Africa vs Texas -Something to think about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa vs Texas -Something to think about

Having recently gotten back from Hunting South Africa I've been following all the SA threads that I can. Seems like every now and then it is mentioned that, "why go all the way there when you can hunt those here? I don't have to buy that expense plane ticket neither". Well, for one, you simply can't recreate the experience and atmosphere. Second, I did a quick google search for African Exotic hunting in Texas to find a few places that offer African species to hunt here in Texas. This is what I found. I have rounded up on the Africa fees because I can't remember exactly what the show package was for Limcroma safaris at TTHA shows. I remember it was under $4K, but I used 4 because it still makes my point. I tried to include all fees incurred when hunting overseas, but as you can see, even if I missed a few fees it still doesn't change the story. I also couldn't find every animal to compare, but again, doesn't change the story. Warthogs don't seem to be offered here in Texas, at least not at the first 3 ranches I came across. I know if you really did your research and shop you may be able to do better on pricing, but I think this highlights the reality.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	25186864

I'm not saying you shouldn't hunt these here, simply that Africa, even including the flight, is NOT more expensive than Texas. To each his/her own. I just wanted to provide real info on both. For those that say you could never afford it, maybe you actually can.

I'll be interested to here other people's thoughts on this. Where did I make mistakes? What else did I miss?

For $8,000, Im eating the meat. My only thought on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
      Not in africa your not

You can spend $8,000, but you can bring it back.

Comment

Not in africa your not
        Then I aint going!

Comment

Then you better eat a bunch if you’re gonna get $8K worth.

My only reason not to go to SA is the damm plane ride. It’s a bargain for what you get, both in numbers of game, the experience, and especially the memories that you would have. That said, I hate airplanes, airports, and TSA, so I won’t be going until teleporting becomes reality.

Comment

You do eat it..........while you are there .

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

My only reason not to go to SA is the damm plane ride. It’s a bargain for what you get, both in numbers of game, the experience, and especially the memories that you would have. That said, I hate airplanes, airports, and TSA, so I won’t be going until teleporting becomes reality.
              This. Plus I could never support those Countries.. Although I'd love to kill a few things just to tick off liberal animal lovers LOL.

OP - Good chart. May help a few guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

same here, and the plane trip to argentina is the reason I ain't goin on a dove shoot even tho I want to bad

Comment

I will be making this trip one day! Start adding in Kudu, sable, or animals like that and it blows it even further out of whack.

Comment

I get it with the cost being better all in all but there is just something to be said about the eating part as well.

SA is purely a trophy hunt, you get to eat some meat (the rest I'm sure is donated locally) while there but thats it.

Maybe my opinion on meatless trophy hunts would be different if I could afford them in my discretionary funds

I'm sure the experience is the real joy people get out of it.

Comment

For me I am past wanting trophies to mount so I want the meat. Can't bring it back from Africa. That meat has a good dollar value too. Plus shooting females is way cheaper than the trophies.

Comment

Well I leave Friday for my first safari in SA so I will have to report back!

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                          same here, and the plane trip to argentina is the reason I ain't goin on a dove shoot even tho I want to bad
                          Yes the plane trip to Argentina was the reason I did not go stag hunting. I had everything lined up with an outfitter just to find out that his rough quote on a flight was 3000.00 off.
                          I’m under the assumption that San Antonio airport is not set up for international flights, to get to Argentina was 6500.00 and that was the cheapest I could find. Plus I had 13 hour layover in Argentina because they only had one flight a day where I was going.

Comment

I’ve been over there 4 times. It would have cost me a whole lot more to kill those critters here, and I never would have gotten to experience Africa!!!! And, some of the critters I’ve taken are not available here.

I’m scheming on how to get back over there for a fifth time as I type!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm ready to commit. I don't want a bunch of trophies. Maybe one or two and a few management animals. No room for many at the house. But just to have done it. Hell I work hard to have an extra income. May as well enjoy it.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X