Considering a Career Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
    I wish you all the best in your search! Where in Wimberley to you hunt? We're off Cottonwood and Fisher Store Rd.

I've seen friends in your shoes, and the pressure the situation puts on your search. I am completely aware that I am fortunate to be looking for a job while still employed. I just never expected the amount of time and effort it would take.
    I'm fortunate that I get to hunt right at my house! I'm located where Pumpstation, Mt. Sharp and Mt. Gainor all come together. I pass by Cottonwood / Fisher fairly often cutting across that way to head down to Boerne.

I will say that I did get a good separation package from my employer and can survive some time without a Job, but I really don't want to do that. I'd like to jump right into my next career and use that windfall from my past employer towards savings/retirement.

Comment

I'm in a holding pattern on the contract position until mid-August, but if it's offered, I believe I'll take it. My buddy who works at this company gave me some insight into the team dynamic, and it sounds like I should just get my foot in the door and demonstrate my skills and experience.

My wife has been supportive through this process, and is surprisingly open to the risk of the contract role. We have a decent savings cushion, and with the nice salary bump, we could put more aside in case it's not renewed after a year. Nothing is a guarantee at this point, so I'll wait and see what happens once this hiring manager gets back in town.

Stay tuned.

Comment

What ever you do be sure and remember, you must enjoy what you are doing to make it worthwhile .There is nothing worse than going to work everyday and not being happy about it.

Comment

Heard a quote this morning.
          "If you pray your way into something, you won't have to pray your way out of it" Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie41 View Post
            What ever you do be sure and remember, you must enjoy what you are doing to make it worthwhile .There is nothing worse than going to work everyday and not being happy about it.
            Yessir. I've not been happy at my job for a while now, and it's affecting everything in my life. Not enough to make me outright quit, but believe me, some days I've considered it. With several friends working at this new place, I've heard nothing but positive feedback on the work environment.

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
            Heard a quote this morning.
            "If you pray your way into something, you won't have to pray your way out of it" Good luck!!
            I like it! I've certainly been putting the prayers in, so I'm hoping for the best!

Comment

Well, I have a "final" interview set for tomorrow morning with the hiring manager, with two other managing directors, for the contract role. I'm feeling positive about the discussion, and hope the decision comes quickly. I'll report back with details as I have them. Prayers up, please!

Comment

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Comment

The interview went well! I met with some great folks, and the hiring manager told me she wants to make her decision quickly. I'm hopeful to hear positive news soon.

Comment

Best of luck! I have been an interviewing machine lately and I am now down to the final candidate with a few different leads. Hope to land something soon!

I'm getting tired of talking about myself and I'm ready to get back to work!

Comment

Close the deal. Look them in the eye and ask for the job. No pussyfooting around, simply say you can exceed their expectations and want to job.

Good luck.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Comment

Good luck. I changed careers just over two years ago and regret it. I really miss my old life and want to go back.

Comment

Well, folks, it looks like my search is ending! I'm doing background checks, paperwork, and pee tests this week, so that I can put in my notice early next week.

The gig is an account manager position within the company's in-house creative team. The pay is decent, the benefits are pretty good for a contract role, and the possibility of getting hired full-time (meaning even better pay and benefits) is high.

I've been wanting to get in the door at this place for quite some time, as I have several friends that work there, and are very happy. Having been underpaid for so long, I'm excited to get on a faster track to financial independence and early retirement.

Thanks to everyone for the support, advice, and prayers. Keep 'em coming at least until I step through the door for my first day, and of course, thereafter.

Comment

I put in my two weeks on Friday! Feels good to be moving toward a great opportunity!

After 18 years in one building, I'll admit it's going to feel a little strange trying something new. I've built a lot of great relationships at my current place, and I'll miss some of my daily interactions with long-time friends.

Thanks to everyone who has followed along. The journey isn't over, and I appreciate continued prayers and encouragement.

Comment

Congrats! From reading this entire thread, you've put a lot of work and thought into this move. Get excited for the next chapter!

Comment

I wanted to update, now that this thread is just over a year old.

I am finishing my 3rd week as an account manager at the Charles Schwab Creative Center. I absolutely LOVE this place! The people are friendly, the atmosphere is collaborative, I am working on meaningful projects with clear focus and expectations, and leadership is open to ideas and conversation.

I didn't realize how beat down I felt at my old job until I started the new role. In the past month, my stress level has decreased dramatically, my focus has increased, and I just look forward to going in every day.

Comment

Working...
                                X