drain line. All are near the outer walls. I will need to cut the slab for a water line as well unless I run it above the slab. I plan on using pex from a central location (utility room) up the walls and through the attic to the kitchen and the bathroom. I also plan on having an electric tankless water heater in the utility room.

Comment

I have a bid of $4,000 to cut the slab and install 5 drains and vents. Seems high to me but I don't have the knowledge to install it myself. I can rent a saw and cut the concrete but I'm not real confident I can set the drains and vents and get the pitch correct for proper drainage. I'm trying to get another quote. It's between Tyler and Palestine if anyone has any suggestions on plumbers.

Comment

Ouch, not a great position to be in. Just keep in mind cheapest is not always the best. Research your contractor.

Comment

Post a lay out of your bathroom.

Comment

If its a post tension cabled slab....dont do it. Very very very dangerous if a cable is cut.

Many sewer systems have been rerouted to the exterior in the Austin area due to cracked slabs. Easiest and cheapest route for supply lines is overhead. Ive had to do this on several occasions where the in slab lines have busted from slab cracking and settling.

Comment

I can do it, if your interested. Live in Longview, have all the tools. Definitely beat that price. Wouldn't be until 5he latter part of next week though. Gotta finish up the jobs I'm on.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      I can do it, if your interested. Live in Longview, have all the tools. Definitely beat that price. Wouldn't be until 5he latter part of next week though. Gotta finish up the jobs I'm on.

Sent you a pm

Comment

OP, what you describe is what upstairs apartment dwellers deal with every day. Just install the new stuff properly.

I've jack hammered lots of slabs for commercial work, but why do it for a house?

PM me if you have questions.

Comment

Working...
                        X