7MM vs 300WinMag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7MM vs 300WinMag

Assuming same barrel length and the same make in bullet which round would have more KE out to 400 yards
    7MM 175gr
    or
    300WinMag 180gr

I have buddy wanting a bigger gun and I don't know which I would recommend. I have both calibers and both killed animals deader than dead. Only variable I can think of is KE at a longer range like in elk hunting situations.

Thanks

This
    Attached Files

Comment

300WM is going to give you better diversity on bullet weights for a variety of game both here and abroad. 300WM will also push the same weight bullet at higher velocity, but ballistic coefficient and sectional density will be better on 7MAG pills of the same weight (will perform similarly at longer ranges with less recoil).

to me, it is purely a function of what he is wanting to use the rifle for. Grizzly Bear, moose, eland, etc. I would say the 300WM. If it is elk, mule deer, kudu, etc (under 1000lbs, non-dangerous) the 7 mag will be all you ever need.

this is a good article for a deeper dive:

Here's what you need to know about the pros and cons of the 7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag cartridges so you can make an informed decision. The better choice is

Comment

In for discussion. Keep threatening to buy a do all rifle. Prob a 7 mag so I have an excuse to need a 300 at some point.

Comment

If your buddy only shoots factory ammo then the 300 will be better due to availability of those heavier bullets. The majority of factory loadings for the 7mag typically range from 150-160g. I have both, the 7mm is a custom build designed for 180g Bergers and I have a Sako 300 Win that loves 165g. The 300 is a hunting rifle, the other is my long range shooting rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The faster heavier bullet produces more KE. Basic physics..
            But I'm a huge fan of the 7mm Mag...

Comment

I just recently went through this dilemma. I ended up ordering a 7mm rem mag. A 175 gr accubond will kill anything in North America and most of Africa with no issues and do it with less felt recoil which was important to me for a lightweight mountain rifle. If I was building one and not worried about weight I would get a mod 70 in 338 win mag and call it a day.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd also consider the 300 WSM.

Comment

You can't go wrong with either one. Both are time tested and proven calibers that are excellent hunting calibers for North America. The 7 mm rounds have been getting pretty popular lately in some of the different variations like the 28 Nosler. I'm getting tempted to build one of those.

Comment

Like I said I have both. My high country hunting is done with my 300. It came from the Remington custom shop. I believed they called it the Alaskan. With scope it weighs 8.6 pounds and has a muzzle brake. My Remington 700 BDL with scope weighs 9.8 lbs. No big deal caring either to the stand but if your hustling up and down mountains for a week that 1 pound makes huge difference.

Comment

I love my .300 with 200 grain ELD-X bullets. I've pigs and deer with it, and been very happy with it's performance. I haven't killed any big game with it yet. My buddy swears by it in the mountains. He's killed several Elk and mule deer with it.
                      Last edited by Arrowthreat; 11-06-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I like the 300 win mag, I like the
                        7mm rem mag too. But the one I have that I use the most when I want a magnum boom stick is a
                        8mm rem mag.

I just gotta be me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I own both and reload ammo for both. 7 mag all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m basically done with belted magnums calibers but have reloaded both extensively. The 300 will out due anything that the 7mm can put out, has a greater payload selection and generally better BC across similar projectiles. The only thing I don’t care for with the 300 is the short neck profile which can cause tension issues under certain circumstances. They are both good cartridges, I’m working on some 139 grain GMX’s now for dad’s rifle and look forward to seeing the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I prefer the 7mm I just can't stand getting kicked like a mule with the 300 and 7mm ultra mag, I have a 7mm, 7mm ultra mag and 300.

Comment

Working...
                              X