No announcement yet.

Where to get duck hunting gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weazel ball from Cracker Barrel stuffed inside a standard decoy works great! I picked that tip up from someone on hear awhile back and have been very impressed! It's also easy to move it to different decoys for Teal, Mallards, Wood Ducks, etc.

Comment

TBH Assoc Sponsor: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=decoys

Comment

In my opinion the best duck decoys are Dakota decoys. Here's the link. http://www.dakotadecoy.com/decoys.htm

They aren't cheap but they are my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          great products, no decoys.

Comment

Rogers

Comment

90% of my gear comes from Rogers or Cabelas.

Believe it or not, you can catch a lot of cabelas stuff on a DEEP discount if you know when to look.

As for quality motion in the spread, a weasel ball as mentioned in a cut decoy works great, my favorite would have to be a mallard machine and a few higdon pulsators. Those will work all season and not flare birds. Wing spinners on the other hand (mojo, lucky duck, etc) will flare more birds than anything else late in the season. They work excellent during teal and first season but after about the 2nd week of the second season, my wing spinners go back into their box and on the shelf till teal season again.

Get a jerk a spreader or one from motionducks.com. that changes up the jerk rig game a lot.

Late in the season its hard to beat a mallard machine with 3 decoys on it and a dozen mix of whatever birds typically land where you are.

Comment

Also, depending on the type of hunting you do and how well you take care of your equipment, let that dictate the quality of decoys you buy. Ive killed just as many ducks over game winner decoys and flambeau decoys from the 80s as I have over brand new Dakotas.

I personally don't baby my decoys, when im done hunting, I don't have the patience to put them into slotted bags, I bunch them up and throw them in my decoy sled or bag until the next morning. Ive ran an all Dakota spread for 2 seasons and the paint wore off just as quickly as most brands ive used.

My happy medium is running hardcore and avian x. Mostly hardcore and am very happy with them. Straight out of the box I will slap 2 or 3 coats of flat clear coat on them and that helps a lot on the paint life. I use and abuse them for all of teal season, and both big duck seasons. After my last hunt of the year ill hose them down, wipe them down, put a new coat of flat clear coat and then they hang in my garage till next season.

Take what I say with a grain of salt cause I consider myself fairly green when it comes to duck hunting but these are just a few things ive experienced and learned from others.

Comment

I get the little bit of equipment I use from Macks. It's only about an hour away from my house and about 10 minutes from our duck club, so it's convenient but is a tad expensive.

Don't stress about decoy brand. We leave them in holes all year rather than pick them up and we shoot a few ducks. Get durable stuff that you like and go with it! Doesn't have to be top dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
                    x2

Comment

Originally posted by mrbobsparks View Post
                      In my opinion the best duck decoys are Dakota decoys. Here's the link. http://www.dakotadecoy.com/decoys.htm

They aren't cheap but they are my favorite.
                      Eh, Avian X and GHG both better IMO.

Comment

Rogers is where most of my stuff came from.

Comment

G&H decoys are what we run mainly. I do have some avian x teal decoys because they were on sale with free shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                            90% of my gear comes from Rogers or Cabelas.

Believe it or not, you can catch a lot of cabelas stuff on a DEEP discount if you know when to look.

As for quality motion in the spread, a weasel ball as mentioned in a cut decoy works great, my favorite would have to be a mallard machine and a few higdon pulsators. Those will work all season and not flare birds. Wing spinners on the other hand (mojo, lucky duck, etc) will flare more birds than anything else late in the season. They work excellent during teal and first season but after about the 2nd week of the second season, my wing spinners go back into their box and on the shelf till teal season again.

Get a jerk a spreader or one from motionducks.com. that changes up the jerk rig game a lot.

Late in the season its hard to beat a mallard machine with 3 decoys on it and a dozen mix of whatever birds typically land where you are.

I agree with everything said here.

I made the duck butts that you can buy from Higdon and they put so much motion out there its crazy.

Comment

For those of you who want your decoys to look great you might check out Fowl factory. I want to order some of thier covers but they are not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                                MPW is all you need to know
                                X2

Comment

Working...
                                X