No announcement yet.

Tracking dog breeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only thing I'll add that my dad hasn't stated, he has been looking at dogs for protection also, a big dog with a big bark I believe

I'm not putting down JRT, my roommate has one and he's a great dog and has a big bark, but I don't believe it will have the intimidation factor that he is looking for, maybe he will chime in soon

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_243 View Post
      There are several breeds that are great trackers,but the dog, whatever breed, has to have the drive to hunt. Good luck, hope ya pick a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      IMO there are several breeds that are all completely capable of becoming a good tracking job. He wasn't really a formal blood trailing dog, but growing up we had an old blackmouth cur, a male, named Bowie, he had a good natural nose and a great temperament. A tough dog when need be but also a cuddly mess when he wanted to melt your heart. Hands down, one of the best dogs I've ever come to know. He could work cattle and follow a blood trail pretty well for a dog that wasn't really trained, but he had enough natural talent to get the job done the few times we didn't have the ability to locate a deer on our own.

It's more about the particular dog and their temperament than the specific breed that one might be. If you can spend a little time with a litter of pups, I'd say look for the one that has an extra dose of curiosity and enough drive to see a job through until its done. If you find one that seems to show those characteristics and comes from a breed that's known for blood trailing, then I'd go with that individual dog.

Comment

One breed I don't see mentioned very often is wolf dogs; they track well, love being outside, a drive to hunt, and they're incredibly intelligent. We rescued ours a little over a year ago and she has tracked just about everything we have around our house.

Comment

I think you need to decide what you want. There are lots of dogs that will track. I have a boykin and have had a gsp and both of them were instinctive trackers. Not bay dogs and not catch dogs, but they sure could find a dead or wounded deer.

Good luck and let us know what you pick.

Comment

Cathoula, they are such great family dogs and man do they have a nose,

Comment

Yes I like them. There is a guy on here with three left that are great looking dogs. I am about a year from really having the time to work with one and I think that will be the direction I am gonna go. I want a family pet first then a working dog.

Comment

I use hounds.

Comment

Hound

Comment

Originally posted by rattler03 View Post
                    IMO there are several breeds that are all completely capable of becoming a good tracking job. He wasn't really a formal blood trailing dog, but growing up we had an old blackmouth cur, a male, named Bowie, he had a good natural nose and a great temperament. A tough dog when need be but also a cuddly mess when he wanted to melt your heart. Hands down, one of the best dogs I've ever come to know. He could work cattle and follow a blood trail pretty well for a dog that wasn't really trained, but he had enough natural talent to get the job done the few times we didn't have the ability to locate a deer on our own.

It's more about the particular dog and their temperament than the specific breed that one might be. If you can spend a little time with a litter of pups, I'd say look for the one that has an extra dose of curiosity and enough drive to see a job through until its done. If you find one that seems to show those characteristics and comes from a breed that's known for blood trailing, then I'd go with that individual dog.

Can't beat a good cur dog from a proven line. Once you find a good one that'll do it all you'll never own another. We have dachshunds that stay inside. One would be a heck of tracker, but my wife would kill me. I'm starting some old stock curs that I use to hog hunt on deer as well now

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4402.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	24482552Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3874.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	24482553

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                      Can't beat a good cur dog from a proven line. Once you find a good one that'll do it all you'll never own another. We have dachshunds that stay inside. One would be a heck of tracker, but my wife would kill me. I'm starting some old stock curs that I use to hog hunt on deer as well now

[ATTACH]838989[/ATTACH][ATTACH]838990[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Good lucking dogs, sir. I'm glad to see I am not alone in my appreciation for a good cur dog. They're a very versatile breed. I know I guy that works cattle, hog hunts and blood trails among other things with the same group of curs.

Comment

I'm very happy with my Hanoverian Bloodhound. Great tracker and great pet, especially patient with my 5 year old twins which was obviously very important to me.

Comment

Blue Lacy

Comment

Best dog I've seen in a commercial operation is a Beagle.

Comment

I just got a black lab blue lacy mix I'm going to try to use we a blood dog

Comment

Working...
                              X