No announcement yet.

NASA Discovers Bigger, Older Cousin to Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, thank god I have 9 lives to see it when time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      I say we ship all the liberals of to newly discovered planet in the habitable zone so they can live really green without us environment polluting folks. What do you guys think?
      I think it's a great idea!!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        You are correct
        But the law of averages would suggest that there is at least 1.
        Most if not all of the of the highly intelligent astrophysist would argue it is virtually impossible that there in not intelligent life somewhere in the universe and very probable in our own galaxy. There are billions of galaxys each holding hundreds of millions of planets.
        I was referring to my earlier post simply stating that in the next 100 years we are more likely NOT to encounter intelligent ET life. In which I believe that I am statistically correct.

But those same astrophyssysts to which you are referring would tell you that the vast majority of earth like planets are lifeless. But since there is life on earth there MUST be other life on some of those planets. After all most of them believe that earth was "seeded" by aliens as the trigger to evolution, so they believe in ET life already.

I guess I am saying that their proof of life on other planets is the fact that there is life here.

Comment

If a person believes in God and that God is the creator of the universe( area with billions of galaxies and hundreds of billions of planets) i dont know how you cant believe there is intelligent life other than ours.
          Our galaxy is smaller than a speck of sand in the universe. I don't have any doubt that God would have created life in more than one place.

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
            Total NASA spending is under 500b since 1958, so about 100 billion less that the defense budget for this year alone. There is absolutely no way of knowing if we would be further ahead if we would have "focused on specific things" since most of the breakthroughs have been invented in response to problems they encountered trying to get things in space.
            And there's no way to know the opposite.

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
            Learning new things isn't important to you?
            Sure it is but what does space teach us that's useful? And I never said it was a bad thing to learn about space. I like Star Trek too. It's spending tons of money in an attempt to find life that I find pretty dumb.

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
            If they found a cluster of living cells on that planet some would celebrate "Life on Kepler!!!"
            A cluster of cells in a woman's womb - living, eh......not so much.

Agreed
            Anyone who says with certainty that we are the only intelligent life in the universe is most likely not intelligent enough to try and have a conversation with
            That is unless that conversation involves some made for tv reality show
            Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
            I'd argue the opposite is more likely.

So where are all the conspiracy theory tin foil hat bashers? So its stupid to believe in government cover ups but you are stupid if you don't believe in aliens? Which is more likely?

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
            I agree 100 percent. We will die off before we destroy the earth with pollution . It is really efficient at protecting itself. CO2 gets to high? We die. Water gets too polluted? We die. When we're gone it will heal itself. Being conscientious about protecting the environment shouldn't be about anything namby pamby like saving the earth. The earth will be just fine. We're ****ed if we pollute it to much. But the earth will fix itself over time when we're gone.
            I can agree with this.

the Hubble Space Telescope site estimates there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe. A recent German super-computer simulation estimates that the number may be as high as 500 billion, with many older than the Milky Way. Common obervational wisdom among astronomers is that there are 17 billion Earth-sized planets in our galaxy. They don't yet know how many of these worlds are in habitable zones, but the implications of this discovery are astounding. Simply put: If there are 17 billion Earth-sized worlds in our galaxy alone, it's clear that the Universe has the potential to be teeming with life.
            There are probably at least 100 billion planets in the Milky Way.[30][31]
            And this means absolutely nothing. Way easier to prove how life was created or to create life versus finding and/or reaching another life form.

What do big bang theory guys say the odds were of life being created on earth? So you would need to find that many (not planets) but planets that could sustain life. How many planets have we found so far that could even sustain life?

Comment

Like i mentioned in an earlier post. Every civilization in the distant past wrote of star people, painted star people on the cave walls, made sculptures and figurines of star people. Even our own native indian tribes mention visitors from the stars.
              Why would peoples from every corner of the planet all mention the same things and visitors?
              And they all wrote of dragons, real witches, and a lot of other things too.

But I will stop posting here and let you guys have your dream. You want to believe in aliens and nothing can change your mind. Like I said on page 1..in 500 years people like you will be saying the same things..and we still won't have found life anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis32 View Post
                Can we name it Obamaland and ship him and the ones that voted for him, to that planet
                I will chip in some funds for this.

And hope there are large man eating insects on the planet

Comment

If a person believes in God and that God is the creator of the universe( area with billions of galaxies and hundreds of billions of planets) i dont know how you cant believe there is intelligent life other than ours.
                  Our galaxy is smaller than a speck of sand in the universe. I don't have any doubt that God would have created life in more than one place.

On the other hand just how many "earths" did Jesus have to go to and die for the forgiveness of since and the opportunity for life in Heaven after your work here on earth is done?
                  The Bible says he was sent to Earth it doesn't mention Kepler anywhere.

just another way of looking at things, that is all

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    And they all wrote of dragons, real witches, and a lot of other things too.

But I will stop posting here and let you guys have your dream. You want to believe in aliens and nothing can change your mind. Like I said on page 1..in 500 years people like you will be saying the same things..and we still won't have found life anywhere else.
                    Good luck with that. I to told my self I would not post or read anymore of this thread either but, like a train wreck or people watching at Walmart sometimes I just can't tear my self away.

Time will tell if you are right about the existence of life anywhere else. I think it will be discovered in my life time but, then I am planning on living for a very long time.

If we do discover man eating bugs on a distant planet I am not sure anyone would put the effort into sending Obama there but, I know for sure some of you would waist extraordinary amounts of time and money to get there and poke it with a sharp stick! More so if it has horns or a big proboscis. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                      On the other hand just how many "earths" did Jesus have to go to and die for the forgiveness of since and the opportunity for life in Heaven after your work here on earth is done?
                      The Bible says he was sent to Earth it doesn't mention Kepler anywhere.

just another way of looking at things, that is all

Where would that be exactly? Are you talking about a real place? I happen to think it is but, I could not tell you where it is or how you can get there except following for the obvious of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian77429 View Post
                        If we do discover man eating bugs on a distant planet
                        Man eating bugs, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
                          I guess this can't just be a cool scientific discovery without bringing politics into it. Sigh. Oh well
                          X2 Some just have their blinders on and can't see a cool story for what it is

Comment

Originally posted by Extremehunter37 View Post
                            X2 Some just have their blinders on and can't see a cool story for what it is

Not so much that as it is ignorance.

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                                And this means absolutely nothing. Way easier to prove how life was created or to create life versus finding and/or reaching another life form.

What do big bang theory guys say the odds were of life being created on earth? So you would need to find that many (not planets) but planets that could sustain life. How many planets have we found so far that could even sustain life?
                                The Big Bang theory doesn't address the creation of life on earth or any other planet for that matter. It addresses, or try's to address, the physical creation of the universe. Most scientists believe that life was planted on earth by aliens as the most likely option.

There is no plausible theory addressing the creation of life in the universe or the creation of the universe from nothing. All theory's point to the creation of "something out of nothing." Which indicates the existence of a Creator.

Comment

Working...
                                X