Is it more worth it to buy or lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it more worth it to buy or lease

In the wake of the lease cost thread. Do yall think its more worth it to buy or lease. I see advantages to both. What does the Green Screen say?

Buy if you can

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

No question you buy if you have that kinda coin.

Comment

For hunting alone, lease for me. I own and hunt it... but it gets too predictable quick. For the price of 1-2 payments I can hunt somewhere new... and not pay taxes on it.

Best thing I did was get out of Texas for bang for your buck. And most are equal driving for me for comparable deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          For hunting alone, lease for me. I own and hunt it... but it gets too predictable quick. For the price of 1-2 payments I can hunt somewhere new... and not pay taxes on it.

Best thing I did was get out of Texas for bang for your buck. And most are equal driving for me for comparable deer.
          Yeah this is my concern. I would like to buy, but it would small, 40acs or less and that would make it difficult.

Comment

I’ve done both and personally I’d rather lease. I like to hunt different places, just gotta find the right deal. If I could afford a 1200 acre ranch for 1-3 million then I’d be definitely doing that but, don’t see that as an option anytime soon.
            Don’t have to mess with fences or repairs is nice.

Comment

With 40 acres (me personally) would be bored with it quick. It either has or doesn’t have a “shooter” on it from year to year as well as neighbors pressure would dictate how good or bad my place would hunt. And for $80k-$160k in payments I can hunt my @$$ off in premier places if I do my homework... and again that’s not including improving property or taxes. Buying land is a great investment... as long as it’s not just for hunting

Comment

Just remember that being able to afford to buy a ranch is different than being able to afford owning a ranch. You can easily spend more annually on maintenance/improvements than you would for a nice lease. At least it’s yours so that money is well spent. However, quite a few people end up selling their weekend place because the cost of upkeep becomes too much of a burden, or they don’t have the time to do all the work themselves.

Comment

Well this is what Im looking at. Buying acerage out of state bordering public hunting.

Or, a place on the lake with public hunting very close. Price for each is about the same. Both will be where I retire.

Comment

No way most of the group could purchase a place. I would want a minimum of 1k acres and we all know what that cost in South/West Texas. I grew up with close to 300acres available to hunt and it got small real quick. But if money wasn't the issue...of course, I'd rather buy than lease for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                      No way most of the group could purchase a place. I would want a minimum of 1k acres and we all know what that cost in South/West Texas. I grew up with close to 300acres available to hunt and it got small real quick. But if money wasn't the issue...of course, I'd rather buy than lease for sure.
                      Well, money is an issue. Im looking at 40-60k. Out of state property is WAAYYY cheaper than Tx property.

Comment

Its different.

Buy land as an investment, you'll make money in the long run and get to hunt. But for the larger ranches it takes big coins.

Leasing is less expensive but it still takes a good bit of coins to play, then factor in all the drama and constant changes makes one wonder if its really worth the effort.

That's why hunting out of state the best option. jmo

Last edited by Thumper; 10-14-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

We would buy property if we could. Not an option right now financially, so either we lease or we don't hunt. Lease it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                            Familiar looking dog

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                              I’ve done both and personally I’d rather lease. I like to hunt different places, just gotta find the right deal. If I could afford a 1200 acre ranch for 1-3 million then I’d be definitely doing that but, don’t see that as an option anytime soon.
                              Don’t have to mess with fences or repairs is nice.
                              Good info everybody. I appreciate it. Keep them coming. Thanx

Comment

Working...
                              X